Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
All-

How does one take a screenshot of a DVD movie? I tried my handy 'open apple-shift-3' bit, that didn't work. I then tried using 'Grab,' that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Nate

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
You can't take screen shots of the apple DVD player. Its a copywright issue, apple blocks the screen shot functions when the player is open. You can download another DVD player, VLC, at http://www.videolan.org/. This progam allows you to take screen shots, although it doesn't run that well on older systems.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
run a search at versiontracker. There is an app called DVD capture (how fitting). It works quite well.

Yes, because of copyright issues you cannot legally take a screenshot that will be used commercially (e.g. in an ad, magazine cover, etc.), without consent from the producers and copyright holders.

Sorry, this rant was brought to you by:

MoparShaha's spelling of copywright. ;)

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Freg3000
I think it even comes bundled with some new computers. I know for a fact that it's on my Power Mac.

It comes bundled with the "Pro" line of computers. It did not come on my iBook, but when my boss bought a Ti 1GHz (with 1GB ram, 60GB HD :D) it came preloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.