Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atisha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Can anyone please help me out with setting up a Skype proxy, via Network or any third party software? I can acquire a proxy IP, it will work on web via Network, but Skype is not intuitive at all.

After playing some games at night there are some little kids who like to get your IP address and DDOS to win video games. Since I work from home I can't afford to have this happen at all. I haven't found any resources on this and I'm sure others would love to learn how to do this.

Also, if this is impossible, is there at least a way to change one's IP address in ML with Time Capsule? This is so frustration that you can't even change the MAC address, and chatting with Comcast didn't help.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Atisha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
For anyone seeking a solution, a Mac user told me that this app works well as a Skype proxy:

http://www.spotflux.com

I haven't had time to test it yet, but he has been using it for a long time and swears by it.

superriku11

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Spotflux is a VPN application. OpenVPN client wrapped in custom branding really.

You want to tunnel Skype alone, and not all the rest of your connections. As doing things like logging into bank accounts, PayPal, or any other security conscious website, could cause problems for you if you do it from a VPN.

I recommend getting proxychains if you're an advanced user. As far as I'm aware there's no precompiled binary for OS X, but if you're capable enough you can compile it from source yourself. Proxychains is available here: http://proxychains.sourceforge.net/

If you're not an advanced user, I recommend Proxifier. It's been updated to be compatible with Mountain Lion and works great, with a lot of built in features. It's available here: http://www.proxifier.com/mac/

With Proxifier you can configure it to proxy Skype alone and nothing else. The program itself takes up 20 MB - 50 MB when I use it, so it's not a resource hog. And it's very great at what it does.

They both allow you to tunnel a specific program by the way. Proxychains can only tunnel specific programs though, while Proxifier has the ability to tunnel your entire system, if you set everything to be proxy'd.

Now, both of these things only tunnel a program if you have a proxy to use. For the problem you've described, Tor is great. Tor is available here: https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en

You can download the Tor Browser Bundle. Open it, wait about a minute, then quit the browser, and a program called Vidalia will remain open. It opens a SOCKS5 proxy on port 9150. So if you configure Proxifier or Proxychains to proxy server 127.0.0.1 on port 9150 for protocol SOCKS5, then set it to proxy Skype, your problems will be solved.

I realize this process is complicated for some people, so if you need assistance, feel free to contact me. I'm available to help you over Skype if you need.

Atisha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Spotflux is a VPN application. OpenVPN client wrapped in custom branding really.

You want to tunnel Skype alone, and not all the rest of your connections. As doing things like logging into bank accounts, PayPal, or any other security conscious website, could cause problems for you if you do it from a VPN.

I recommend getting proxychains if you're an advanced user. As far as I'm aware there's no precompiled binary for OS X, but if you're capable enough you can compile it from source yourself. Proxychains is available here: http://proxychains.sourceforge.net/

If you're not an advanced user, I recommend Proxifier. It's been updated to be compatible with Mountain Lion and works great, with a lot of built in features. It's available here: http://www.proxifier.com/mac/

With Proxifier you can configure it to proxy Skype alone and nothing else. The program itself takes up 20 MB - 50 MB when I use it, so it's not a resource hog. And it's very great at what it does.

They both allow you to tunnel a specific program by the way. Proxychains can only tunnel specific programs though, while Proxifier has the ability to tunnel your entire system, if you set everything to be proxy'd.

Now, both of these things only tunnel a program if you have a proxy to use. For the problem you've described, Tor is great. Tor is available here: https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en

You can download the Tor Browser Bundle. Open it, wait about a minute, then quit the browser, and a program called Vidalia will remain open. It opens a SOCKS5 proxy on port 9150. So if you configure Proxifier or Proxychains to proxy server 127.0.0.1 on port 9150 for protocol SOCKS5, then set it to proxy Skype, your problems will be solved.

I realize this process is complicated for some people, so if you need assistance, feel free to contact me. I'm available to help you over Skype if you need.

This sounds extremely helpful, thanks a lot, I'm going to try Tor Browser with Proxifier and see how it works.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Can anyone please help me out with setting up a Skype proxy, via Network or any third party software? I can acquire a proxy IP, it will work on web via Network, but Skype is not intuitive at all.

After playing some games at night there are some little kids who like to get your IP address and DDOS to win video games. Since I work from home I can't afford to have this happen at all. I haven't found any resources on this and I'm sure others would love to learn how to do this.

Also, if this is impossible, is there at least a way to change one's IP address in ML with Time Capsule? This is so frustration that you can't even change the MAC address, and chatting with Comcast didn't help.

Thanks!

Do you use a router at home? Are you on wireless? If yes, do you have WPA2 with a strong passphrase?

Are you saying that someone got your IP address that your ISP assigns to you? If yes, who cares. It's highly unlikely that they can get through your router's firewall? I would turn off remote admin

Remember, your router assigns IP addresses, not ML. It's of very little consequence if someone knows the IP address that your router assigns to your computer.

Question, what does this have to do with Skype?

superriku11

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Do you use a router at home? Are you on wireless? If yes, do you have WPA2 with a strong passphrase?

Are you saying that someone got your IP address that your ISP assigns to you? If yes, who cares. It's highly unlikely that they can get through your router's firewall? I would turn off remote admin

Remember, your router assigns IP addresses, not ML. It's of very little consequence if someone knows the IP address that your router assigns to your computer.

Question, what does this have to do with Skype?

He means that someone has his public IP address (which is not difficult to obtain) and that arrogant little kids who are sore losers initiate denial of service attacks at his IP.

They either do it from their own connection, or more likely, they've paid for limited access to multiple servers that are part of a botnet that can attack a single IP with one command. These kids usually refer to them as "booters" because they "boot" you offline.

Basically it's an automated DDoS system that he's being attacked by. It poses no threat, it's just an inconvenience. So what he's looking for is to hide his IP on Skype so that these irritating pests of kids can't do this anymore.

remkod89

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
Proxifier is not good for Skype because it doesn't support UDP (Skype uses UDP by default, it switches to TCP if UDP is blocked).

If you want to proxify Skype, you will need a program like ProxyCap.

bedouin

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
I know I'm resurrecting an ancient thread, but there is some great info here.

Thanks for this tip. I rely on Skype for my work in a country that has recently started blocking it. This helped me immensely.

Now if I could only find a solution for iOS.

Proxifier is not good for Skype because it doesn't support UDP (Skype uses UDP by default, it switches to TCP if UDP is blocked).

So far it's working well for me. That said, I only do file transfers and chat via text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.