Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
How are the sharp edges on the new MB? Looking at some unboxing photos it seams that the sharp edges are still there. I had real problems typing on my Mb until I rounded the edges off.

Some people who have used or have on your views would be nice. :)

I love the new Mb just don't need to bleed for one.

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
the edges are sharper than the old ones. My 2.2 mbp is smoother (but could certainly be better) than my son's new 2.4 MB. I played around with a new MBP at the store yesterday and it was pretty sharp.

As long as my typing form was good, not a problem. But I tend to get lazy and the edge is pretty noticeable / annoying. While working on the new MB last night, not a problem, but when just casually browsing and playing with the new machine, I had to be careful not to rest on the edge or it was pretty uncomfortable.

ymmv,

Mark

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
LOL at previous poster. If you think the edges are sharp on these new MacBooks, I can't imagine what you think about a knife!

I have to disagree and say the edges are not sharp at all. Not like the previous MacBooks anyway. I have no problems at all with the edges of my new MacBook.

DSG

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Definitely form over function as has increasingly been the case since the Pismo. The edges are sharp - you won't cut yourself(!) but it may well be uncomfortable depending on your typing style. It is certainly not consistent with the 'Pro' label - just go and play with a ThinkPad to see what a Pro computer should feel like if you're going to use it day-in-day-out. Ergonomics should be paramount - a professional computer should not be designed like jewellery or as an aesthetic design statement.

Also, the case didn't feel as solid as I expected - it seemed to me that it was all a bit bendy. The new process is presumably similar to that used on the original iPhone - interesting that in that case it was quickly abandoned and, from personal experience, inconsistent in quality. Once again, go look at the engineering on a ThinkPad - I know which I'd want to rely on.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
They learned from the MBA! The MacBook Alu is soft-cornered with an almost invisible round edge. It's *very* comfortable and does not cut into your skin! I LOVE this lappy, go get one! :cool:

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
LOL at previous poster. If you think the edges are sharp on these new MacBooks, I can't imagine what you think about a knife!

I have to disagree and say the edges are not sharp at all. Not like the previous MacBooks anyway. I have no problems at all with the edges of my new MacBook.

Are we comparing cutlery or laptop's? My Lenovo and other quality laptops in the past had very intentionally smoothed front corners. It is more forgiving and comfortable for different typing styles. The "sharp" front edge serves nothing more than aesthetics imo and should have a more rounded/chamfered edge. Whether it is to rest my hands, shift positions, or avoid the heat of the machine, my wrists often end up on the front edge of a laptop. But of course it's an Apple so I must be doing something wrong :rolleyes:

Mark

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
How are the sharp edges on the new MB? Looking at some unboxing photos it seams that the sharp edges are still there. I had real problems typing on my Mb until I rounded the edges off.

Some people who have used or have on your views would be nice. :)

I love the new Mb just don't need to bleed for one.

You may be annoyed by it but you won't bleed.

Really? People are actually getting cut on MBs?

I seriously doubt it.

brattymack

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
Fix for sharp edges

After 1 year of being annoyed by these edges - here is a simple, permanent and unnoticeable solution.

I used a drywall sanding sponge and sanded off the sharp edges. Typing this message and using mouse pad is not painful anymore. A miracle.

As suggested earlier, I would say any fine sandpaper will do. You won't see any visible marks, you'll just be pain free.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Who are you trying to fool? Because the edges are not sharp. Period. You have to really stick your wrist right in there to feel it. Anything can be "sharp" if you set your mind out to fool yourself that way.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
After 1 year of being annoyed by these edges - here is a simple, permanent and unnoticeable solution.

I used a drywall sanding sponge and sanded off the sharp edges. Typing this message and using mouse pad is not painful anymore. A miracle.

As suggested earlier, I would say any fine sandpaper will do. You won't see any visible marks, you'll just be pain free.

Haven't the Aluminum MacBooks only been out since October? Are you from the future? What do the iPhone Nano's look like?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
No complaints here.... Haven't had any problems with the edge..
So no SHARP edges, but a SHARP MacBook... hahahaha :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.