Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Hi all.

I want to share my Mac peripherals (24" lcd, 19" lcd, keyboard & mouse) with a pc (Acer box). Please do not ask me why, as it pains to answer.

I have a Belkin 'switch' which is analogue, so when I hook all this up through it, the resolution through the mac is now complete dogpants in comparison.

I guess I am asking is there a DVI version of the Belkin switch I have (which I can use an adaptor for the pc), or is there a better & simpler way of doing what I am trying to do?

Thanks in advance for any help & advice.:eek:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
There are many DVI KVMs out there. Have you just tried changing the setting on your Mac. Try adjusting the resolution and refresh rate, I've found that most screens will give you an option over VGA, but LCDs will look best with your Mac outputs at 60Hz.

TEG

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
yea, played around with it (running at 1680 x 1050 for the 24") but it is noticably poorer than through the DVI.

I have read in searching the forums that people seem to sometimes 'not notice' the difference between DVI & analogue, but to me its worlds apart (even typing this message, just not as crisp etc).

Also, it gives a 'flicker' to the display from time to time...

TEG, do you have any recomendations on some DVI KVMs that support the Apple mouse & keyboard? Thank you very much in advance.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
Thanks TEG, you have been a great help, I have found an array of choice, thanks again.

You say about the USB being the same, but on the analogue I have here the PC does not recognise the extended part of the apple keyboard, should this be the case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.