Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Doesn't matter what Apple does, the isheep will vehemently protect them at all costs.

Just like the "s-sheep" defended Samsung for copying Apple's designs?

No one is saying that someone who got a phone scuffed out of the box shouldn't return it.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Quit calling it scuffed. It's scratched. The anodizing is being scratched off. Scuffs are for dress shoes.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Why would they say anything? The affected users is probably about 1% of the people less, every phone coming out of launch wont be 100% pristine mint condition, it happens. Scuffgate is nothing, if you scratch your phone it will show espcially metal i dont understand some of you guys. "OMG Apple didnt make themetal indestructible, lets call it destructiblegate". Yes im aware some people have cell radio problems, screen blotches etc, all you have to do is go to the Apple store, make a appointment, and you get a new iphone at no charge.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
I love Apple...but those acting like this isn't a big deal are way off base.

This problem is real and it's serious. I never though "antenna-gate" was a big deal, but this is just nuts. On my 2nd iPhone 5 and this one has 2 dings on the back.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
The affected users is probably about 1% of the people
And you know that based on...? Thankfully you said "probably" so let others decide about probability for themselfs. Based on nearly 1000 voters in the poll from different thread we can suspect the problem is bigger than 1%, and absolutely something out of ordinary typical statistic failures. Time will tell how big of a problem it really is and will be. For now it doesn't look promising...

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
This is affecting FAR more than 1%. So far I'm 2 for 2 on iPhone 5s having problems straight out of the box.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I'm pissed, because I wanted to buy an iPhone 5 32gb factory unclocked without a carrier contract, which is 789 euro = 1020$. No way am I gonna spend more than a grand for something that's scuffed and scratched out of box.

Texran

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
Why not just put a case on it like 75 % or more do. Ok, mine is perfect so I've got nothing to complain about, but i carry naked so they're coming. In reality, nothing is perfect.
I had a Motorola phone where the paint was coming off showing the aluminum, I took off all the paint and thought it looked pretty cool.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Why not just put a case on it like 75 % or more do. Ok, mine is perfect so I've got nothing to complain about, but i carry naked so they're coming. In reality, nothing is perfect.
I had a Motorola phone where the paint was coming off showing the aluminum, I took off all the paint and thought it looked pretty cool.
What's the point in buying sleek devices to put them in ugly cases?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

++

I've had my iPhone 4 with no case for years. Not an offensive mark, just slight wear. It's mixed in with lots of keys, coins, and generally sharp hard things. Nothing.

They designed the iPhone 4 for the 'real world'.

They designed the iPone 5 for fantasy land. :D

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
This is slightly overblown now. People are acting like they buy a black version and its silver before they go to bed that night

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
++

I've had my iPhone 4 with no case for years. Not an offensive mark, just slight wear. It's mixed in with lots of keys, coins, and generally sharp hard things. Nothing.

Cause Iphone 4 is not made out of of recycled coke cans

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Cause Iphone 4 is not made out of of recycled coke cans

It's made out of Gorillas. ;)

----------

This is slightly overblown now. People are acting like they buy a black version and its silver before they go to bed that night

Uh, this is the point. It's about like this.

Put this phone in a pair of jeans for a day, along with your keys and coins, and then put it on your nightstand later that night. It's hosed.....one day.

Or course this is nothing new. It's just the nature of the materials. Everyone saw it coming. Many warned.

JDBaughman

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012

Whaaaaat?!?

The otterbox defender is not ugly... And if you go to let's say, Afghanistan, it helps. If you spend over $100 for a phone and it would cost you $150-$800 to replace it, then why the hell wouldn't you use a case... Sounds like without one, your just asking for trouble... I think the point is that you WANT to protect your investment, NOT set it up for failure

*Edit*

Also, the casemate tough extreme case for the iPhone 5 looks better and is better quality than the iPhone5 IMO. Same as the Case Mate Phantom tough case for the iP4...

JDBaughman

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
I know Afghanistan is wayyyy out there but there ARE a lot of service members on here... So I was using my own personal military experiences as a reference so that the others could relate. (Just wanted to clear that up)

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Why is it that when Apple makes a mistake, fanboys just try to over look it as if the person criticizing it is over critical? Fanboys can never accept that apple can can make a mistake. I guess that's the definition of a fanboy.

I'm not an apple fanboy. If I was I would be way too critical. I could care less. I've got a nick on mine but u can only see it if u squint and take a bright light to it. I could care less it's only 200 bucks

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
It's made out of Gorillas. ;)

----------

Uh, this is the point. It's about like this.

Put this phone in a pair of jeans for a day, along with your keys and coins, and then put it on your nightstand later that night. It's hosed.....one day.

Or course this is nothing new. It's just the nature of the materials. Everyone saw it coming. Many warned.
And you wonder why it gets scratched :rolleyes:

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
When Steve Jobs was designing the original iPhone, it was incredibly important that it wouldn't scratch because he knew people would be carrying it in their pockets with keys and coins.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
A smudge, would be easily cleant off. A "scuff" dent, and paint chips, as what people have been finding on their UNOPENED iPhone 5's, is a problem. No customer should at all be accepting this from a BRAND NEW product.

To call people idiots and be idiotic is just plain rude.

So I'll ask you again, would you accept a crack in the screen of YOUR brand new Macbook Pro? No. So why on earth should people on here accept these defects as normal? No, they surely should NOT.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video

Watch the video, you see the Black and Slate iPhone 5? Notice it is it free from the defects people are finding? This is what is to be expected when they first unbox their brand new iPhone 5.

And to quote Jonny Ive from the video, "Never before have we built a product, with this extraordinary level of fit and finish" - This is clearly not the case for some people.

Apple is king for customer service and allowing anyone with these defects to get a brand new iPhone 5 without question. That's fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If I received a phone that was scratched out of the box, I'd return it. Even though it will undoubtedly get some nicks over a year or two of use, it's more the principle of the thing. A brand new product should look brand new. I wouldn't buy a new car from the dealer with lots of scuff marks on the bumper, nor would I buy a new suit with small tears or wear spots.

Last edited by a moderator:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
And you wonder why it gets scratched :rolleyes:

Well? What am I supposed to do, baby the thing? And why would I do that considering my iPhone 4 can take anything.

I'll just keep the 4, or get the white one. I just don't what to go there with the black one.

I mean, what if it scratched enough to prevent a return? Most returns require some sort of original condition requirement. People here might say it doesn't matter, but I don't know this for sure, and won't probably for a while.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
If I received a phone that was scratched out of the box, I'd return it. Even though it will undoubtedly get some nicks over a year or two of use, it's more the principle of the thing. A brand new product should look brand new. I wouldn't buy a new car from the dealer with lots of scuff marks on the bumper, nor would I buy a new suit with small tears or wear spots.

Thank you! This is what I'm trying to get at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.