Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackmack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I have alot of sensative stuff on my laptop that I wouldn't want people to see if it gets stolen or something...

Is there any software that will ask for a password on boot-up that is like... unhackable encryption? Maybe even have a feature that if the wrong password is entered too many times, it wipes the hard drive?

Any ideas would be great. thanks.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
System Preferences>System Accounts>Login Options>Display Login Window as: (check) "name and password", (uncheck) "automatic" Login.

Hackable and tedious, but it's a start.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Or you could turn on the file vault. It encrypts the contents of your home folder. You can find it in the System Preferences. Oh and there is no such thing as "un-hackable". If people want the information it'll just be a matter of time.

jackmack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
darkcurse said:
Or you could turn on the file vault. It encrypts the contents of your home folder. You can find it in the System Preferences. Oh and there is no such thing as "un-hackable". If people want the information it'll just be a matter of time.

There may not be "unhackable" but there is 99.999999999%

Like Wolf, for example, was an operating system that used encryption so hardcore that it was illegal to use it in the United States because it broke federal encryption laws.

Same as like DoD encryption and what not.

Nothing is 100%, but some stuff is damn close.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've heard a lot of people complain about FileVault. I don't think it's quite ready for public use because there are quite a few stories of severe data loss.

Unfortunately, the login password is ridiculously easy to bypass if anyone has an OSX disc. In other words, if you see some guy running off with your laptop in one hand and a copy of Tiger in the other, run after him and kick him in the nuts because otherwise he might get your data. Make it a good kick. Nevertheless, the login password method is a good start. :)

jackmack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
what issues happen with filevault?

I wish I could find software outside mac beta =(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mad jew said:
Unfortunately, the login password is ridiculously easy to bypass if anyone has an OSX disc.

Which is why you also disable DVD boot via an Open Firmware password :) (is there an Intel equivalent to that?)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
jackmack said:
what issues happen with filevault?

Its biggest problem is probably data loss but data corruption can occur too.

Nermal said:
Which is why you also disable DVD boot via an Open Firmware password :)

Yeah, that's probably a pretty good idea for most users but once again it can cause problems for basic users when they genuinely forget their passwords. It's also a pain in the neck if you want to do hardware tests or run Disk Utility from the OSX discs. :eek:

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
You could put all your sensitive data in a password protected Disk Image. It uses AES-128bit encryption which is better than nothing and it's not as dodgy as using File Vault, since it only encrypts what you have inside the image, not they whole fecking home folder. :rolleyes:

Have a look at about encrypted disk images also.

"The encryption used is 128-bit, equivalent to that used in the banking industry. If you forget the password to your encrypted disk image, your data will be irretrievably lost. By default, the password is stored in your login keychain when you create an encrypted disk image."

It's probably a good idea not to click "Remember Password (add to Keychain)" on the Authenticate window when you're opening the disk image. I think that lets the disk image open automatically, which defeats the purpose of a password protected image.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
god bless mac... thinks of it all...

how secure is this?

It provides absolutely zero security. They can start your compute rin single user mode and see all your files, or take out your ahrd drive and view all your views. They can start your computer from a linux cd, and access everything.

It's only fairly secure if you activate Filevault.

Full disk encryption is even better (PGP Whole Disk is the best at the moment.)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
what way is pgp better than filevault?

If you read the documentation it will tell you. Simply put, FileVault only encrypts your home directory, while PGP is capable of encrypting the entire HD. You going to reawaken every security thread here? There's plenty of answers already out there if you just search for them.

applesuper

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
If you read the documentation it will tell you. Simply put, FileVault only encrypts your home directory, while PGP is capable of encrypting the entire HD. You going to reawaken every security thread here? There's plenty of answers already out there if you just search for them.

Well is there anything wrong in re-awakening the threads, if it is, I wont do so. Searching is exactly what I am doing and I have gone through 200+ of encryption related posts and most are half decent, but not very complete or sufficient hence my re-awakening them.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Well is there anything wrong in re-awakening the threads, if it is, I wont do so. Searching is exactly what I am doing and I have gone through 200+ of encryption related posts and most are half decent, but not very complete or sufficient hence my re-awakening them.

Well, your question was actually already answered in this thread in previous posts if you read them more closely. Hence, if you slow down and make sure you read things fully, you'll find them more complete.

applesuper

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Well, your question was actually already answered in this thread in previous posts if you read them more closely. Hence, if you slow down and make sure you read things fully, you'll find them more complete.

I am reading them closely, after all we are talking about security!! and I did read the difference between pgp and filevault, I just wanted to know in what way is encrypting your whole disk not just your home folder better as the apps do not include most of the time any revealing info and prima vista it the added complexity of pgp doesn't seem that much of an added benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.