Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebalvarez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2022
tvOS has this screensaver setting:

IMG_5893 Large.jpeg

Problem is, it never works. It didn't work in my Apple TV 4K 2021, and it doesn't work in the 2022 (yes, I'm one of the suckers who bought the 2022 version that had barely anything new compared to the 2021, not even a decent DAC to output 96 Khz audio).

And until last week I didn't care because I had an LED TV set, but now I have an OLED, and that kind of thing matters. It was a huge expense for me, even if I got it on sale $100 less, but still over $1,700 with tax included. So I want to make sure it lasts for several years, as in more than 10.

While it has a shortcut to turn the screen off, that's something you have to do manually, and I already forgot a few times because I wasn't used to do it.

So I don't get it, is this setting really for the Music app, or does it refer to some other type of music? I never listen to podcasts, so I don't know if it happens with those as well, but I know it never starts the screen saver when I start playing an album in the Music app.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
There have been other posts about this. It's definitely a problem for owners of OLED TVs who want to avoid static images. It should be easily fixable by Apple, but appears to be low on the list of priorities. Maybe not many people use Apple TV for playing music or listening to podcasts.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
There have been other posts about this. It's definitely a problem for owners of OLED TVs who want to avoid static images. It should be easily fixable by Apple, but appears to be low on the list of priorities. Maybe not many people use Apple TV for playing music or listening to podcasts.
If you’re planning on pressing play and just leaving it for a while you can still manually activate the screensaver, unfortunately it means backing out to the Homescreen to do so but it’s a good workaround until it gets resolved.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I’ve got this issue also. Switched from Spotify to Apple Music. The screensavers kicked on fine with Spotify so it‘s a minor kick in the balls that it doesn’t work on Apple’s own app.

Reactions: satcomer

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There are a few screen saver settings that haven’t worked in a long time.

Some tvOS updates will fix a few bugs, while others break them again, or add new ones.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I’ve got this issue also. Switched from Spotify to Apple Music. The screensavers kicked on fine with Spotify so it‘s a minor kick in the balls that it doesn’t work on Apple’s own app.
Not entirely sure since when but screensavers are now working again with Apple Music.

Reactions: Edd70

sebalvarez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2022
Actually I recently forgot to turn off the screen in my OLED TV set and I realized that music was playing and the screensaver was on. Except of course when I turned on lyrics for one song, but when I turned lyrics off again, the screen saver started after the 5 minutes I have it set to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.