Screenshot Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by NatronB, May 22, 2003.

1. NatronB macrumors regular

All-

How does one take a screenshot of a DVD movie? I tried my handy 'open apple-shift-3' bit, that didn't work. I then tried using 'Grab,' that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    -Nate

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You can't take screen shots of the apple DVD player. Its a copywright issue, apple blocks the screen shot functions when the player is open. You can download another DVD player, VLC, at http://www.videolan.org/. This progam allows you to take screen shots, although it doesn't run that well on older systems.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

4. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

I think it depends on what type of graphics card you have.

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

run a search at versiontracker. There is an app called DVD capture (how fitting). It works quite well.

Yes, because of copyright issues you cannot legally take a screenshot that will be used commercially (e.g. in an ad, magazine cover, etc.), without consent from the producers and copyright holders.

Sorry, this rant was brought to you by:

MoparShaha's spelling of copywright. ;)

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I think it even comes bundled with some new computers. I know for a fact that it's on my Power Mac.

7. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

It comes bundled with the "Pro" line of computers. It did not come on my iBook, but when my boss bought a Ti 1GHz (with 1GB ram, 60GB HD :D) it came preloaded.