Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadio2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
London, Ontario
I just wanted to know fi i can share my external hardrive which is the 2nd drive between my mac and pc. This way i can access all the files annd music without switching or using my network.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Wouldn't that depend on the model of drive? If the drive has both USB and FireWire you would physically be able to connect it to two systems, but would it just not show up on one computer?

hansen

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Denmark
I have a Maxtor drive w. USB formatted for Windows. When I connect it to my Mac it becomes read-only. Any ideas?

dadio2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
London, Ontario
does that mean that the drive may seem smaller in fat32?

I just tried with partition magic 8 and it wont let me covert my 2nd drive. I will only let me convert my system drive (c:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
CanadaRAM said:
Shudder.... two different OS's issuing read and write commands to the same head?

Oh yeah, I was thinking of it more along the lines of a SQL server, where the OS would say "give me this file" rather than doing at at a much lower level. Oh well, I'm an idiot :rolleyes:

dadio2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2005
London, Ontario
In partition magic it says my second drive (e:) and c system is active but it will only give me an option to format the c drive to fat32 with my 2nd drive it just says partition to ntfs still. Its a 250gig. Is they size the problem or how can I fix this.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
How about a nework drive setup?

If you want to share the files, why not use a network drive? They seem to be all the rage now, with quite a few cheaper models out.

Here's the LaCie 500 GB model:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10602

This uses a simple OS running inside the HD, so that both your Mac and PC (as well as anyone else on the network) will see this as an independent network device.

Edit - you said that you didn't want to use the network, but I assume that to mean that you don;t want to be transferring files back and forth, with YOU having to remember where the originals are. The network drive does use a network, but the point is that it appears like a "common HD" between the Mac and PC.

Also, this really requires a hard wired solution - wireless would probably be too slow to make this work without pulling out your hair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.