Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
I don't. But, I don't care if you do, except for one thing. I want a serious anti-glare (e.g. true matte, or, at least, serious anti-glare coatings), and, that usually doesn't go with touchscreen.

You don't care about Apple being more innovative?!

True fan, indeed.

Of Apple, and apparently of antiglare coating....

But we don't care. Really.

:D

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
You didn't read the article. It's for retail/commercial applications, not for consumer use.

As a developer, I've had to slum a few kiosk projects in Windows land over the past few years. Touchscreen support for OSX (Objective-C) has been practically nonexistent. Unfortunately, Windows 7/8 has really been the only choice.

If Sharp can put out a reliable commercial display with a solid OSX SDK for a reasonable price (sub $10K USD - remember, this isn't for your home computer), they will have a winner on their hands. Even without UIKit, I'd still kill to be able to develop multitouch Objective-C software (a la iOS) instead of Win 8 apps.

My first thought was a Mac Mini based kiosk using this...

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
You don't care about Apple being more innovative?!

True fan, indeed.

Of Apple, and apparently of antiglare coating....

But we don't care. Really.

:D

Apple's innovation in dropping anti-glare from their products was a mistake. Sometimes innovations are mistakes.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally, is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position. This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged, emotional issues. In those cases the false victory is often loudly or conspicuously celebrated. (Wikipedia)

1. OS X is not getting touch screen implementation.
2. Apple owners are not like "take my $$$$$!" for this monitor.
3. You sir, are a troll.

And I can keep mocking Microsoft for ruining Windows, the most widespread desktop OS, with forcing it to accommodate for both high-precision pointing devices and finger-sized touch targets. A user interface can always only be optimal for one of both or none of both. Metro is the latter. :p

Well after all that self righteousness u still have to throw punches at MS.

You pretty much refuted your argument.

You sir are the troll.

Good day ( slams door on your face)

1Life

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well after all that self righteousness u still have to throw punches at MS.

You pretty much refuted your argument.

You sir are the troll.

Good day ( slams door on your face)

Self righteousness? He was just calling you out on your ridiculous "troll" post. Who are these "apple owners" that you are referring to? Are you generalizing the behavior of a couple of forum posters to the whole Apple user community? If so, what do you think you would accomplish by posting an inflammatory post on a Mac/Apple oriented forum? You hoping for the Apple haters brigade to come in here and pat you on your back and tell you how smart and great you are?

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Self righteousness? He was just calling you out on your ridiculous "troll" post. Who are these "apple owners" that you are referring to? Are you generalizing the behavior of a couple of forum posters to the whole Apple user community? If so, what do you think you would accomplish by posting an inflammatory post on a Mac/Apple oriented forum? You hoping for the Apple haters brigade to come in here and pat you on your back and tell you how smart and great you are?

(Opens door)

I'll have you know I own several apple products.

I have no blind allegiance

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hybris and Timidity in one. If you think you are fit enough to replace Craig Federighi as Apples Senior Vice President for Software Engineering, than you have to know what you do without having to ask someone. How are stupid beta testers supposed to know about building an OS? You may as well ask the horses how to build cars? :confused:

What? You make no sense? Someone states I'd like to see you make a better OS, I proclaim sure give me Apples resources, then you post this????

And no, beta testers don't know how to build an OS, but they damn well know how to test one and feedback to Apple what is wrong with it, something which with iOS7 Apple obviously chose to completely ignore.

1Life

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
(Opens door)

I'll have you know I own several apple products.

I have no blind allegiance

Blind allegiance? Who are you referring to? This is the "straw man" that Gudi is referring to. It would seem to me that you have read or heard some hypocritical comments from a few users and extrapolated this to the whole Apple user community. I'm not sure who put your knickers in a twist but it would be more constructive to address it with them as opposed to going on a Mac/Apple oriented forum and calling people hypocrites.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Why drag grubby fingers all over the screen when a mouse is already a superior input device?

Because a mouse can only control one thing at a time. But I'm not sure I want a large scale touch screen monitor myself.

----------

Yes, totally agree, matte option please! :)

Definitely a matte option. I'm so tired of having to angle my iPhone, or Macbook Pro to avoid reflections.

Luckily I still have an amazing looking 30" ACD for my MPro.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Someone states I'd like to see you make a better OS, I proclaim sure give me Apples resources, then you post this????
Because I believe there is more to making an OS than having the resources. You know how much more money and people Microsoft invests in research and development than Apple? Someone could give you all these resources and you couldn't come up with something better than Windows 7. You are giving the Apple guys much to less credit for what they are getting right. To make a better OS, you first have to make an OS that is as good. And even the richest man in the world, Bill Gates couldn't do it. Making a better OS is not nearly as easy as you are making it to believe.
And no, beta testers don't know how to build an OS, but they damn well know how to test one and feedback to Apple what is wrong with it, something which with iOS7 Apple obviously chose to completely ignore.
No they don't know what is wrong, they only know where something might be wrong. Big difference! If you have a good understanding of what it is that is wrong, than you are half way of fixing it. Most times people do not even realize that something is wrong let alone what it is. When designers scream "iOS 7 icons are all wrong" the response often is, you can't argue about taste or people don't like changes. Criticism seldom leads to even acknowledge the problem. From all the official statements one must believe that Apple UI designers do think that iOS 7 is just gorgeous.

Renzatic

Suspended
Because I believe there is more to making an OS than having the resources. You know how much more money and people Microsoft invests in research and development than Apple? Someone could give you all these resources and you couldn't come up with something better than Windows 7. You are giving the Apple guys much to less credit for what they are getting right. To make a better OS, you first have to make an OS that is as good. And even the richest man in the world, Bill Gates couldn't do it. Making a better OS is not nearly as easy as you are making it to believe.

Based upon your stirring argument, I've come to the conclusion that no one here should ever, EVER criticize anything done by anyone, be it Apple, Microsoft, or Google.

Cuz you're right. None of us here are qualified. We might as well keep our worthless opinions to ourselves and cancel our internet connections.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
This thing is a forerunner to a tablet that will run OS X. that's the part that has me excited, an iPad that runs OS X, like the Microsoft surface. Imagine having a 15 inch tablet that runs OS X, that would be awesome.

I've got to ask.
have you actually used a touchscreen? for more than a few minutes and not as just a demo somewhere? I was recently at a conference where I shared an office for a few days with a guy who had a small touch windows 8 notebook. he let me play with it for quite a bit. let me tell you using touch on it vertical position was TERRIBLE. and it was not because it was Windows. it was because the ergonomics were awful. constantly poking at the screen tires your arms really fast. just lift your arm, touch the screen of whatever computer you are using and hold it there for 5 minutes without doing anything else (no cheating please). then come back and tell me how it feels. switching between inputs (touch and mouse/keyboard) is also very inefficient and annoying.
plus OS X is not touch optimized at all. using it even on a small touch notebook will be very frustrating.

all in all, this is just a bad idea all around and I strongly suspect that people in this thread who say they want this thing haven't had much experience with touch and haven't thought this through.

Yes i did, it was windows machine - thus can not directly compare ergonomics, UI, and OS to apple ecosystem. Like i said, i would use it to augment the use of my peripherals: trackpad and keyboard!

bjeadeh

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Having touchscreen abilities may be nice for some minor tweaking, but I really don't see it working for long term use. The ergonomics just don't make sense. Unless you can angle the screen so that it's more horizontal to the desk, but then you would have to look down rather than straight ahead. For "key presses" themselves, a physical key is still much easier than touching a screen. I'd rather not have to take my eye off the source/record monitors just because I need to see if my hand is in the right place. Seems to me that a keyboard and mouse/trackball/digitizer will still be much more efficient, unless the UI of the software undergoes a radical transformation.

Of course. I've seen monitor supports that angle down to be almost flat. There are so many remote controls for other applications, logic Pro X remote comes to mind, that simply adding virtual faders is a good enough reason to have it on a large touch monitor. With one this big, you can have your eyes on the source that is also next to where your fingers are touching the screen. Motorized or non-motorized faders, moving parts, are a thing of the past. Even Pots are gone and are now rotary encoders. Next up, virtual rotary encoders.

----------

I'm guessing that you would use these near horizontal, and I'm quite fine with that, but vertical, not so much.

Vertical, if the user is standing makes sense, like presentations, education and such.

Yes, exactly. Vertical touch monitors maybe for a kiosk or something like that. Think more like a light table for artists.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
If you want to see what happens when OS X and iOS are married into a single OS, just look at the disaster that continues to be Windows 8/8.1.

I also really fail to see the benefits. I don't want my screen all dirty from constantly touching it and then there's the matter of my arm falling off...

You want a wonderful touch experience on the Mac? Get the Magic Trackpad. It is awesome! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.