Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Citymapper
SamMote (remote control TV)
Do Button (control Nest)
SoundHound (identify song)
Stocard (Tesco/Sainsburys etc store cards on watch)
Authy (two factor authentication codes)
1password (useful codes on wrist)

I don't use 1password at the moment. But the watch use has my curious. Do you mind explaining a little detail about it? I tried to find a demo of someone using it on the watch, but couldn't find anything. I'd just like to know the process and benefit of having it on your watch.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I don't use 1password at the moment. But the watch use has my curious. Do you mind explaining a little detail about it? I tried to find a demo of someone using it on the watch, but couldn't find anything. I'd just like to know the process and benefit of having it on your watch.

All it does is provide a list of logins/notes or any other item in 1password that you select to appear on the watch. So you go into 1password on the phone, select an item you want to appear on the watch and select "show on watch" - it will then appear in the watch app.

It is fairly simple and would be useful just for things that you forget and need to keep remembering quickly like phone PIN numbers, door codes etc.

----------

Siri doesn't identify songs on the apple watch... If you ask her to she'll just tell you to use handoff to start Siri on the phone.

It's also worth noting that shazam for the apple watch actually uses the mic on the phone because devs don't have access to the mic on the watch yet. I was having trouble getting it to recognize a song until I realized that my phone was in a place where the mic couldn't pick up the music. That said, though, shazam for the watch does work quite well.

Interesting point about the mic; hadn't thought about that.

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Cloud Baby Monitor. View a live video stream on your Watch, volume meter, turn on/off crib light. Works over the internet too.

Ehpehp

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
so far of the non built-in apps
good:
-Things-I'm using much more with the Watch & iPhone app
-Teal-a counter app to track recurring tasks such as flossing, taking vitamins, etc

needs work:
-Nike+ was too slow; maybe requires iPhone 6 v my iPhone 5s; will try updated version soon

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
A couple I like.

• Yahoo Weather (I also like the builtin Weather app - oddly The Weather Channels' app is so poor to me)
  • myAltitude
  • LA Fitness (pass on my wrist)
  • Automatic [car diagnostics - milage app] (location on wrist)

Last edited:
Reactions: mwfloyd15

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden

1password-for-apple-watch-03.png

1password-for-apple-watch-02.png

1password-for-apple-watch-04.png

1Password-for-Apple-Watch-05.png

Reactions: appledefenceforce

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden
I've seen the pictures online. I just still don't really understand what it is doing or what the point of it is vs juts having it on your computer or something.

I'll find 1password to iOS sick! It's a killer app!

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Pandora here. I use it to control music playing through a blue tooth speaker or headset. It's awesome, you can even change stations on the watch.

----------

Shazam and Soundhound both switch the sound from the BT speaker to the phone. Little tricky getting it to go back to the speaker.

macdaddy86

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
Manchester, UK
There are 3500 apps for Apple Watch so far and a lot of them are slow or pointless after the novelty wears off in 5 seconds. So, what are your favorite Apple Watch apps that you actually find useful? I'll start.
  • Philips Hue: Control your Hue lightbulbs using your wrist
  • Lifesum: Keeps your day-to-day life on track
  • Shazam: No more fumbling to get your iPhone out of your pocket before the song you're trying to identify ends
  • Yahoo Weather: Very sleek design and offers detailed weather information
  • Passbook: Having your boarding pass on your wrist is one less stressful thing to worry about at the airport

Where are these 3500 Apps? i cant see that many, is there a list somewhere?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Where are these 3500 Apps? i cant see that many, is there a list somewhere?

The watch store just shows what Apple wants you to see, you have to search for the rest. There are websites where you can browse through most of the released apps. WatchAware.com is one.

Last edited:

chiffchaff

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Western US
OmniFocus. The watch app is really well designed and so far works flawlessly. One nice feature is that if you are in a particular perspective on your phone, that perspective will show up on the watch as well. When you change on the phone, the watch changes too. Just another thoughtful touch from the great folks at Omni.

Edited to add: I just set up 1Password to work with the watch. It's going to be really useful.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.