Setting up OS X Server for web hosting...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Fleetwood Mac, Feb 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I've installed OS X Server Leopard and all seems well.

Basically I want to use this machine to host a few websites (web, FTP, MySQL, mail, and DNS). I have a static IP. I need to know how to create name servers for this machine so it can manage DNS. Also, when I add a site in the Server Admin application, will it automatically add the entries to the DNS for me? Any tips for a beginner?

Thanks

2. macrumors newbie

As a thought have a look at the video tutorials available here. I found the $25 great value and my OS X Server Mac Mini is running as clean as a whistle thanks to me being able to "look over someone's shoulder" while I set it up.

As they say, if you get the DNS correct everything works like a charm, but if you don't ...

Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    MacP

3. macrumors 68000

TheReef

Hi, I'm not exactly sure about the DNS but there are some great free video tutorials here that I have been watching to learn about using a Mac server:

It is a series, scroll down the page to view each section.

http://www.freemacblog.com/category/server-video-series/

There is also an episode telling you how to set up a dynamic IP address with a domain name for those interested.

4. macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the link. i'll check it out