Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yah either way apple is copying -

Where are all the Samsung Microsoft haters now?!

Reveal yourself NOW!!! I COMMAND THEE!

That's not going to work, they're just going to say one of two things:

A) This isn't real, no multitasking

or, if it happens

B) Yeah, well it'll work better on iOS (regardless of whether or not it does)

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I don't care if it has 1 or 1.46 GB of ram, as long as it performs without compromise. That is how Apple tries to make things work. Maybe 2GB is the right number, but maybe not?

Touch ID is the only thing that will make me want a new Air and even then, it's not like I'm not still digging the Air. It is hard to go back to the iPad 4, because it's just so heavy compared to the Air and battery life is significantly less too.

jpep

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
more memory intensive,,, good luck with that!
Browsers will still quit.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Glad to hear it. I really think it's needed. I can't tell you how many times I left a game to send a Skype message and had the game restart or left Safari for another app and had to reload my tabs.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Split screen multitasking and 4:3 are probably one of the largest challenges.

On our home computers, I'm sure we all can understand how two windows/programs/apps side by side benefit from the width of your typical screen.

A 4:3 aspect ratio does limit what you can do/see to a large degree.

Not saying you can't do it, just that wider is better for 2 things on screen at once.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
It's 2014. Give us more RAM and better multi-tasking feature, at least on iPad where multi-tasking can be useful.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
It definitely needs it. I had so many crashes on the iPad Airs I attempted to purchase, it would be real nice if Apple continues to offer more ram for the same price in other products beyond the rMBP.

Carlosgomes

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Revolutionary!

Who said apple can't innovate?!

I'm betting on a touch sensor too.

Let me check in with the analysists 1st! :apple:

I find it hilarious that most times the ones using the "revolutionary" term are the naysayers trolls.
Eh.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Honestly, it makes sense. I have no safari tab reloading issues on my iPhone 5S or iPad mini but it does happen on the Air. I've been told by other posters it has to do with the display size and resolution.

While I still think we'll see 2GB of RAM across all new devices (it follows with a pretty consistent pattern), I don't really have any reason to believe 2GB is NECESSARY in any device other than the iPad Air.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Lol split screen multitasking?!

What is apple trying to be like Samsung?

Can't innovate

Not sure if you're joking, but I've never understood this response from people. Why wouldn't a company use the ideas that worked for competitors, in any industry? It's called not reinventing the wheel, and it's what drives improvement.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Not sure if you're joking, but I've never understood this response from people. Why wouldn't a company use the ideas that worked for competitors, in any industry? It's called not reinventing the wheel, and it's what drives improvement.

And yet when Samsung does anything remotely close to something Apple does, people are calling for the company to get burnt to the ground.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
I would like 2GB in the mini.

0% chance they upgrade the Air and not the Mini.

The whole point of the last refresh was to make the Air and Mini identical except for screen size. No way they backtrack on that now. Sadly, it makes me doubt the validity of this rumor altogether.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
It HAS to go to 2 GB...being unable to switch between multiple apps (especially anything in iWork) rapidly, or having Messages freeze up while it repopulates the message list drives me nuts. 1GB on my current Air is biggest complaint of any Apple product I've ever owned.

There must be hundreds of bugs and glitches causes by the lack of memory on Apple devices. They should have done that last year.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
HOOOOOLLYYYYY JEEEEZUS, TWO GIGABYTES OF RAM, OHMAHGODDDDDD THIS IS AMAZINGGGGG

>_>

Yeah anyway, probably good news.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Honestly if they boost the sram to 2gb, it will just prove that the original Air was just a crippled device that could never be fixed with any amount of software optimization. Pathetic and annoying as I'm going to have to sell my Air to replace it with what it should have been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.