Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Is it possible to reprogram the scroll bars is OS X to be wider?

kpua

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
It should be possible to do so in your own applications by subclassing NSScroller. The size of the scroller isn't hard coded, as can be seen by the fact that NSScroller has a "small" size. A properly designed subclass should allow a scroller of any width (perhaps within certain limits), though it's probably a lot more work than you would guess.

If you succeed in creating that, there might be a possibility of making that class pose as NSScroller for all Cocoa applications. I highly doubt in the feasibility of doing this, and then again, it would only affect Cocoa applications.

So, if you're looking to change the scroller width throughout the system, I'd say you're out of luck.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
you could probably do this with images as well, when the user clicks on the down button to scroll down, have it set the position of another image down lower or whatever you want, and have the up arrow do the opposite. Then have an image that shows the location that is draggable up down left right that will changed the position. It may take longer to code, and you'd have to setup everything to scroll based on it, but its possible (at least I think).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.