Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The big problem here is that these devices are all based on Seagate drives, which have failed me far more often than any other brand, consistently and throughout the years.

And you give that type of anecdotal data any value? Do you consider the sample size of the number of your HDDs that have failed statistically meaningful? It is one thing to act irrationally, we all do. It is another thing to present it in a form that can be considered advice.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
"Cloud" must be the most over used term if 2014/2015

How can a single local backup drive be a 'cloud'

Well it can in the realm of a pipe dream only where they have made a real cloud in a brain storming session if you know what I mean…;)

Though any tech company uses words to mean things far other than what they should mean and think they are on to something :rolleyes: Consumers though it is 2015 won't even think twice because they are in truth blindly dumb…

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
The big problem here is that these devices are all based on Seagate drives, which have failed me far more often than any other brand, consistently and throughout the years.

For every comment like this you'll find other people who've never had an issue. Hard drives are cheap, I don't get why people care so much. If you don't have your data backed to that's your own damn fault.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
The original HD in my iMac was Hitachi. Failed after 2 1/2 years.

Every manufacturer may have a failing line of product

my 6 year old Samsung laptop has a Hitachi hdd built in. And a lite-on bluray drive, all of which is ironic because Samsung makes grade A optical and hard drives.

I still use this laptop daily and the hard drive never was an issue.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I agree - the last hotel I stayed in was in a semi-rural location and I could not get 4G on my iPhone. Even so, the pitifully slow 3G I was getting was still around five times faster than the hotel’s wifi - even though their router was located just outside the door to my room. The figures I got from speedtest.net were simply laughable. In the end I just switched wifi off as it kept trying to take priority over cellular. As I have a 'wifi only' iPad, that just stayed in my bag.

Wifi iPads work great when fed from a personal hotspot.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
There is home sharing which officially only works on the local network but there are ways to enable that over the internet (tried that out already ten years ago with a PC, could be more difficult on iOS). One reason it's enabled by Apple only for the local network has always been the 'fear' of (music) pirating (originally it allowed ten guests but this was later reduced, for the same reasons, to five if I remember it correctly). Then there is iTunes Match, ideally that would be extended to videos. Its advantage is that it is streaming from Apple servers not from your home computer which might have a slow upload speed or be switched off. But matching ripped movies is likely more tricky than doing it for music as the movie coverage of the iTunes store is much more patchy than the music coverage (which in itself is because of legal reasons, which only would get more complicated when Apple tried to match ripped movies).

And also for general file access, a server has speed and availability advantages over access to a home computer (the former of which online backup services like Backblaze offer). Then there are things like accessing images from within a Lightroom catalogue. You'd either do that via screen sharing (which with a touch screen is not the greatest experience) or create a LR companion app for iOS (much better).

If you have a TC, it presumably is hooked up to some internet access. Isn't backing up to iCloud thus a good enough solution? The TC, as it is, is way too simplistic a device (CPU and 'OS') to back up iOS devices. It is not as if an iOS device can back itself up just to any storage connected to it (eg, on a Mac it needs iTunes to do it).

As, I just said, the hardware is not in place if you think of the TC. The AppleTV might be able to do it as it runs a version of iOS but its hardware is pretty old (A5 processor, current iPhones have an A8 processor) in comparison.

I don't think I agree with your answers. If I had more time I'd refute them. But thanks for your reply anyway as it seems to reinforce my original opinion.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Imagine that your hotel room comes with free WiFi... welcome to 2015.

Not all countries outside the us have free wifi in hotels.....welcome to the 90's.

----------

well I have 26 years of experience of seagate drives failing.

I have never had a seagate go bad, just maxtor (I know bought by seagate) and western digital. My first computer was a dos box in the 80's then my desktops were all my builds after that.

I'm not saying seagates don't fail, just that experiences differ. I'm wondering if it wasn't maxtor that caused a lot of their problems after they bought them.

I almost forgot the 2 IBM deathstar's I bought at the same time and had go out at almost the same time.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Imagine that your hotel room comes with free WiFi... welcome to 2015.

Imagining that THIS poster doesn't travel much. While free WiFi is seemingly advertised everywhere, getting reliable free WiFi, at acceptable speeds, continues to be a major problem BOTH in North America and in Europe.

You're going to have to get out more INSTEAD of just spit-balling answers.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I like the ideas of these products but spinning drives are not something I want to buy anymore.

RicAlonso

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Personal clouds aren't so great

I'm always astounded about the various companies that have a personal cloud product. They all make it seem that it's the best type of cloud you could have for your data. Total BS.

1) When you're not home you'll be accessing your data at your home's upload speed, not your current download speed. Most home ISPs offer very slow upload speeds.

2) No data protection. Your data will be lost if there's a fire, flood or roof leak over your equipment.

There is no benefit to a home based personal cloud other than saving a few bucks a month.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Most still don't. I've been at $600 a night hotels that made you pay for in room wifi.

And even if it is free, it's not always fast. Often one network covers a whole floor if not the whole hotel. So if you are trying to watch a movie, having the option to have it on a drive might be appealing to some. If it isn't appealing to you, don't buy the drive. You don't have to after all

Here in mexico I have been to hotel's with free wifi where web pages will not even load. A couple megabits for a hotel full of guests.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That hard drive is sleek! :eek:

Still, I've never been disappointed with Western Digital, so until they fail me I'll stick with them.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Depends on your situation. For example our internet is not dependable and it's painfully slow. In situations like this it's not a bad idea for home use, forget on the road as that usually doesn't happen anyway.

Not everyone lives in the same situation. There's no benefit to you, but there's a whole world out there and not everyone is the same.

I'm always astounded about the various companies that have a personal cloud product. They all make it seem that it's the best type of cloud you could have for your data. Total BS.

1) When you're not home you'll be accessing your data at your home's upload speed, not your current download speed. Most home ISPs offer very slow upload speeds.

2) No data protection. Your data will be lost if there's a fire, flood or roof leak over your equipment.

There is no benefit to a home based personal cloud other than saving a few bucks a month.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
will someone please come up with a portable hard disk with wifi and an iTunes Server. I hate having to hook up my mbp every time i want to watch or hear something of my apple tv.

get a drobo with plex

----------

over priced storage nothing grand here.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Imagine you're in a hotel room in a foreign country.

The first five minutes of the video that you watch through iCloud costs more in phone bills than this device does.

It's not worth fighting with the trolls. One thing I have learned over the years is that, even more than CPUs, there is something about storage that brings out some sort of insane tribal instinct in humans: "you MUST bow down to the one true way of accessing your files; anything else is apostasy that deserves DEATH".

Would I buy any of these products? No.
But I know plenty of people for whom they make sense.
Very few people are capable of setting up the kind of home storage system I have cobbled together using old macs and command line tools. For them, a "cloud" storage system which is basically an easy-to-setup RAID, easily accessible from outside the house, is valuable.

Likewise, if you WANT some extra storage, especially something that can be plugged into multiple computers, a very small hard drive is actually nice. And let's not pretend a flash drive is comparable. Flash drives are dirt slow for writing And until the whole flash drive industry gets their act together and provides some sort of useful on-the-box guarantees about write performance (something I don't expect to happen EVER given how this has played out with SD cards) I'm not willing to take a gamble on what "super-duper-ultra-high speed 10,000x performance!!!" means for a "USB-3" flash drive, and I'm certainly not going to advise my friends to buy one, not unless they want to spend literally hours copying to the drive.

Even the iOS drive makes sense for some use cases (like traveling away from home for some time, without a laptop, and want to take a lot of movies with you).

The fact that I (or YOU) don't want these products doesn't mean no-one wants them, just like I don't plan to buy soon a Backblaze storage pod, or an EMC SAN, or a 4TB SSD. Meanwhile I probably WILL buy an 8TB shingled drive as soon as they are available --- and that's a pretty specialized storage device that probably does not make sense for the vast majority of users...

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Accessing cellular internet is an issue

Major problem with these devices are that one needs to connect to the hard drive's wifi hotspot to access/stream data. Which means that while you are using the hard drive you cannot use your cellular internet. So, while on the go, if you are accessing and or forget to switch off/disconnect from the hard drive's wifi, your phone will be out of internet for that long. It's solves one problem and creates another one.
If this issue is addressed even i'll purchase it right away, as i have iPhone/ iPad and iMac and keeping media synced/desyned across all is a hassle.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Here in mexico I have been to hotel's with free wifi where web pages will not even load. A couple megabits for a hotel full of guests.

For Mexico that is probably pretty shameful (but I don't know the details). But it's not always the hotel's fault.

I helped set up the IT system for a new hotel in a developing country last year. The hotel wanted to do everything right, and they did as far as they could. We used top of the line base stations, each one covering only about 6 rooms (basically we tested that there was a good signal to every corner of every room). And the hotel's policy was that charging for WiFi was idiotic --- you might as well charge for electricity and hot water.

BUT there are two things they cannot control:
- the first is bandwidth into the hotel. The particular country (like many) has limited bandwidth into the nation, then limited bandwidth to the capital city, then limited bandwidth inside the city. We did the best we could (which involved paying for the laying if a few km of dedicated optical lines from the nearest ISP station into the hotel) but at the end of the day the best we could arrange was 7 lines, each of 2Mb/s.
This may sound crazy --- running optical lines at 2Mb/s --- but there is a dedicated balancing act going on across ALL the city users who all want bandwidth, and at least the lines are laid. We now hope basically to be able to double the bandwidth on those lines every year for the indefinite future.

- the second is that for MOST purposes (basically everything except streaming and large file downloads) your internet experience is dominated by latency, not bandwidth. In the US this is not usually not THAT obvious because most sites are using high quality CDNs (precisely to deal with latency by moving data close to the major population sites). But when you're in a country basically half way round the world from the US, that speed-of-light latency really adds up (not to mention that the local national network, while the engineers involved are honestly doing their best) is struggling with hand-me-down equipment that's five or ten years old and so with substantially higher internal latencies than US state-of-the-art equipment.
This is also worse because, in the past, national ISPs could do a lot of local caching. But more and more pages these days are constructed on a "personal" basis, and more and more content is sent by HTTPS, both of which prevent caching.

So, yeah, your hotel may be incompetent or just unwilling to spend the money. (In Mexico I would guess that is the case.) But if your hotel is in much of Asia, or Africa, or South America, they may (just like their city ISP and national ISP) be struggling to keep things going in the face of the same sort of doubling of demand every six months that the US saw during the late 90s, but with far less money available than the US had. (On the other hand, the tech is much better than back then, so they can, *just*, keep their heads above water.) In five or ten years, things should be much better, but until then, we all just have to be patient.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
And a connection speed of only 1-3mbps (very realistic in many hotels across the western and eastern world, from someone [me] who spends 4/7 nights a week in hotels for work), where streaming reliably isn't possible or the iPad caches are too insignificant to maintain the stream well enough

1-3mbps is plenty for streaming, even with HD Amazon Video.

----------

well I have 26 years of experience of seagate drives failing.

Glad someone brought this up. It's amazing that a hard drive company can have such a bad reputation, and every Seagate drive my friends or I have used has died within around a year.

Last edited:

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
How much do you want to bet that Apple will disable/block the Seagate Media app from being used

Oh don't be stupid. These types of devices have been around for over a year, and the Seagate Media app is no different, conceptually, from the DropBox app, or the Overdrive app, or the Hoopla app.

I know that in some insane fantasy world, Apple supposedly dreams of the day they can force you to only access content from the iTunes store and no-where else; but in the real world Apple competes on the basis that the iTunes store is the most CONVENIENT solution, not on the basis that it is the ONLY solution. Apple has never erected moats of the sort you seem to imagine --- they didn't with Mac, they didn't with iPod, they didn't with iOS.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Seagate/WD, no thank you, HGST drives are so much better.
Sadly there are not many reliable drive manufacturers left, the former brands bought almost everyone out.
Yes, I am aware that HGST is part of them now as well, at least AFAIK.

WD bought 'em out. The six HGST 1TB hard drives we have are always reliable. I hope WD didn't mess with them. I've never seen a WD external hard drive fail, but my '06 iMac's WD drive failed, and my mom's '11 iMac's WD drive failed then failed again after replacement and now seems to be failing again after the second replacement, this time out of warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.