Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vfxdog

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
A massive improvement how? I mean, the whole point of the SE (other than cost) is to continue to offer the iPhone 8 form factor to those who prefer it, so apart from the major CPU improvement and improved camera performance I’m not sure what you were hoping it would offer over your 8.
Well, you summed it up yourself with your "other than cost" reasoning.

In the UK, where I am based right now, a 256GB SE3 is around £550 (over US$700). Not something to be batted away lightly.

The comparison is against a phone that was released nearly 5 years ago. If I had a 2017 car, I'd expect the 2022 version of the same thing to be greatly improved on many fronts, especially in terms of electronics and capability.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
In the UK, where I am based right now, a 256GB SE3 is around £550 (over US$700). Not something to be batted away lightly.
I’d be all over it at £550, how about. ??

1647906847537.jpeg

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
I’d be all over it at £550, how about. 👇😂

View attachment 1978186
Assuming that’s Australian dollars that’s still ~680$ USD, which is worse than me with $789 CAD (~630$ USD) but much better than @vfxdog with what looks like the equivalent of 750$ USD at the current exchange rate (569 GBP).

For comparison, the price for 256 GB is only 580 USD on the US Apple store, so we’re all getting an export market price hike at different levels of painfulness... still though, how/why is it that much more expensive in the UK than in Australia, where the shipping costs are presumably much higher?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Assuming that’s Australian dollars that’s still ~680$ USD, which is worse than me with $789 CAD (~630$ USD) but much better than @vfxdog with what looks like the equivalent of 750$ USD at the current exchange rate (569 GBP).

For comparison, the price for 256 GB is only 580 USD on the US Apple store, so we’re all getting an export market price hike at different levels of painfulness... still though, how/why is it that much more expensive in the UK than in Australia, where the shipping costs are presumably much higher?

UK includes 20% VAT?

Do note US pricing doesn’t include any taxes. That $580 is more like $640 with 10.25% sales tax for me. If you add 20% tax, it’s around $700.

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
UK includes 20% VAT?

Do note US pricing doesn’t include any taxes. That $580 is more like $640 with sales tax for me.
Ah right! Forgot they did that there. I honestly prefer it that way since things get marketed at their actual cost, though for a place like Canada it would be tricky since different provinces have different sales tax rates. In my corner of the country, sales tax would bring the price up to ~725 USD, so only 25$ off from UK prices.

Reactions: LFC2020

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ah right! Forgot they did that there. I honestly prefer it that way since things get marketed at their actual cost, though for a place like Canada it would be tricky since different provinces have different sales tax rates. In my corner of the country, sales tax would bring the price up to ~725 USD, so only 25$ off from UK prices.

Same in the US. Sales tax is all over the place. Lol, in California, different cities have different sales tax rates.

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
The comparison is against a phone that was released nearly 5 years ago. If I had a 2017 car, I'd expect the 2022 version of the same thing to be greatly improved on many fronts, especially in terms of electronics and capability.
I guess the issue is that smartphones have been "good enough" for most people for a while now, so despite 3 generations of improvements in CPU and GPU since the 8 (which, to be clear, have been extremely impressive), you're usually not going to notice a huge benefit in day-to-day life. The days where smartphones were evolving so fast that 3 years was an eternity are over. That's why phone manufacturers have been going in so hard on having 3-5 cameras on their phones now: since performance bumps aren't going to be that noticeable anymore, they're trying to give people a different reason to drop 700-1000$ USD on a new device.

I'm still using an original 2016 iPhone SE (two generations behind your iPhone 8's chip), and apart from the camera and an aging battery it's still fast and fluid on most websites and apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
One under-appreciated “feature” of the TouchID phones like the SE is the ability to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access control center.

It makes using the phone one handed A LOT easier and swiping down from the top right of the screen with the other phones is cumbersome and not the same.

TouchID and being able to swipe up for control center are a match made in heaven!

100% agree with this! 😀

Reactions: sorgo †

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Well, you summed it up yourself with your "other than cost" reasoning.

I just checked and the 256 GB SE3 is actually £569, so for £60 more one could buy an Iphone 13 Mini 128 GB from Amazon for £629, which would be considered the better phone... however, if one prefers Touch ID, is sensitive to OLED PWM or just likes the classic form factor more, then its irrelevant.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I just checked and the 256 GB SE3 is actually £569, so for £60 more one could buy an Iphone 13 Mini 128 GB from Amazon for £629, which would be considered the better phone... however, if one prefers Touch ID, is sensitive to OLED PWM or just likes the classic form factor more, then its irrelevant.
More drama than desperate housewives, when it comes to the SE.

Ripping deal on the mini. ?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Of course, unlike the iPad mini 6 or Air 5, the SE has a 128GB option for £469 or just £50 more than base.

That said, to me the price difference between the SE3 and 13 mini is negligible. I would've switched to the mini already if it didn't have OLED PWM.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
You are a photographer and the one camera of SE3 is enough for you, then no one should need to buy iPhone 13 Pro/Non Pro or even 12 because of the camera.
Well, I'd also assume a photographer is probably often carrying a real camera. For a lot of people their iPhone is their only camera so they might want more than the SE3 is capable of.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I’m having trouble deciding what should I upgrade to from my iPhone 8, the SE3 or 13 Mini?

On one hand I love TouchID, on the other the 13 Mini is almost perfect. At the same time my iPhone 8 runs flawlessly. Maybe I’ll just wait it out until September and see what Apple has in store.
If you have any iPhone 8 accessories you like, I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you can actually still use them on the SE3 because the form factor is the same.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’m having trouble deciding what should I upgrade to from my iPhone 8, the SE3 or 13 Mini?

On one hand I love TouchID, on the other the 13 Mini is almost perfect. At the same time my iPhone 8 runs flawlessly. Maybe I’ll just wait it out until September and see what Apple has in store.

As much as I prefer TouchID, I would've switched to the iPhone mini already if it didn't have OLED. The Night Mode camera has been useful quite a few times (e.g. taking pictures of wall outlets behind furniture).

Last edited:

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Nice, balanced rundown, under 10 minutes:

EDIT: Interestingly, it appears that at least to Jaesun here the camera stands out among the new SE’s selling points due to A15 post-processing magic which brings it considerably, sometimes uncannily close to its iPhone 13 brethren. May be something to consider @majkom :p

Last edited:

rr23

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2021
I could never go back to a larger phone. My 13 Pro always felt like a brick.

My new SE 3 is much lighter and smaller. In my world, it’s the sweet spot for a cell phone. Touch ID beats Face ID all day, every day, at everything, including speed and practicality.

Also, LCD > OLED because my headaches are gone.

win, win

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
How easy is it to swipe down from the top right of the screen to access control center on the 13 Mini?
Super easy and convenient. It’s the perfect amount of distance for my thumb to travel without straining my wrist, which was an issue I had on every modern iPhone design. Reachability is rarely if ever required—from memory I’m not sure I’ve used it once on this phone, although I wouldn’t give much thought to it if I had.

After experiencing multiple iPhone sizes over the past few generations I wholeheartedly feel that this is the standard size a phone should be. Give me a miniature phone with a high pixel density. iPhone 13 feels like the same phone but larger because duh, but the display is noticeably less sharp and I prefer iPhone 13 Mini. It’s an incredible little device which unfortunately still suffers from a flickering but beautiful display.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
If you have any iPhone 8 accessories you like, I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you can actually still use them on the SE3 because the form factor is the same.
No accessories, use my 8 naked :cool:

Super easy and convenient.
Interesting, if that's the case and now that FaceID works with masks, the Mini is now even more enticing. Not sure how my eyes and mind handle OLED displays but I'm still gonna wait and see until the next iPhone event before pulling the trigger.

Like mentioned before, my iPhone 8 (in gorgeous product red, the right shade of red just like the SE3, 13 Mini) runs very well and I have no major complaints about it aside from the deteriorated battery life.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Super easy and convenient. It’s the perfect amount of distance for my thumb to travel without straining my wrist, which was an issue I had on every modern iPhone design. Reachability is rarely if ever required—from memory I’m not sure I’ve used it once on this phone, although I wouldn’t give much thought to it if I had.

For me, it's pretty difficult. Have to do finger acrobatics to open the Control Center. Granted, I'm 5'2" with short stubby fingers.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.