Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wunderwally

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
Austria
Everything but the map. The map data doesn't get stored in health. You can use the Nike app and RunGap to export all including the map to Runkeeper.
Okay that's good enough for me until RunKeeper. As longs as the rest works properly i'll stay away from the Nike app. The hours i've wasted to get my data out of the Nike+ system (before rungap) is just not worth the hassle right now.

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I
I use Strava, and have been holding out on getting a watch. Is NRC + RunGap good enough for the time being?
I've done around 12-13 runs with NRC since it was updated on my Series 2, some watch only, some with my phone. Twice, my maps haven't updated for whatever reason. Also, occasionally the update to Run Gap would take a few hours. SOMETIMES.
For this reason, I'm still wearing my Garmin on the other arm, until the bugs are worked out.
Also, you'll get no elevation in the Nike app, but Strava will calculate it for you.

So I'd say give it a go if you're okay with those percentages.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Looks like Nike updated their app. Not sure what's fixed.
Bug fixes:
- improved run activity syncing reliability
- reduced battery consumption
- manual run entries now allow a faster min/km pace
- other bug fixes and performance improvements

dallison13

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Saw that, BUT, running with the watch yields a similar experience for me.... no Nike Fuel, no splits. Sooooo... Next update maybe....

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Looks like Nike updated their app. Not sure what's fixed.
I was really excited when I saw an update for the app, but alas it didn't really address any of my issues. I really wish there was a way I could view my average pace per lap

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
I was really excited when I saw an update for the app, but alas it didn't really address any of my issues. I really wish there was a way I could view my average pace per lap

Looks like mostly under the hood updates. Hopefully the sync is improved as stated since the original version took hours at times to completely sync.

But for the love of humanity .. please make the heart value readable. Not sure why it is relegated to a tiny font in the upper corner of the screen. It should be one of the metrics that you can scroll thru with the DG. And while your at it, why not add the current/average HR value to the voice feedback.

There are many of us that train via HR.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I use Strava, and have been holding out on getting a watch. Is NRC + RunGap good enough for the time being?
Define "good enough"...

What are you looking for out of the app?

For me for pretty casual lunchtime runs where I'm mostly just looking at HR and to track distance and load it up to Garmin Connect / Strava, the NRC app in standalone mode does fine.

If I were going to run from home to a nearby high school track to do speed workouts, it wouldn't do fine.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
Looks like mostly under the hood updates. Hopefully the sync is improved as stated since the original version took hours at times to completely sync.

But for the love of humanity .. please make the heart value readable. Not sure why it is relegated to a tiny font in the upper corner of the screen. It should be one of the metrics that you can scroll thru with the DG. And while your at it, why not add the current/average HR value to the voice feedback.

There are many of us that train via HR.

Just back from a 6-mile run with the latest version NRC app and the Series 2 .. one additional observation

https://www.strava.com/activities/777247778

It appears they fixed the Voice Feedback also .. the music now "ducks" (lower volume) when you get your Voice Feedback updates. It is now much easier to hear.

Also seemed to sync faster, so I was able to pull it into RunGap quicker, and then on to Strava.

The NRC really does work pretty well for me, now if they would just make the heart rate readable, I would be really happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dallison13

bwfc0907

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Bolton, UK
Which is the best app for seeing the GPS route?

Can you import the route from workout activity imported to the phone to any other app?

Is there any way of seeing any of the data on your iPad?

zokstar

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2016
Sydney
Does the Nike Run app (without phone) calculate elevation?

The default activity app only calculates elevation when you have phone :(

mitty

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Melbourne
Got a pop up from Rungap saying Nike+ support might finish at any time due to the unreliable nature of the way they get the data out. Very annoying. Hopefully we get another option soon. Switching back to Pear for the time being, though i might wear my Garmin as well just in case.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Looking forward to a run keeper update? Has anyone heard about an update to iSmoothRun. I must admit that I prefer their interface to both Runkeeper and Strava.
Their website just says they hope to have a update by the end of the year. I too prefer the iSmoothRun interface

sta1210

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
Corte Madera, California
With their recent update, iSmoothRun just works and the options for customization are terrific. I am looking forward to seeing how this works with Apple Watch alone. The end of the year is near...

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
With their recent update, iSmoothRun just works and the options for customization are terrific. I am looking forward to seeing how this works with Apple Watch alone. The end of the year is near...

I am a beta tester for iSmoothRun and nothing has hit TestFlight yet, so I would say that a general release isn't imminent. Hopefully we will see a beta version soon.

I am currently beta testing RunKeeper, and it works pretty well and seems pretty buttoned up in the beta version. I would expect it would be released soon.

Rebon

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Netherlands
Just got a mail from Runkeeper support that the new app with GPS support is submitted for approval to the app store. Shouldn't be long now.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
Just got a mail from Runkeeper support that the new app with GPS support is submitted for approval to the app store. Shouldn't be long now.

Good to hear. Just finished a 6-mile run with the RunKeeper beta app, and didn't have any issues. Did take a long time to sync however, but it did eventually.

I prefer the Nike Run Club app to RunKeeper mainly because the voice feedback on NRC works when running without your phone, it has auto-pause, and in general feels more integrated into the watch. RunKeeper would certainly be a competitor if they get the voice-over working on the watch and make pausing easier.

Reactions: zokstar

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I can get by without voiceover.

I'd like to see:
  • auto-pause
  • pause with a hard button
  • GPS confirmation (at least at startup)
  • %HRR

Metz77

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
What version beta are you on? The auto pause worked for me just no audio feedback

sta1210

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
Corte Madera, California
It will be great to see how Runkeeper performs. I must admit that I have been very pleased with iSmoothRun for a number of reasons. Auto pause and GPS confirmation are definitely helpful. The one feature that I have enjoyed with iSmoothRun has been the ability to maintain a disjointed exercise as one event, I run commute with a ferry ride in between, it handles this beautifully. Would be great to target those activities as commuting as you can in Strava but probably too much to ask. Glad to see there is some progress being made, if slow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.