Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
Hi,

Not sure if this is new, I just discovered that if you change the outgoing mail server to iCloud, then save the setting, you'll be able to add send as Alias in Mail. (See the screenshots).

At least it worked with Exchange Online accounts, with Send As permission enabled.(Distribution Group, or Shared Mailbox)

After you added the alias, make sure you change the outgoing mail server back to "Exchange".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.48.15.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.48.15.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 560
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.48.51.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 11.48.51.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 457

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hi,

Not sure if this is new, I just discovered that if you change the outgoing mail server to iCloud, then save the setting, you'll be able to add send as Alias in Mail. (See the screenshots).

At least it worked with Exchange Online accounts, with Send As permission enabled.(Distribution Group, or Shared Mailbox)

After you added the alias, make sure you change the outgoing mail server back to "Exchange".
Outlook itself supports alias in the same account. So I can use multiple email address as different name of my singe account. Furthermore, I could separate them into different folder to separate multiple accounts.

It seems that icloud starts supporting alias as email address.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I've been using this for years with Apple Mail and a gmail account ;)

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Hi,

How do you bring up the windows in your screen shots? I can't find it in Preferences. And I'm having an Alias problem with Outlook myself. Instead of putting the ID of the person I'm writing to the "To" block with Outlook, I see "Holidays in the United States", making my email look like Spam.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I wish I knew about it :(

I thought that's something new to the latest OS

This is actually one of my favourite features of Mail and google smtp servers. I can aggregate all the mail from my personal and business accounts in a single gmail account and I can send mails using any of these accounts — gmail will actually use the respective smtp server. The drawback of course is that I need to leave my smtp credentials for all the mail servers with google, but I am not too concerned about that to be honest.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
I've been using this for years with Apple Mail and a gmail account ;)

How do you get Alias to show up in in a Non-iCloud account? I just restored to Yosemite, and I tried to same method above with Mail, but I couldn't get Alias to show up in my Exchange account.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
How do you get Alias to show up in in a Non-iCloud account? I just restored to Yosemite, and I tried to same method above with Mail, but I couldn't get Alias to show up in my Exchange account.

Dunno, it just shows up. However, I have last set it up under Mavericks, where Mail didn't have an Alias menu. For that, one just enters the aliases, separated by commas, in the email field.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
How do you bring up the windows in your screen shots? I can't find it in Preferences. And I'm having an Alias problem with Outlook myself. Instead of putting the ID of the person I'm writing to the "To" block with Outlook, I see "Holidays in the United States", making my email look like Spam.

Just

Hi, I know the method in that support document, but it won't work with Exchange accounts, and it's less elegant.

The benefits of my set up above is that you can send outgoing mails in different sender names, it would be very useful for Exchange distribution group, with send as permission, or Google Apps for work.

For example, an email account set up for John smith, and he has two alias, John smith and Jane smith. the outgoing email for foo@domain.uk would appear as from John Smith, foo1@domain1.uk would appear as from Jane smith.

Before you can only send foo@domain.uk or foo@domain1.uk under one same name John Smith.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Ah, ok, sorry for confusion. I am not using Exchange, just plain old gmail, so I can't comment on any of that.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
Hmm just tried this on my Yosemite machine and while I do see the email addresses as aliases, the name still shows up as my full real name, whereas in El Capitan, it uses the name I have designated for each of my alternate emails respectively.. any way to make it work like in El Capitan?

No.

I'm hoping apple would leave this "bug" in the final 10.11 release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.