Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
people taking regular notes with Apple Pencil on their new 9.7' iPad Pro using any note taking APP. Can someone please put a screenshot of how does it look ? How does the entire note taking page look on the iPad Pro ? Wanted to have an Idea what is the deal ? If someone can...

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
These are all from the GoodNotes app.

1. When I have the time to slowly craft my notes using the zoom box.
0b1rRYr.png

2. Taking notes during lectures
YNFidQS.png

3. Annotating lecture slides
TbGtPNe.png

4. Scribing on the fly. This one is a little tricky, I had to remove some ink to de-identify the subject. With the 9.7 iPad Pro, I usually hold it in landscape when writing while walking/standing around the wards. This gives the width of roughly that of A4, so I only have to scroll vertically. This way I don't have to use the zoom box.
btkauCx.png

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012

2. Taking notes during lecture
4. Scribing on the fly. This one is a little tricky, I had to remove some ink to de-identify the subject. With the 9.7 iPad Pro, I usually hold it in landscape when writing while walking/standing around the wards. This gives the width of roughly that of A4, so I only have to scroll vertically. This way I don't have to use the zoom box.

Wow !! That is just amazing ! It looks so Neat ! Good for you ! Looks like you are enjoying your experience with the Apple Pencil so far !!

And this is all on the new 9.7" iPad Pro using Apple Pencil ? right ?

Last edited:

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Yes, yes and yes. I have tried many many styli before the Apple Pencil, and this is the first time I feel absolutely comfortable writing on the iPad. Especially when on-the-go, the speed, fluidity and reliability of Pencil + GoodNotes are just incredible. The writing experience rivals pen and paper IMO, yet it includes features like undo, automatic filing and backup, that pen and paper do not offer.

EsbenJohnson

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
Wow those notes look great, LouisLoh!

I want an iPad Pro now!

Hate taking notes on paper, because I can't keep track of where my notes go - I lose the a lot.. iPad Pro with the Apple pencil will certainly help a lot.

Reactions: baypharm

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Wow those notes look great, LouisLoh!

I want an iPad Pro now!

Hate taking notes on paper, because I can't keep track of where my notes go - I lose the a lot.. iPad Pro with the Apple pencil will certainly help a lot.

You're too kind!

I agree, with the iPad Pro, I can have multiple notebooks (without carrying all of them), and simply insert pages into any one of them. The convenience of digital filing, while not new or exclusive to the iPad, does help a lot in organising notes, especially if you write tons of them.

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
dMafQON.png

This is an older picture. If I really took the time to write my notes, they'd look like this. This is done on an iPad Air + GoodNotes + Adonis Jot Pro. This would take WAY longer than writing with the Apple Pencil though. I've tried to replicate this handwriting with the Pencil, and it's possible, but again it just takes way too long. I could do this a few years back, but with work piling up, I just need to write legible notes without spending too much time. But this just shows the capability of the software.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I've owned tons of tablets with stylii over the past several years, including a couple of Surface Pros. The Apple pencil is the first one that really feels to me like a paper replacement.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
This is an older picture. If I really took the time to write my notes, they'd look like this. This is done on an iPad Air + GoodNotes + Adonis Jot Pro. This would take WAY longer than writing with the Apple Pencil though. I've tried to replicate this handwriting with the Pencil, and it's possible, but again it just takes way too long. I could do this a few years back, but with work piling up, I just need to write legible notes without spending too much time. But this just shows the capability of the software.

:eek: You a calligraphy artist or something ?
[doublepost=1460199918][/doublepost]And I wonder while in a meeting or so....is it more faster and comfortable to type ? or take notes on one of these notes taking app using the Apple Pencil ?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Theres no Way these are real notes above no one has the time to be this meticulous. these are either study notes done after the lecture or some kind of Demo notes done by professionals. I use to just drop off my digital voice recorder at the front of the class and listen and re-listen to the lectures.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
so it may not be still all that quicker and comfortable to write and take notes with pencil while in an actual meeting ?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Now if only there was an app that would let you write out notes just like you would on a standard paper notepad, and then with a tap convert them to text. So far, the handwriting recognition apps I've found do not do that. They either force you to save each page as a separate file or simply change the keyboard into a place to write.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Now if only there was an app that would let you write out notes just like you would on a standard paper notepad, and then with a tap convert them to text. So far, the handwriting recognition apps I've found do not do that. They either force you to save each page as a separate file or simply change the keyboard into a place to write.

Have you tried notes plus ? What is your take on that ?

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
:eek: You a calligraphy artist or something ?
[doublepost=1460199918][/doublepost]And I wonder while in a meeting or so....is it more faster and comfortable to type ? or take notes on one of these notes taking app using the Apple Pencil ?

If you're taking minutes for a meeting, typing from scratch would probably be more efficient, TBH. If you're annotating PDFs, the Pencil would probably be a good way to go. In my particular use case, I annotate lecture slides and write while on the wards for the most part when it comes to taking notes. For these, the Pencil is unbeatable. You can't even type on a keyboard when you're standing/walking.
[doublepost=1460206860][/doublepost]
Theres no Way these are real notes above no one has the time to be this meticulous. these are either study notes done after the lecture or some kind of Demo notes done by professionals. I use to just drop off my digital voice recorder at the front of the class and listen and re-listen to the lectures.

Yes the ones on the yellow paper are not taken in real time. Go to my first post and images 2, 3 and 4 are all written in real time with no post-editing.
[doublepost=1460207028][/doublepost]
so it may not be still all that quicker and comfortable to write and take notes with pencil while in an actual meeting ?

This is in comparison to typing?

If you're writing up notes from scratch, typing would be faster. If you're annotating PDFs of meeting agendas for example, the Pencil might come up on top. It also depends on how fast you write with pen and paper. In practice, the Apple Pencil is as fast as writing with pen and paper, and even more efficient if you make mistakes and need to 'undo' them.

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
I have tried quite a few of the recommended notes apps like notability, good notes etc but have settled with NotesPlus. I am a school teacher and have created a diary/day planner book using one of the templates, and am loving its functionality. I have made several folders/notebooks in the Notes Plus app that contain all my admin stuff like student info, records, weekly programs. I can export and access my diary on my iMac, I can email any of my diary pages to my teaching colleagues if needed. It has ability to add photos, PDFs, a record function, a lasso tool, automatic saving etc. And NotesPlus works perfectly with my Apple pencil. I am getting used to having a paperless daybook but I am trying to give it a real go in order to simplify my planning. I use my iPP and pencil many times a day in my classroom and having my diary also on my iPad tops it all off. Well worth
image.png

Last edited:

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
LouisLoh: Thanks for your posts. I have been keeping electronic notebooks using various notebook apps (Circus Ponies, Notebook, etc) but have been limited to typing entries. I just bought an apple pencil and plan to migrate my new notebooks to GoodNotes based on your examples. I work with clients and like to add pages to cover each important meeting, job completed, etc. Being able to jot down quick handwritten notes will be a major advantage.

Your examples are great.

ccrgt: Great example of a daily planning notebook. Thanks for sharing.

tom504

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2009
God I wish my handwriting was that good, pure chicken scratch.

great examples of the note taking capabilities, thanks for posting.

2. Taking notes during lectures

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Anyone have a film screen protector on? I've read that it imitates the feel of writing on paper compared to a tempered glass or naked screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.