Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
It never occurred to me, an enthusiast hoping for an even larger display, that I could ever go back down to below a 5.5" iPhone. Yet, that opinion changed when I was given the ability to test the 4.7" iPhone 6s. Put bluntly, I do not miss the larger display when I'm using the 6s. This is quite the surprise for me because whenever going from a 4" iPhone 5 to a 3.5" iPhone I deeply missed the larger display, with the same being true with the 5.5" 6 Plus whenever I used a 4" 5/5s. Nonetheless, here I am jumping down from 5.5" to 4.7" and not feeling any remorse. 4.7" may be the perfect size for one-handed use: it is much more comfortable for using one-handed, which is how I use my iPhone for a substantial amount of my overall usage. I had forgotten how comfortable life before the Plus was with one hand, as I use my thumb to efficiently write this post.

Despite being concerned that the display with its lower PPI may be inferior, I also find myself preferring the higher contrast display to the sharper Plus display. The one complaint over the Plus would have to be the noticeably shorter battery life. I'm practically going from 8-9 hours of usage to 5-6, plus I do miss OIS.

I find myself very, very surprised that I do not miss the 5.5" Plus display... Which I would've never realized without trying the 6s. I may very well end up with the Plus as it is technically considered the superior phone but for now the 4.7" iPhone feels more like going back to a phone. An iPhone 6s for going out and an iPad for home may just be the ideal setup.

Point of the thread: don't go with your gut and assume one is better than the other for your own usage. Try the phones.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
This is very good advice. I tried both and while I'm going with the plus and sending the 6s back, I always would have had the lingering question if I hadn't bought both to try them out.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
I have to use an iPad for work, but I use it for personal use too (games and media), so the iPhone 6S is better for me, but if I didn't use an iPad, I could definitely see how just using an iPhone 6S+ with its bigger screen would be the way to go. Just having one device to do everything would be great.

Reactions: heathpitts

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
It never occurred to me, an enthusiast hoping for an even larger display, that I could ever go back down to below a 5.5" iPhone. Yet, that opinion changed when I was given the ability to test the 4.7" iPhone 6s. Put bluntly, I do not miss the larger display when I'm using the 6s. This is quite the surprise for me because whenever going from a 4" iPhone 5 to a 3.5" iPhone I deeply missed the larger display, with the same being true with the 5.5" 6 Plus whenever I used a 4" 5/5s. Nonetheless, here I am jumping down from 5.5" to 4.7" and not feeling any remorse. 4.7" may be the perfect size for one-handed use: it is much more comfortable for using one-handed, which is how I use my iPhone for a substantial amount of my overall usage. I had forgotten how comfortable life before the Plus was with one hand, as I use my thumb to efficiently write this post.

Despite being concerned that the display with its lower PPI may be inferior, I also find myself preferring the higher contrast display to the sharper Plus display. The one complaint over the Plus would have to be the noticeably shorter battery life. I'm practically going from 8-9 hours of usage to 5-6, plus I do miss OIS.

I find myself very, very surprised that I do not miss the 5.5" Plus display... Which I would've never realized without trying the 6s. I may very well end up with the Plus as it is technically considered the superior phone but for now the 4.7" iPhone feels more like going back to a phone. An iPhone 6s for going out and an iPad for home may just be the ideal setup.

Point of the thread: don't go with your gut and assume one is better than the other for your own usage. Try the phones.

I migrated from the 6 plus to the plain 6S as well (started using it just today). The 6S does feel awfully small and fragile compared to the old beast plus, but honestly I don't see much difference is screen usability. Yes the big screen is gorgeous, but the pocketability (or scrub top-ability0 of the regular phone more than makes up for it...

I'm also super excited for easy one handed use again, especially w/ 3d touch.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Also moved from 6+ to 6S. While the 6+ screen is bigger, I found that many apps are actually designed for the 4.7" screen. Hence, there appeared to be a lot of empty spaces when displayed on the 5.5" screen. As a result, app layout looks better for certain apps on the 6S despite the smaller screen.

By the way, a point about brand new Li ion batteries is that the performance will improve after a few days of use.

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
I've tried using the 6 when u had the plus for s week or so and I just had to turn back to using the 6plus. Better display and battery and over all experience.
I guess everyone has a different perspective.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have used both sizes quite a bit. For me the portability wins out. I compared screens so many times and couldn't tell the difference in resolutions no matter how hard I tried. Battery life, while nice, isn't essential to me. I have chargers at my desk, vehicles, and home. I thought OIS would be the deal breaker for me but after seeing how little the difference was compared to the digital version in the 4.7", it was no longer a must have. In the end, I agree, try both out. I always have had to have the latest greatest iPhone but ever since the 6/6+, I realized what mattered most to me which was easy one handed use on a less awkward device.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
I considered both heavily, but the battery life and OIS is exactly the two major reasons I decided on the Plus.

Having kids I take a lot of photo/video and ultimately decided OIS was enough of a factor... especially in video. The battery was the other.

Reactions: MisterMillz

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Tim Cook is reading these topics and.........
giphy.gif

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I had the 6 and a 6 Plus. The 6 sat in my drawer most of last year before I finally sold it. I love the larger display, better battery life and OIS on the Plus. I don't think I could ever go back to a smaller iPhone again.

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
They also made the 6S plus heavier. I still have my 6+ and there is a clear difference, it feels very bulky all around especially with a leather apple case. I had the 6S and exchanged it for the plus thinking battery life issues and wow it feels so uncomfortable (it is beautiful though) at least for me. Well my wife still has her 6S and I did the drain it to 0% and then full charge without use and the battery life on her phone dramatically got better, still had 51% after a 10 hour day w/o any charging -- she uses the phone for phone calls, email, texts and 1-2 games (nothing intense). I'm testing hers for a few more days but looking to exchange for the 6S again, can't beat that portability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.