Set 'Open at Login' order?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by plasticparadox, Nov 9, 2005.

1. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I use two programs which use those 3rd-party menu extras. You know, the non-Apple ones that you can't move around with the command key + dragging. Specifically, I have Synergy and Adium up there.
    I'm being picky, but I want Synergy to load after Adium, so that the Synergy buttons will be on the left.

I'm thinking perhaps an AppleScript will work; making one that will first load Synergy, wait for it to finish loading, and then start Adium. Then I can set the script to load when OS X starts up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't know a lot about AppleScript.

TIA

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

This may be totally wrong (nice disclaimer, huh?) but I believe OS X opens apps at login in the order they are in the list (in System Preferences -> Accounts). So items higher in the login list get opened before items lower on the list.

3. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

That worked in Panther, but I can't seem to move apps around under Tiger.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed this is how OS X handles it, so you may have to remove them from the list and readd the right one so it shows up after the app you want to open first.

5. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, not working. Any other ideas?

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You could list your programs in an Applescript (a bunch of 'tell program "foo" to activate' lines) and then run that script at login time instead of listing the programs directly.

If these programs don't cause much to happen that you can detect from a script, you may have to resort to throwing a few 'delay 5' or whatever in the script to make sure they proceed far enough to get your menu extras in the order you want.

To make your script into something that can be run at login, set the file format to "application" in the File->Save dialog. Things don't need to be that complicated:
    Code:
    -- start up  iTunes normally
    tell application "iTunes" to activate

-- wait a few seconds for no particular reason
    delay 5

-- launch and hide Mail
    tell application "Mail" to activate
    tell application "Finder" to set visible of process "Mail" to false