Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigiHal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
Ft. Lauderdale
hi all,

I had a ? for you that someone may be able to answer for me.

Back in the day, before I owned a mac, a friend of mine showed me, on his ibook, that he was able to check out his PC through his mac.

He was a developer, so he had both.

But what he had was an ibook to peer into his PC box.

This wasn't virtual PC. This was the real deal.

I was wondering if any of you know how to do this. Since I got my powerbook, I cannot dump my PC because of testing purposes.

Anyone?

Thanks.

DH!

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Use it dayly, to connect my PB to a win2000 server (with terminal services installed)

Works like a charme. Although it won't connect to a computername, but only to an I.P. address, but that's no biggy.

Cuckoo

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Mind you, the Wintel system has to support Terminal Services, i know Windows 2000 (advanced) server does this. Windows 2003 server does this, maybe XP pro but im not sure, but look into this. You can 'just' connect to any system (win9x or 2000 workstation don't work, as far as i know)

Cuckoo

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
what you have to do is make sure the account(s) you want to access are part of the remote desktop user group or art of a group that have permission to login remotely.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Originally posted by Cuckoo
Works like a charme. Although it won't connect to a computername, but only to an I.P. address, but that's no biggy.

It does if you have DNS installed on yor network. My servers all do, so its no biggie.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by rhpenguin
It does if you have DNS installed on yor network. My servers all do, so its no biggie.

Indeed it does. What i ment to say, maybe not so elequently, was that i didn't really mind. Installing a DNS would hit the spot. Editing the local hosts file is easyer.

Many options, indeed....

Cuckoo

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Use it dayly, to connect my PB to a win2000 server (with terminal services installed)

Once Win2k server is installed with terminal services is there any other configuration needed?

I installed Win2k server w/ TS on my home PC. I want to use MS RDC to connect from my PowerBook to my PC when I'm away from home. I tried connecting using my IP, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
No worries, we'll get you threw this.

First. Try to ping the server. If this works. We have a connection.

Second. Open the computer management options in start -> programs -> administrative tools.

In computer management check the user you want to connect with. If you're trying to connect using the amdministrator, you're all set. If not, give the user enough rights. (administrator is a lot, but always enough)

If this doens't help, can you be more specific what happens, or doesn't happen. For instance, does your application start. What kind of error message do you get?

Hahahah, tons-o-questions

Cuckoo

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
thanks for the reply Cuckoo.

i think it's a network issue. i cannot ping my PC. do i have to be on the same subnet? if this is not possible, then are there any alternatives?

i have my accounts setup on the PC, so i really just need to figure out how to connect to it first. being able to connect to this PC from my PowerBook would be very helpful to me.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
As far as i know you don't have to be on the same subnet. And further more, i can't imagine that it would matter.

But if you aren't, i assume, you're on a routed network. Is your (default) gateway set to farward ICMP (ping) packets to the server?

Can you ping your gateway? Problem might be that your network doesn't allow ping.

If you can ping to an other node (workstation, server or whatever) in that other subnet (the subnet of your terminal server but you can't ping that server then there is the issue.

But if you can't ping anything in that other network, then, can you ping anything in your own network?

Lots-o-questions again, please tell me what you can and can't do....

Cuckoo

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I look at my Mac over the internet from work on a pc. I use osxvnc on my mac (acts as the server) + then a vnc client on my work machine to view my mac.

Sounds like you need something like that. Just the server on the PC.

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I look at my Mac over the internet from work on a pc. I use osxvnc on my mac (acts as the server) + then a vnc client on my work machine to view my mac.

Sounds like you need something like that. Just the server on the PC.

Falleron - No, I want to use Remote Desktop. VNC is too slow for my taste. Plus I hear you can copy and paste between RDC and your Mac.

UPDATE - I figured out how to connect. I needed to forward my port settings (specifically port 3389) from my router to my home PC. Now I can login to it wny I'm away or at work.

The problem now is that once I'm logged into my PC from my Mac I cannot click on anything . I can see the PC desktop in RDC, but cannot click or do anything. Any ideas? Is there something in terminal services that i need to enable?

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Got it working & Linksys port forwarding

Looks like it was my ZoneAlarm firewall that was the final problem. I just uninstalled it since my router has a built in firewall.

I'm now able to connect to my home PC from my 17" PB. This will be a lifesaver when I use my PB at work!

For those interested in how to do port forwarding using a Linksys router (I saw some threads out there asking how):

1. Open the router's configuration screen in your brower. The manual will tell you how. Basically type in the router's IP
2. Go to the Advanced tab at the right
3. Click the Forwarding tab
4. Enter the port range you want to forward (in my case it was 3389 - 3389).
5. Enter the IP address of the PC you want to forward these port requests to.
6. Click Apply.

To connect using RDC you must use the WAN IP of your router. To find this:

1. Be sure you're in Setup. (click the Setup tab).
2. Click the Status tab
3. Note the WAN IP Address.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
No prob,

No prob at all, only thing i miss, is that the remote session (to a windows 2000) has a max. of 256 colors. I'd whish it were better, i know MS fixed it in win2k3... but that's a bit of a resouce hog.

Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.