Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
No wonder Apple claims SE3 has better battery life!

SE3 has a 7.82 Whr battery, compared to SE2 6.96 Whr. These numbers come from Apple's legal compliance documents updated on 3/10.

It'll be really interesting to see how Apple has managed to squeeze a larger batter inside the chassis. The Taptic Engine is very likely smaller (same as iPhone 13). It's also likely Apple removed some antennas as SE3 no longer supports gigabit LTE.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 10.40.02 PM (2).png

rr23

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2021
That’s a game changer when paired with a significantly more efficient A15.

Might actually get good battery life out of an iPhone SE now.

Reactions: snipr125

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I'm not familiar with battery terminology. Do any of those numbers definitively correlate with the battery's physical size? I was certain the battery would be no bigger physically, but they did mention new battery *chemistry*. Could these improved numbers mean better output from a physically same-sized battery? If this really is a physically larger battery, boy was I ever wrong!

More importantly, this is great news. The poor battery life of the 2020 model was its single worst problem. This would be reminiscent of the transition from 12 mini to 13 mini in a way, with the improved battery life eliminating one of the 12 mini's few pain points.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2021
What’s gigabit LTE? Does this mean it will have worse signal/reception on calls? I’m in the middle of nowhere and there’s no 5G here. I can’t even get 4G most of the time.

Reactions: 5105973

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
SE3 no longer supports gigabit LTE? So what does it support?
What’s gigabit LTE? Does this mean it will have worse signal/reception on calls? I’m in the middle of nowhere and there’s no 5G here. I can’t even get 4G most of the time.

Apple marketing specs say LTE Advanced. If accurate, this means it's back to iPhone X/XR speeds when on LTE. Slower LTE and less ability to transmit under marginal signal conditions.

It's difficult to say anything conclusive unless there are tests.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Apple marketing specs say LTE Advanced. If accurate, this means it's back to iPhone X/XR speeds when on LTE. Slower LTE and less ability to transmit under marginal signal conditions.

It's difficult to say anything conclusive unless there are tests.
So it won’t be as good as my 13 pro max when it comes to 4G data. ?

1647036475293.jpeg

LAKings

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Definitely interested in seeing the teardown and battery life reviews, even though I already bought. Also interesting how the phone is slightly lighter.

Reactions: sorgo †

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
SE3 no longer supports gigabit LTE? So what does it support?
LTE Advanced is still supported, along with 3G an 2G (except CDMA).
TBH, I have not really observed any advantages of gigabit LTE in real life. Interesting to see comparisons of LTE speed when the units are in people's hands.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you don't have 5G coverage, then there's really no point in getting the 2022 SE. The iPhone 11 will be the better buy imo.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm not familiar with battery terminology. Do any of those numbers definitively correlate with the battery's physical size? I was certain the battery would be no bigger physically, but they did mention new battery *chemistry*. Could these improved numbers mean better output from a physically same-sized battery? If this really is a physically larger battery, boy was I ever wrong!

More importantly, this is great news. The poor battery life of the 2020 model was its single worst problem. This would be reminiscent of the transition from 12 mini to 13 mini in a way, with the improved battery life eliminating one of the 12 mini's few pain points.
Based on Apple's rating, the 2022 SE will get the same battery as the 12 mini at best. If we think the 12 mini has poor battery life, I don't think this 2022 SE will be any better. In fact it will probably be worse.

Let's face it, despite the increase, 2000mAh battery is still small.

rr23

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2021
Based on Apple's rating, the 2022 SE will get the same battery as the 12 mini at best. If we think the 12 mini has poor battery life, I don't think this 2022 SE will be any better. In fact it will probably be worse.

Let's face it, despite the increase, 2000mAh battery is still small.

But you’re forgetting the fact that A15 in the SE3 is more efficient than the A14 in the 12 Mini. The SE3 also has a smaller screen.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Really curious to see the real-world implications of this, I hope the battery life is noticeably better from day-to-day. Definitely feels like a positive development, but after the previous SE's trainwreck of a battery I'm only cautiously optimistic.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
But you’re forgetting the fact that A15 in the SE3 is more efficient than the A14 in the 12 Mini. The SE3 also has a smaller screen.
If Apple's own spec rated the 2022 SE to have the same battery life as the 12 mini, you shouldn't be expecting more. Come on, let's be honest, how far do you think a 2000mAh battery can go on a smartphone, no matter how efficient the chip.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Really curious to see the real-world implications of this, I hope the battery life is noticeably better from day-to-day. Definitely feels like a positive development, but after the previous SE's trainwreck of a battery I'm only cautiously optimistic.
Imo best expectation would be that it is as good as the 12 mini or as bad as the 2020 SE. Probably in between. Thing is, many people here bashed the 12 mini on its poor battery life, yet I don't understand why people are expecting good battery life from this SE, when Apple themselves indicated that at best, it matches the 12 mini battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.