Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
So I ordered an SGP Skin Guard a couple days ago.

Got it in the mail today only to open it and find out that the "stem" of the Apple cutout in the back is missing. I really wouldn't mind, but the Apple without the stem looks like a fat packman with a dented head and his butt showing. I can't wait to deal with SGPs AWESOME customer service!

Anyone else have to deal with SGPs crappy customer service and would like to tell me what I'm in for?

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 77

Menzo

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Try their 'Contact us' from their webpage. I did so yesterday asking for a replacement after my screen protector began lifting. They replied shortly thereafter with a shipping notice too. Very impressed as a lot of people here seem to have trouble contacting their customer support.

mcqueen

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Are you positive its not there? I had to peel mine out, I figured I got sent a defective one also but when I looked closely there was an outline of the logo... and I had to take the cutouts out after I applied the skin to my phone :confused:

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Jason from SGP just sent me a ULTRA Fine "Beta" , ULTRA Oleophobic, Carbon Fiber 3D & a Fine Black Leather Smooth to test for them. all of the front pieces have the camera cut out and the Carbon Fiber & Ultra Fine Black Leather both have the Apple Logo "with the Stem".....you must have gotten a dud or as thye other poster suggested its because the cut out remains in place still;)

Steveo47

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2010
hah how does that even happen? im sure they all go through a machine which cuts them, the stem machine must have been down.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
hah how does that even happen? im sure they all go through a machine which cuts them, the stem machine must have been down.

I was wondering the exact same thing bro:confused:
There is no stem machine the cuts are programmed into a CNC Routing Machine when the master template is Ok'ed by the Programmer/machinist the Production run for all to follow is started.

Drakdaddy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Alright, for one, why did you take off your PS? Most people leave it on when they apply the skin, including myself. Also, why did you take it off before you got the package?

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Alright, for one, why did you take off your PS? Most people leave it on when they apply the skin, including myself. Also, why did you take it off before you got the package?

Because I was told if you left the protector on the back, the adhesive to the Skin Guard would be extremely difficult to get off if trying to peel it from a screen protector.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
So i decided to just try and install it anyway to see how bad it really looked, and I'm noticing that when my Apple logo is PERFECTLY lined up with the Skin Guard, there a HUGE gap between where it ends and where the stainless bezel starts (so theres a lot of back showing) and when I throw the bumper on, you can still see a huge amount of the iPhone 4 back. I'm thinking I just got myself a really bad protector.

EDIT: I went to put the Skin Guard on and I saw the cutout for the "stem" like someone mentioned above.

So here are the pictures of my new dilemma... A huge freaking gap. And before anyone asks, it's installed perfectly.

Attachments

• Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo8.jpg
    Photo8.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 624

Drakdaddy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
So i decided to just try and install it anyway to see how bad it really looked, and I'm noticing that when my Apple logo is PERFECTLY lined up with the Skin Guard, there a HUGE gap between where it ends and where the stainless bezel starts (so theres a lot of back showing) and when I throw the bumper on, you can still see a huge amount of the iPhone 4 back. I'm thinking I just got myself a really bad protector.

EDIT: I went to put the Skin Guard on and I saw the cutout for the "stem" like someone mentioned above.

So here are the pictures of my new dilemma... A huge freaking gap. And before anyone asks, it's installed perfectly.

Well there is supposed to be gaps on all sides so that it doesnt interfere with the bumper, but yeah, definitely not supposed to be that bad of a gap. Also, isnt the stem supposed to be seperate from the apple?

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Well there is supposed to be gaps on all sides so that it doesnt interfere with the bumper, but yeah, definitely not supposed to be that bad of a gap. Also, isnt the stem supposed to be seperate from the apple?

it is, just ever so slightly so you can't tell from the pictures (had to take them with my iSight)

But yeah, I just hope SGP doesn't give me a load of bull saying something like "well when installed properly, blah blah blah."

I've watched so many videos on installs and reviews and no one seems to be having this same problem so I'm guessing it really is just a lemon Skin Guard.

edrhew

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
So the whole premise of your original post is moot, since you blamed SGP for not sending you the stem when in fact you were not observant enough to notice you did have the stem.

Also the cutouts are all done by a preset die cutter so I don't think a difference in size could be possible. There is some spacing on the edges to allow for the bumper so maybe you just didn't install it correctly.

E.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
So the whole premise of your original post is moot, since you blamed SGP for not sending you the stem when in fact you were not observant enough to notice you did have the stem.

Also the cutouts are all done by a preset die cutter so I don't think a difference in size could be possible. There is some spacing on the edges to allow for the bumper so maybe you just didn't install it correctly.

E.

Yeah, it's definintly not possible. Please explain to me then how when everything is lined perfectly up that the gap is still that large even with the bumper?

johnnybgood15

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2003
Yeah, it's definintly not possible. Please explain to me then how when everything is lined perfectly up that the gap is still that large even with the bumper?

Maybe you just got a bad one...I mean the apple stem was missing. Errrghhh ahhhhh wait you were wrong about that I'm guessing user error on all fronts!

ilovegoodnugz

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I got one with the gap so +1 on that, it wouldn't be so bad if I didnt have ocd and am constantly trying to shift my bumper to cover it....

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I got one with the gap so +1 on that, it wouldn't be so bad if I didnt have ocd and am constantly trying to shift my bumper to cover it....

Thank you! The gap on mine is so big that no matter how I shift the bumper you can't even begin to hide it. I'm just really hoping that SGP gives me the benefit of the doubt and allows me to at least swap it out for another one. I've spent at least another hour today measuring the film and trying to reinstall it and it's definitely either cut too short, or the Apple Logo and the camera cut out were misplaced.

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
They seem to have an active Twitter account. @sgpstore

Try contacting them through there and you may get a faster response. My experience with their CS is that they are slow to respond through email.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
They seem to have an active Twitter account. @sgpstore

Try contacting them through there and you may get a faster response. My experience with their CS is that they are slow to respond through email.

Much appreciated. We'll have to see on Monday if they respond. I was really looking forward to using the Skin Guard/Bumper combo :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.