Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Can confirm any traces of image retention are 100% gone instantly after installing the 17.1 RC on my 15 Pro Max.

Don’t know what the issue was, but Apple once again did their magic. 🥰

It would have been great if their software hadn’t caused this issue in the first place tbh, but yeah I’m glad this is sorted for folks experiencing the problem.

Reactions: adam1080

i007

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Tri-State
Until last night I never noticed a “burn in,” ghosting or image retention issue on my 15PM. While watching an episode of Changeling on the Apple TV app, that has very dark scenes, I noticed them ghosting keys and other various artifacts all over the screen. (Note: I was watching in a dark room with brightness about half). The artifacts on the screen were so distracting I couldn’t watch the show since it looked so weird. Naturally I decided to check the forums and when upon getting to the recent posts saw 17.1 fixed it for some. I just downloaded 17.1 rc and it appears all of the ghosting/artifacts are gone 🤞.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Until last night I never noticed a “burn in,” ghosting or image retention issue on my 15PM. While watching an episode of Changeling on the Apple TV app, that has very dark scenes, I noticed them ghosting keys and other various artifacts all over the screen. (Note: I was watching in a dark room with brightness about half). The artifacts on the screen were so distracting I couldn’t watch the show since it looked so weird. Naturally I decided to check the forums and when upon getting to the recent posts saw 17.1 fixed it for some. I just downloaded 17.1 rc and it appears all of the ghosting/artifacts are gone 🤞.
I'll update my original post in hopes of helping others reach that conclusion sooner.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Has this burn-in issue been completely fixed?

Some said that it is an image retention issue which could be fixed in software but others said it is a hardware burn-in issue which cannot be fixed. So which is which?

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
Has this burn-in issue been completely fixed?

Some said that it is an image retention issue which could be fixed in software but others said it is a hardware burn-in issue which cannot be fixed. So which is which?
It was fixed with one of the first updates after the phone was released, it's not a problem anymore.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
It was fixed with one of the first updates after the phone was released, it's not a problem anymore.

Thanks. So it was image retention issue. Do iPhone users with OLED screen need to worry about the real burn-in issue that may surface later?

How about the overhead issue? Considering iPhone 15 or 15 Plus.

inquirerGeneral

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022
I got an iPhone 15 Pro in late October, I have had 0 issues with the screen or "burn-in".

I have never heard of image retention on an OLED screen before, this was very odd to me. Other people report it from time to time but I think it must have been a glitch in the software itself causing the screen to show something -- OLED is either on or off, not a variation (as I understand it).

inquirerGeneral

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022
Thanks. So it was image retention issue. Do iPhone users with OLED screen need to worry about the real burn-in issue that may surface later?

How about the overhead issue? Considering iPhone 15 or 15 Plus.
Doubt it. The "burn in" fears from back in 2018 on phones is pretty much eliminated unless you just get a very unlucky faulty one OR you leave your screen on at full brightness on YouTube or Google Maps all day long.

I have never had burn in on any phone since 2018, and I'm a hobbyist and had about 15 phones during this time, with thousands of hours of use.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
LG has ways to help reduce the risk of burn in on their TV. For example, pixel shifting, some sort of self repairing, etc. Does Apple provide similar programs for iPhone users?

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
LG has ways to help reduce the risk of burn in on their TV. For example, pixel shifting, some sort of self repairing, etc. Does Apple provide similar programs for iPhone users?
Not user accessible. But there have to be some processes going on in the background as there are near zero complaints about burn in of iPhone OLED screens since the iPhone X.
I am still using my launch day iPhone X on a regular basis and it has not even the slightest burn in, no matter how hard I am searching for some 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.