Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Is there a way that I can change it so that when I use the command, shift 4 combination, it will automatically save as a jpeg file instead of a pdf file? Thanks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The default in Tiger is PNG...in prior releases it was PDF. Download TinkerTool...it allows you set the file format to one of any number of formats. Check the "General" pane for this option.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's annoying (and rather silly) that the Grab utility doesn't give you a choice of format when you save.

And it seems to use tiff instead of png!

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
mine save as jpegs, and it had a drop down menu to choose TIFF's too let me figure out which program that was and i'll post it.

edit: COCKTAIL - its a neat little program sort of like tweak UI used to be for windows. but you have to purchase it if you want to use it long term

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
screenshot

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 73

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iBlue said:
i capture to clipboard and paste into photoshop and save however i need it.
For most people, that choice might be little over their budget for screenshot software!

But if you've got it, why not use it?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Doctor Q said:
For most people, that choice might be little over their budget for screenshot software!

But if you've got it, why not use it?

i forget that not everyone has it. it's vital on my computers :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Why do people do all of these acrobatics to convert the filetypes? Use TinkerTool or Cocktail to set it to the format you want to use most. Mine is set to PNG and I rarely have a need to use anything else, but if I do, I open up TinkerTool, change the filetype, and take my picture...it's that simple.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
If you don't want to use TinkerTool etc, then just capture to clipboard, open preview, apple-n to paste into preview, and then save as what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.