Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Source and quote, please.

I've just read the Forbes article twice and I can't find any mention of this.

Perhaps you could quote where this is stated, because I can't find it.

All I can find is that the author of the article, Andy Greenberg, has "reached out to Apple for comment but haven’t yet heard from the company."

*edit* OK, I've found it. There are 2 source articles linked in the original post. Perhaps a mod could make that a bit clearer?

You don't expect macrumors to report that part of the story do you? It's less sensational. :rolleyes:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Miller has found and reported dozens of bugs to Apple in the last few years, and had alerted Apple to this latest flaw on October 14th.

OK, but how long had Miller known about this bug? When did his app go live on the store? How long did it take for him to build his app and for it to progress through Apple's convoluted verification progress?

It's almost a certainty that he knew about the bug long ago, while iOS5 was still in beta, and yet he waited until 2 days after iOS5 had been released to the public before he informed Apple.

The man is, and always has been, a self-publicising arse. He has a track record of presenting his vulnerabilities such that Apple looks as bad as possible. However, this effort, deliberately placing malware on the app store and timing his report to Apple so that it was far too late for them to address his concerns, is low even by his standards.

Miller chalks up the difference to Apple’s new management. “I miss Steve Jobs,” he says. “He never kicked me out of anything.”

If Miller had pulled a stunt like this on Steve's watch, does anyone really believe the outcome would have been any different?

Last edited:

rich2000

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
I don't understand why he or anyone else is suprised by this.

Any developer who has ever submitted bugs to Apple will know they don't reply until they have something to reply about. They don't waste time with a pointless thank you response. They'll reply if they need more information, if they've fixed it or if it's erroneous.

I've submitted at least half a dozen bugs, some pretty serious, not security but certainly massive fails but I've never felt the need to shout about them from the roof tops. I was just happy that they fixed them! However they have replied to me every single time.

So the fact that he only submitted the bug report less than a month ago isn't very surpising he hadn't heard back from them yet. Some things take a while to test!

However when he submitted an app which broke the iOS contract he signed, that being loading code, what the heck did he think was going to happen. He broke his legal contract, of course he was going to get kicked out of the program!

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Lets get this straight, Charlie put that video up on YouTube almost a whole month before submitting the bug to Apple. Which means he had already created and submitted the app to Apple and got it up on the AppStore by September 23rd. He had no intention of reporting this to Apple straight away. He made the video first, he wanted the fame, he got kicked out for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTtuwQYNmk&feature=player_embedded

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Lets get this straight, Charlie put that video up on YouTube almost a whole month before submitting the bug to Apple. Which means he had already created and submitted the app to Apple and got it up on the AppStore by September 23rd. He had no intention of reporting this to Apple straight away. He made the video first, he wanted the fame, he got kicked out for it.

I don't understand why some security researches are so eager to be jerks.

"Waiting... Waiting... Wa--... No, I can't take this anymore! I must be a jerk now! YouTube it is!"

A month is barely enough for Apple to build, test and release a new patch. It's quite an ordeal to release software on this scale. He should just contact product-security@apple.com and move on. Apple is definitely listening quite well to serious, technical, and detailed reports coming in on that e-mail, and rolling fixes into future patches. There's absolutely no logical reason for Apple to ignore serious security problems (it hurts them and it hurts us), and guys like this one should work from that assumption.

jpthebean

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Anyone purporting this guy to be some sort of hero or "good guy" in any way shape or form must be completely ignorant or egregiously stupid. He is a white hat hacker of the worst kind. Rather than doing his meaningless day job of consulting work he trolls commercial platforms looking for bugs that he can capitalize on at hacking convention. Just like all white hats he gets shown up by the black hats at every single turn so he needs to constantly be on the look out for anything that could make him look like a big shot.

For some reason, the population at large cannot wrap their heads around the fact that while many black hats are up to no good it's the white hats that all have truly evil intentions.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
he apparently did inform apple and they did not give him the response and attention he wanted.

Fixed.

It's Apple. They have a long-standing policy of not talking about security flaws until they're fixed. So just because he didn't have someone calling him up or personally dropping around to his place to throw some streamers in the air doesn't mean they were ignoring him. This should also not be news to anyone who has had any involvement with the security of Apple products (or for that matter, any random person on the net who subscribes to Apple's security announcements email).

This makes Apple look pretty bad.

No it doesn't. It makes him look like a smart-ass douche.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I don't understand why he or anyone else is suprised by this.

Any developer who has ever submitted bugs to Apple will know they don't reply until they have something to reply about. They don't waste time with a pointless thank you response. They'll reply if they need more information, if they've fixed it or if it's erroneous.

I've submitted at least half a dozen bugs, some pretty serious, not security but certainly massive fails but I've never felt the need to shout about them from the roof tops. I was just happy that they fixed them! However they have replied to me every single time.

So the fact that he only submitted the bug report less than a month ago isn't very surpising he hadn't heard back from them yet. Some things take a while to test!

However when he submitted an app which broke the iOS contract he signed, that being loading code, what the heck did he think was going to happen. He broke his legal contract, of course he was going to get kicked out of the program!

Indeed, some people here seem to think that patching a system security hole just happens with a snap of fingers. Apple, contrarily to others we shall not name, release security updates only when they're entirely sure the patch fixes the issue.
It has been witnessed that other prominent software companies had to release patches of patches repeatedly to fix some security problems.
I'm no expert but the way things are described also suggest there's a possibility that the fix needs to encompass both iOS itself and its SDK.

Charlie Miller is such a d*ck...

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
Shoot the messenger, for he is bringing ill news.
Can't wait for the cheers in here when an untethered jailbreak is being released, using an undiscovered and unreported exploit. Those will be the heroes of MR, amirite? :D:apple:

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
apple should have its butt kicked

and certainly not the other way around.

so many apple employees defending apple's stance on macrumors... it's just not funny anymore

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Gaah, why can't these hackers just keep quite about these things so that Apple can continue marketing iOS and OS X as completely without security issues...

Is this sarcasm, or are you seriously that ****ing stupid?

----------

OK, but how long had Miller known about this bug? When did his app go live on the store? How long did it take for him to build his app and for it to progress through Apple's convoluted verification progress?

It's almost a certainty that he knew about the bug long ago, while iOS5 was still in beta, and yet he waited until 2 days after iOS5 had been released to the public before he informed Apple.

The man is, and always has been, a self-publicising arse. He has a track record of presenting his vulnerabilities such that Apple looks as bad as possible. However, this effort, deliberately placing malware on the app store and timing his report to Apple so that it was far too late for them to address his concerns, is low even by his standards.

If Miller had pulled a stunt like this on Steve's watch, does anyone really believe the outcome would have been any different?

............ He didn't tell Apple until iOS 5 was finalized... because it was unfinalized, and there was a chance they were working on it...

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
<snip>

............ He didn't tell Apple until iOS 5 was finalized... because it was unfinalized, and there was a chance they were working on it...

He didn't tell Apple until iOS 5 was finalized... because then he'd lose his opportunity to grandstand.

There. Fixed that for you.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
This sort of thing happened to me once. Forget about iOS. When I just bought my very first iMac G5, yes, the non-Intel one, some dude from Malaysia could switch on my iMac remotely using his smartphone. He never told me how but I would never let that the son-of-a-bitch into my house again. Anybody knows how you could prevent tho from happening? There is a way to remotely cold boot your iMac, as I read it somewhere in the net. If you live in a dense apartment block, somebody, your neighbor can hack into your wifi into your system and see what are in your folders. This is scary.

----------

I hate hackers. But they are impossible to track & eradicate. Apple should go the other way: employ him, rather him going rogue and develop somekind of underground martyr street cred.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Charlie did the right thing. Exposing, publicizing and offering proof of concept means Apple must now be on the ball and fix this thing. People here laugh at Android's Market for applications that can mine data, and when a bug shows up in iOS that allows it, they lambast the guy who proved it can be done, it can be put up on the App Store and it's not just some "proof-of-concept" or theoretical exploit.

If he had not submitted the app to Apple and put it up, people that are presently saying all he wants is fame (why would he require this ? He's already famous in this circle. He's found tons of OS X bugs in the past, participated in tons of conferences) would be saying "Apple would never approve such an app into the App Store anyway".

It's a lose/lose for Charlie. I applaud his effort and Apple should have had more class. Now they need to get on the ball and actually fix this before some malicious hackers get on it. Apple is a big corporation. Open source projects that have serious security flaws can usually get a fix out within a day or 2, there's no reason Apple can't do it. Much less in a few weeks.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
This makes Apple look pretty bad. And if he had submitted the bug what are the chances Apple would have responded in a timely manner if at all?

If you lived next door to me, and I noticed you left your door open, would you want me to let you know or go camp out in your living room without asking? Why go through all the trouble of making a scene about it with an app and whining to Twitter. Next he'll be crying next to Gloria Allred about it. :rolleyes:

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
If he had not submitted the app to Apple and put it up, people that are presently saying all he wants is fame (why would he require this ? He's already famous in this circle. He's found tons of OS X bugs in the past, participated in tons of conferences) would be saying "Apple would never approve such an app into the App Store anyway".

Absolutely. He's the guy blazin through Apple's security-protections at Pwn2Own on an annual basis.
I'm sure someone is typing up some "fandroids hatin'"-reply already (I got none, tough luck), bring it on. :D:apple:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
and certainly not the other way around.

so many apple employees defending apple's stance on macrumors... it's just not funny anymore

Oh god, yet MORE tripe about how anyone supports Apple must be an employee. Just like the people who say that anyone who ever writes a favorable review must be bribed. How about this? Try not insulting everyone else's integrity, and get a life while you're at it.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
People really don't read any comments in here and just go straight to "Post reply" to spew off some venom, aren't they? :D:apple:

You must be new on the internet. Nobody here reads the articles they are commenting on let alone already posted comments. Read the title and off you go.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
The number of people claiming to have read the article and claiming that there is not date of submission to Apple don't add up.

Which means one of two things, most people on this site cannot actually read, or they are just lazy and liars.

I found the date within 3 seconds of opening the link to the Forbes page.

As he submitted the find to Apple, and they just did what they usually do - ignore people - then he was perfectly entitled to make it public knowledge. If this is what it takes for Apple to address a problem it is not this guys fault, it is Apple who are to blame.

rich2000

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
The number of people claiming to have read the article and claiming that there is not date of submission to Apple don't add up.

Which means one of two things, most people on this site cannot actually read, or they are just lazy and liars.

I found the date within 3 seconds of opening the link to the Forbes page.

As he submitted the find to Apple, and they just did what they usually do - ignore people - then he was perfectly entitled to make it public knowledge. If this is what it takes for Apple to address a problem it is not this guys fault, it is Apple who are to blame.

You are making an assumption they ignored him... what did he want to happen Tim Cook to turn up at his front door with a cake and a bottle of champagne and a years subscription to Playboy?

No more likely they were investigating, fixing and testing, all of which would in all likely hood take longer than the time since he submitted a bug. As someone who apparently submitted dozens of bugs before he would already have known that he wouldn't get a response until it had either been fixed or they needed more information.

As for the comment above about him not submitting it until after iOS5 was released because they might have believed they were fixing it... it is entirely the point of the betas to submit bug reports and not wait until after it's released.

Also releasing a proof of concept on a blog or security research site is a differnet thing, no he had to release it in a downloadable app for people to use. He broke a legal contract that he signed, Apple terminated the contract because of that, end of story.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Charlie is and always has been a douche-bag. He proved it yet again. No story. Move along.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009

That is sort of a hen egg situation though. He is famous exactly because he pulls stunts like this one.

Lets be honest here. He found a huge bug. He exploited it for his personal benefits and he did not report it to Apple right away, but waited a while (coincidentally shortly after the major release of iOS). He gets nice publicity and a great talk out of it.
That said. He found a huge bug. He reported it to Apple and waited for a good amount of time before going public with it. Apple had a chance to get in contact with him or actually push out a fix or even pay him to shut up for a little while longer. Just because "Apple has a history to not talk about security risks until they are fixed" doesn't mean it is the right thing to do, nor does it mean that a person making a living of discovering security holes, has to wait forever to go public with his findings.

And just to finalize these thoughts. I'd much rather have a spotlight-seeking analyst find these holes then a Russian (no offense to Russians :) hacker trying to actually utilize this.

T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.