Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Until recently, I'd never really thought much about changing the theme on my Mac, although I knew people who did it. I have been playing around with the demo of Shapeshifter for the past few days, and I am liking it, particularly some of the darker (surprise, surprise) themes. I'm not sure if it's just a temporary infatuation or something I would stick with though. I suppose I'll ride out the 15 day demo and see how I feel then.

A few questions:

1- Anyone else play with Shapeshifter, and if so, was it a passing fancy or not?
2- What theme do you use most frequently? Do you change up themes or stick to one?
3- Are there other sources for skins, aside from the ones Shapeshifter directs you to?

Theme: Fear Platinum3
Icons: eXec
Cursor: Fear Platinum Shard
Desktop: Sweet Slumber - Sweet Oblivion V1

Attachments

• SS-desktop.jpg
    SS-desktop.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 238

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I played with it for a few days... maybe a week or so, but it got old...

Most themes are a little too extreme and can be tiring on the eyes after awhile, but good ole' aqua never gets old :)

reality

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm not really into theming my Mac, and I consider ShapeShifter and all of its cousins to be "dangerous hacks" - therefore, I don't use them.

What I would like is for Apple to offer some more user interface customizing options in the OS, such as using that great built-in color picker to choose custom colors for user interface elements.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
I use it, bought it. It can't harm anything system-wise because it changes things on the ram and on the fly, nothing is permanent. Your original files are there and in place in the system, just when you open a new app or login it uses the theme's resources instead of the ones in system, so it's 100% safe. I used it a lot on panther, though I didn't use any exagerated themes that got old. On tiger I switch back to aqua once in a while because I miss my unified toolbar look. I like shapeshifter.
Other places for themes? Of course! The ones shapeshifter offers you are just starters. There are a ton at resexcellence.com, maxthemes.com is nice, macthemes.com has good reviews and nice themes too. When shapeshifter get a way to apply the unified toolbar look I will use it pretty much always. And it doesn't cost that much, like $25 or something.
All up to you!

llama :D

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I've been trying the demo between various installations, but eventually stop using it because I worried it might take too much RAM (although judging by another post, it might not do so..)

I might have to try it out again so I can check out the very cool looking skin from the "How did he do this to the Finder?" thread. I'm a sucker for dark themes (although I'm also a fan of the Milk theme).

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
It looks like it would be fun, but I am scared of screwing up my system and would rather have the 20 bucks that would cost go to something more useful, such as Tinkertool System or Candybar...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I like to use my system to the max. Looks are important to me, but who needs more looks than OS X? If all you want it looks, try XP.

I mean maybe it only takes 7MB RAM, but I could have a whole other program open using that 7MB RAM.

Noone, noone can tell me it works just as good as regular OS X (meaning graphic messups, etc.)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Flying Llama said:
Takes up 7mb of RAM on my system...

llama :confused:

on mine it made my programs use double the amount of RAM they usually did o_O

I had it installed Finder was taking up 40MB, i uninstall it finder goes down to 17

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
ITASOR said:
[SNIP]

Noone, noone can tell me it works just as good as regular OS X (meaning graphic messups, etc.)

Actually, I can, if you download and apply a Tiger updated theme from a trusted source (the most trusted is usually maxthemes.com). I have never had a single graphics glitch or messup, wrong color of text or anything out of the ordinary with any maxthemes tiger approved theme, not to mention many others. Theming use to be worse, no longer the problem. The only problem I can think of no longer having the unified toolbar look.

llama

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
eva01 said:
on mine it made my programs use double the amount of RAM they usually did o_O

I had it installed Finder was taking up 40MB, i uninstall it finder goes down to 17

Hmm, what version of shapeshifter were you using, and what theme? My finder is taking 18mb on my theme-applied system.

esXXI

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2005
Preston, England
Just to shout in: Shapeshifter does not edit any of your system files - it redirects calls the resources file normally used to the theme's, and this only happens when an app is loaded (the slow down is negligible). It does not make the application run slower during use, use more RAM, etc.

I don't use it much myself, apart from testing because I do themes for it.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
after reading this thread i downloaded it (havent bought yet) and applied the "eylo" theme. looks realy nice and no noticeable slow down. seems like a great app!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 176

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
esXXI said:
Just to shout in: Shapeshifter does not edit any of your system files - it redirects calls the resources file normally used to the theme's, and this only happens when an app is loaded (the slow down is negligible). It does not make the application run slower during use, use more RAM, etc.

Thank you! At least someone understands...
And man I love your stuff! (guikits, desks etc)

llama :)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Flying Llama said:
Hmm, what version of shapeshifter were you using, and what theme? My finder is taking 18mb on my theme-applied system.

weird maybe the version i had was just buggy, it was the trial version :/ who knows maybe my computer just didn't like me for those days, but i never went back to it after that either.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I do not use it...I actually like my OS X the way it is...too many of the themes out there are way too "loud" loooking and must get really tired on the eyes....why mess around with the system when I don't need to....oh yeah!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
homerjward said:
after reading this thread i downloaded it (havent bought yet) and applied the "eylo" theme. looks realy nice and no noticeable slow down. seems like a great app!

MAN! THAT'S UGLY. Sorry, but man, how could anyone use that and get any work done?

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
I've had it for a while and didn't use when I installed Tiger, but a month ago I started using it again and it really rocks. This is my theme:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 119

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
You know guys (and gals ;) ), you don't have to apply the theme desktop pic... you can use your own. I know, just checking, because it seems that every screenshot of a themes OSX uses the theme desktop.

llama :eek:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
esXXI said:

Awesome. I really like Niqu. I can see that being in the rotation if I decide to purchase SS. You are very talented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.