Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
This is a repost because No One answered last time with a more obscure title, sorry all:

I am one of the unfortunate souls that now has white spots appearing on my 15 alPB's screen. Next week I am sending it away to apple for a replacement screen.

Here is my delema. The Apple genius at my local Apple store (where I am sending my PB to be fixed from) told me to (obviously) back up my HD and to make a new user that the book automatically boots to with Admin. Privileges so they can trouble shoot if need be.

My question is: Can I make a perfect copy of my HD with all personal settings intact and be able to retrieve it? The reason I am asking is because I would like to erase and install OSX clean so I don't have any tech guy at apple going through my personal stuff. I have a lot of things from work (at a software company) that I would rather not let just anyone peer through. I figured If I could send them a box stock PB and then somehow restore everything the way I had in before would be my ideal course of action. I have plenty of space of my firewire drive for everything on my PB.

Even if this is not a possibility I would really appreciate some input on what you think I should do. Also, If there is an easier way to keep my stuff out of sight from their prying eyes, I would be interested in hearing those comments as well.

Thank you all for the help in advance!!!

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
Counterfit said:
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a complete backup (a clone :D) of the drive. You'll be able to retrieve it later, then you can just nuke & pave the HD and send it off.
Does this just copy my home directory or what. will I have to install all of my 3rd party applications again?

Sorry I am so nieve but I never really backed my HD up and this is the perfect time to learn and start doing on a regular basis.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
Counterfit said:
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a complete backup (a clone :D) of the drive. You'll be able to retrieve it later, then you can just nuke & pave the HD and send it off.
Does this just copy my home directory or what. will I have to install all of my 3rd party applications again?

Sorry I am so nieve but I never really backed my HD up and this is the perfect time to learn and start doing on a regular basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.