Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Is there any way to see what app is making my external hard drives spin up? (they are FireWire)? I am not doing anything that would make them spin up but yet they at seemingly random times.
Mac OS X Mail does this to my external drives every time I open the preferences dialog. No idea why. Several other apps I use do this - usually only when they load a directory listing.

dukeman

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
Mac OS X Mail does this to my external drives every time I open the preferences dialog. No idea why. Several other apps I use do this - usually only when they load a directory listing.

Probably caused by spotlight. Mail uses spotlight for its search function. Spotlight indexes all of your drives, (causes them to spin up). Drag the external hard drive to privacy section of the spotlight pref. Also do a Google search to turnoff indexing perm if you'd like.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state

That's because of this:
picture1oa1.jpg

It looks on your system for other apps that can be set as default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.