Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnyechoes

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Slovenia
I'm so frustrated right now. Please hear me out. Is there any way to replace a single broken key and not the whole keyboard?

I accidentally spilt some water on my laptop's keyboard about 2 years ago but all the keys still worked fine until about a month ago when the down and right arrow keys started acting up. I'd have to press them at least twice to get them working but the right arrow key eventually stopped working completely. Everything else worked just fine.

I set up an appointment with an authorised service provider to clean the laptop (it is more than 5 years old after all) and maybe repair the two arrow keys (I refused the complete keyboard & battery replacement as it would cost around €500). The technician said the pad of the up arrow key was missing, so the key would be sunk in. I couldn't quite visualise what happened but I signed the paper, paid for the service and left.

A few hours later, when I could inspect my Macbook properly, I noticed that the up arrow key was in fact fully sunk in (AKA levelled with the casing) and not working at all. The down and right arrow keys – the ones that stopped working prior to the service cleaning – are working a lot better (although not at 100%) but the technicians actually messed up a key that was previously working fine.

I emailed this authorised service provider and asked what could be done about it, seeing as it was them who messed up the up arrow key. They said nothing could be done other than the full keyboard replacement.

This post is getting wordy, I know, but I'm honestly speechless and shocked about this behaviour and their refusal to admit their fault. I'd expect them to at least cover a fraction of the service cost. No dice. So now I'm left with the laptop in a worse state than it was just a few days ago, with practically no resell value should I ever want to sell it.

So, what should I do?

bunnyechoes

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Slovenia
Unfortunately your mistake was signing out the MacBook before inspecting it, relieving them of liability. You can check eBay for the membranes or just use an external keyboard.
I figured that'd be the case... I should've inspected the laptop beforehand but I kinda wanted to leave the place ASAP due to the covid protocol.

It sure helps when you tell us WHAT YEAR the MacBook Pro is...?
Of course!! I've rewritten the title so often that that vital information ended up being left out. It's Early 2015 (as mentioned in my first post, the laptop's more than 5 years old).

Did your invoice specify that replacement parts were installed or was the cost only to "clean" the Macbook?
My written request was to clean the Macbook and replace the broken arrow keys if possible. The diagnostic/repair report says "water spillage, unit cleaned".

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
OP: I'm in the US so my perspective may not apply to your situation (it appears you are located somewhere else). But if I were facing a similar problem, I would first look at the service agreement and find out what kind of warranty coverage applies to the repair work. There might also be national or local laws covering your right to a proper repair.

Next, if I wasn't able to get the repair shop to do what I wanted, I would go to one of my local newspapers or TV stations. Most local media outlets here have some sort of consumer help desk that often gets businesses, utilities, and government agencies to do something that was initially refused. Why? The threat of a negative news article or TV report that gets a lot of publicity.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
OP: I'm in the US so my perspective may not apply to your situation (it appears you are located somewhere else). But if I were facing a similar problem, I would first look at the service agreement and find out what kind of warranty coverage applies to the repair work. There might also be national or local laws covering your right to a proper repair.

Next, if I wasn't able to get the repair shop to do what I wanted, I would go to one of my local newspapers or TV stations. Most local media outlets here have some sort of consumer help desk that often gets businesses, utilities, and government agencies to do something that was initially refused. Why? The threat of a negative news article or TV report that gets a lot of publicity.
The OP asked that the unit be cleaned and broken arrow key be repaired if possible. The report said "water spillage, unit cleaned". There was no mention of a repair to the arrow key.

Right to repair is a good idea but it wasn't Apple that did the service. OP appears to have had the MacBook for more than 5 years and the spill occurred 2 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.