Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
I want to outline a bunch of bitmap shapes (I'm using layers in Photoshop 7) with a thick stroke of colors in the following way: the direction an edge is facing determines its color. Just like this:

Rainbow-Edge.jpg

All the top-facing edges are red, bottom-left are blue, etc.

I did that one using SIX(!) different Pshop 7 emboss effects to shine 6 colored lights around the shape. The result is more or less acceptable, BUT it's a real pain, with too little control--and I want to make a whole bunch of images in the same style. (All will be a single flat color in the middle just like this one. All are in bitmapped--not vector--form.)

Anyone know of a Photoshop plug-in or downloadable app that might help at all? (A radial gradient in the stroke is NOT the same thing--it doesn't follow the outline.)

I am making a Photoshop Action, which will save time but will still make an absurd number of layers, and still won't give me much control over the colors used (six embosses blending together is imprecise at best).

TIA!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
In Photoshop, maybe set up a Global Light and run the same (custom) gradient through a stroke as a layer style?

Edit: Or maybe not, as a bit of messing reveals it doesn't have exactly the same effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.