Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimako

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Hi everyone,
I work in a small design studio which runs on all Mac machines on a network but no server. We have one machine sitting quietly in the corner doing nothing if anything at all and I was wondering, how do I turn that into a server that everyone can access and view on their desktops?

Not sure how else to explain this, sorry if it is a bit vague.

Cheers,

J.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
You need to do a little more explaining:
What do you want your server to do? Files, or do you want it to do processing. Do you want to be able to use it as a remote machine, admin the network, or what?

jimako

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Hi - I'd basically like to be able to copy files to it and retrieve files from it across a network. Nothing more complicated than that. I'm also looking at publishing iCal on a network so people can subscribe to calendars so i think it would need webdav on it? (not sure that is exactly)..

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Not sure myself about sharing iCal calendars on a Mac (the most I know about WebDav is that my iDisk uses it) but setting up file sharing is typically dead easy. The basic drill for doing this is as follows:

1. Open the System Preferences > Sharing panel on the server and enable Personal File Sharing. The file sharing service will start up after a moment and provide instructions on how to access it.

2. Using other Macs in your office, access the server using either the Network browser in Finder or (again in Finder) open the Connect to Servers dialog under the Go menu and enter the address that was displayed when you started the Personal File Sharing network (something like afp://168.192.0.2)

That should be it. To be honest, I don't have another Mac to test this with but I do use the Windows File Sharing service a lot and the process should be much the same, only easier for Mac-only sharing. With the Windows File Sharing service, for example, you need to provide the logon details for the account on the Mac that you are connecting to but this does not seem to be necessary for Personal File Sharing.

With respect to iCal calendar sharing, try this link for details. It's not terribly simple but it can be done.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
jimako said:
Hi - I'd basically like to be able to copy files to it and retrieve files from it across a network. Nothing more complicated than that. I'm also looking at publishing iCal on a network so people can subscribe to calendars so i think it would need webdav on it? (not sure that is exactly)..
You can use WebDav in OS X via Apache's server
http://www.gregwestin.com/webdav_for_ical.php

If you're not comfy with the terminal find someone who is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.