Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2006
I was thinking of selling my 2.0 GHz G5 and buying a MBP, 1.83 GHz. Do you think this is a good idea? Will the MBP be faster and stuff? I know it will be better for games. Will the MBP be a good permanent computer?

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2006
wait a little bit, ordering one is like playing russian roulette right now with all the issues they're having.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Heat issues and whine noise are the big ones. Both can be solved yourself but void your warranty. It is unknown if Apple would fix it for you because they don't seem to want to confirm this problem. Logic would suggest that Apple reads these forums and hear these complaints and will eventually address them before the next revision.

I have both those machines and if it were not for the needed disk space for digital video, I would only have the MBP even with the current problems. My G5 has 8 GBs of memory and a GeForce 6800 GT card. I feel that I have the same power in this laptop minus the memory and hard disk space.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
allexsimmons said:
probably wanted to get the best price for his QUAD. After the new intel powermacs come out the price would go down on resell.

Yeah, that and the fact that I hadn't used it for anything except playing games in a few months. I don't have any high end video projects in the pipeline until later this year and my MBP can handle all my current clients and projects beautifully. SO I got rid of the thing while I still could for a decent price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.