Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Well here's the thing....I'm a graphic designer and very visual. Which is probably why I didn't continue into programming in college. Lately, I've been growing warmer to the idea of creating scripts or small app's to help in my everyday work and home projects. The problem is that I'm not sure which would be the best language to start learning. I've been told to venture into the following one's, Apple Script, Java, C++, Visual Basic. What do you guys think has the smallest learning curve and/or will benefit me to learn all-around? Thanks!

~e

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I'd try AppleScript first. It's pretty strait-forward. They should be some sample scripts already on your computer. /Applications/AppleScript/Sample Scripts

Enjoy.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
second that. it's a "natural language" script, which means the syntax is pretty straightforward and easy to read. you'll see a lot of statements like "tell application 'Finder'" and 'click button "ok"' and such, instead of a lot of computerese. it makes it easier to jump in when you don't have to learn a completely new syntax.

not to mention that your mac is meant to be applescripted. a lot of applications are scriptable, which gives you even more control. go to Apple's applescript page for more information.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
applescript is very powerful and taps into the power of osx's core technologies. you can even use applescript studio to create full aqua applications.

don't overlook shell scripting or perl scripting, they run through the command line (mostly) but are very powerful.

if you're looking for more programming-language type scripting, there's a project to allow you to create cocoa applications using little more than python code.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
This may be a dumb question BUT can I carry over the AppleScript coding outside of the Mac platform? Well, perhaps not use the coding per say but it's structure into another type of multiplatform coding? I think that makes sense?...Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
As far as I have used it Applescript Studio is fun, easy and powerful. Since you can use it to execute terminal commands it opens up a lot more. I have had a good time using it. If you want cross platform portability then you might want to look into RealBasic, which is more complex than applescript, yet still simpler than say, Objective C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.