Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcoventry76

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
Hi guys,

from 100% I am losing about 1% a minute using facebook video over wifi. Is this normal? I am used to an Android phone where I have 10,000mah battery and lose 1% per 30 mins. That said I expect the SE's tiny battery to go quicker.

But should I take it back Is it faulty?

I can get 5 hours screen time and 10 hours standby even if I use whatsapp web and have the screen off.

Cheers

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
Post a screenshot from the battery: Settings -> Battery.
Taking screenshot: push both power and Home button.
You also can take it to an Apple Store and let them check it out.

pcoventry76

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
Okay this is it with all the things. Like I said it's now been 31 mins of video calling.

url]

Mr.Pooya

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2014
Facebook is a battery killer. Try uninstalling it and then test your battery lifetime again. You can use Facebook on the web. And also send your battery usage.

pcoventry76

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
Thanks I will try that. I used to use Skype but it got bad. I will uninstall it - recharge and do the same call on Skype and see. To be fair I made a FB call right off the charge so that's why it shows 97%

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So this is making video calls using Facebook Messenger?

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
It sounds like you were video chatting using the FB Messenger for more than an hour. And that will definitely take its toll on the battery. But 1% each minute definitely sounds severe. There may be something else going on.

Mr.Pooya

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2014
It is normal you have had more than one hour of video calling which used 50%. There may be something else going on like background app refresh. Turn off background app refresh and try to limit spotlight and location services to the necessary apps. Also there are lots of useful articles about iPhone battery read them and share the results.

Last edited:

pcoventry76

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
Try tapping on that clock icon on the right to get the actual usage times for different apps as well.

Thanks for all the repies guys.

I was only video chatting for about 20 minutes. Possibly less. My large Android only took down 2% in an hour's worth of FB video calling on wifi

I took it to the store today and it turned out it was not charging the battery fully (fault on the board I was told)

I was offered a replacement or a refund. I went for the refund. The screen was too small for me anyway when trying to type. So I will even get a 6S Plus or a LG G3. Both are worthy of my cash (but one is £500 cheaper)

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.