Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvncrw46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Forgive my return to this forum for what I suppose Will reveal my technological incompetence. I have an unboxed Mac Mini 2012 and a relatively new Dell U2412m. Thanks to the answers from another question earlier on this forum, I will connect them via HDMI. I fear I am faced with a chicken and egg dilemma. I think I can set the input source on the Dell from the OSD independent of the Mac Mini. I suppose my simple question is, what issues may arise when I try and set up the Mac Mini and how would I resolve them? Thanks in advance.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don't suspect you'll have any issues. Just select the input type from the display controls [on the monitor], the Mini will output to the HDMI just fine.

Reactions: kvncrw46

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The Dell display will likely be set to autoselect whatever input is connected to it. You might have some choices about color settings, in the OSD. Give it a try without changing anything. That may give you a picture that is just fine.
I have a slightly older S2340M, connected to a 2012 mini. Works great for me.

To address your last question - It's hard to predict what issues you may get (and there may be no issues at all :D ), so setup your mini, then as issues appear (if any), return here. There's plenty of folks who can help you out.

kvncrw46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Vancouver, BC, Canada
The Dell display will likely be set to autoselect whatever input is connected to it. You might have some choices about color settings, in the OSD. Give it a try without changing anything. That may give you a picture that is just fine.

To address your last question - It's hard to predict what issues you may get (and there may be no issues at all :D ), so setup your mini, then as issues appear (if any), return here. There's plenty of folks who can help you out.

Thanks, D.T. and DeltaMac.

Last edited:

alisalem

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON
I have the same setup like yours and I recommend using DVI over HDMI.

HDMI lets OS X treat the display as a TV and forces it to use a color mode called YCbCr instead of the correct RGB. The colors will look slightly washed out and inaccurate.

Someone created a tool to force RGB, but since the U2412M comes with a DVI cable and the Mac mini has a DVI to HDMI converter, then better use that and save yourself the trouble.

kvncrw46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks, alisalem. I just wasn't clear. I began another thread earlier asking which connection to use with the Mac mini and Dell u2412m and a vigorous debate ensued. From that discussion, I intend to use the mini's DVI HDMI converter (with a DVI to DVI cable for extra length, which alas did not come with the secondhand monitor I purchased ) to connect to the DVI port in the monitor. Hopefully, I won't have to enter the technological stratosphere that you mentioned in your helpful post. Thanks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.