Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
OK, I'll start the BASH Martha Thread. She is out, on the 153 acre New York ranch, soaking up a $900,000 salary while on house arrest, baking cookies (probably pot brownies for her buds at the jailhouse). Now for the important reporting....
Stewart wore blue jeans and a fashionable knit poncho over a green turtleneck.

Help me I'm melting .........
Stewart has been busy in prison.

According to her magazine "Martha Stewart Living," she has foraged for dandelion greens to improve the prison fare, whipped up impromptu microwave recipes, taught yoga, read Bob Dylan's autobiography, made a ceramic Nativity scene for her mother and crocheted toy opossums for her dogs.

In anticipation of getting out, she ordered seeds and made to-do lists.

Fans were just as excited. The Web site http://www.savemartha.com featured a clock counting down the minutes until her release and suggestions for throwing a "Free Martha" party -- Trade recipes and serve a spring-like buffet.

My morbid curiousity will make me watch her upcoming "apprentice" show, I really am tired of the "Lady".

Could probably run a poll on this thread too, those able to, just jump in and do it.

Save Martha Stewart which includes the 7 women march on washington! :D

Attachments

• march[1].jpg
    march[1].jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 126

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
stubeeef said:
Save Martha Stewart which includes the 7 women march on washington! :D

Ouch, that's a terrible image - you think they could have at least made it a bit better. Its totally photoshopped, too. Even without looking at the details you can tell because its impossible to be the only 7 people in front of the Lincoln Memorial :D

There'd be at least one Park Ranger in that pic :p

I've now wasted more time than I'd ever like to on discussing this, that is all....

D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
Ouch, that's a terrible image - you think they could have at least made it a bit better. Its totally photoshopped, too. Even without looking at the details you can tell because its impossible to be the only 7 people in front of the Lincoln Memorial :D

There'd be at least one Park Ranger in that pic :p

I've now wasted more time than I'd ever like to on discussing this, that is all....

D

I didn't make it, dragged it from the site. I think they just wanted to show how insignificant those 7 were. I laughed, thought the premise was pretty funny. :D

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
gwuMACaddict said:
personally, i'm glad she's out... i think she got a bad rap...
I thought so too. Yes, she broke the law, no argument there, but I doubt that the average person on the street calling for her head could tell you exactly what it was that she did. She's just one of those celebrities that people love to hate, and they were glad to see something bad happen to her.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
I don't like her - think she is a pompous B!tch, but I do think they went after her like a witch hunt - I am positive that there were and still are many many people involved in insider trading - it was a great media coup to get the big name and nail her...oh, well back to 'work' for the ex-con;)

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Lyle said:
I thought so too. Yes, she broke the law, no argument there, but I doubt that the average person on the street calling for her head could tell you exactly what it was that she did. She's just one of those celebrities that people love to hate, and they were glad to see something bad happen to her.

I respectfully disagree, she originally was investigated for insider trading and then caught lying. While I don't see her as evil, but I do see her as the tip of the iceburg, the only injustice here is that more CEO's have not been convicted of the same and worse. Until the ba$+ards at Enron and Worldcom have rotted in jail for avarice and greed, there will be no justice.
Locally, I am hoping for charges against Mr. Scott Livengood the X-CEO of KrispyKreme who saw the company as his personal bank account too.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
She got a bad rap?!

gwuMACaddict said:
personally, i'm glad she's out... i think she got a bad rap...

she LIED to Federal Investigators... This is what she was put away for, if this is acceptable in society our whole means of government is tossed out.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
broken_keyboard said:
I'm glad she's out too. I don't understand why people hate her.

She is a very vindictive, mean-spirited person. Not at all the person you see on tv.

She actually drove her truck onto the lawn to pin her neighbor between her truck door and the fence separating their properties. She treats her landscaping people as trash, refusing to pay them proper wages; instead taking them to court to classify them as farm help, and therefore not required to pay them Federal minimum wages.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
stubeeef said:
I respectfully disagree, she originally was investigated for insider trading and then caught lying. While I don't see her as evil, but I do see her as the tip of the iceburg, the only injustice here is that more CEO's have not been convicted of the same and worse. Until the ba$+ards at Enron and Worldcom have rotted in jail for avarice and greed, there will be no justice.
Locally, I am hoping for charges against Mr. Scott Livengood the X-CEO of KrispyKreme who saw the company as his personal bank account too.

I agree, but she did serve her time and was lying about a relatively small amount of money. The Enron and Worldcom folks deserve much worse, as do countless other biznismen.

Personally, I don't like her because I find her insipid. But the good feminist in me thinks it's good to have a few powerful women in this country.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
RGunner said:
she LIED to Federal Investigators... This is what she was put away for, if this is acceptable in society our whole means of government is tossed out.

she commited purjury. so did bill clinton. :rolleyes:

she was convicted of commiting perjury, lieing about a crime that she WAS LATER ACQUITED OF. they didn't press those charges.

it's ********* that martha goes to jail when enron execs are still on the streets

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Yep, I agree with you there...

gwuMACaddict said:
she commited purjury. so did bill clinton. :rolleyes:

she was convicted of commiting perjury, lieing about a crime that she WAS LATER ACQUITED OF. they didn't press those charges.

it's ********* that martha goes to jail when enron execs are still on the streets

Point taken, and I agree fully .. these execs are as guilty and should rot in jail just as she did.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
TBR said:
I don't even know who she is...time to consult the fountain of knowledge.....

...google

Martha Stewart Bio Not very indepth but somewhat up to date.
Another Bio
Google for her BIO

After her IPO for stock MSO she was a billionaire.

Single, divorced, she has was a model and stockbroker when she was younger. People love & love to hate her, she is the homemaking diva of the US. She can make a cake from treebark for all I know.
She was under investigation for insider trading when her friend Sam Wiseman? He supposedly called her to tell her to sell her stock in his company, because the fda was not approving a drug they had in developement. She says she had a standing order to sell at a certain time/point - prosecuters believe she was tipped off. They proved she lied about the coverup, but she was not convicted of insider trading. Ironically the drug I think was approved and the company was/is doing pretty good now.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
RGunner said:

Hey, didn't William Jefferson Clinton also lie to Federal Investigators? Didn't the majority political party in the Senate (at the time) say it's ok? (essentially)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
They definitely went after her... people say that the rich and famous get away with things, and I think that in this case, the prosecutors were out to show that that wasn't going to happen so they went too far in the other direction.

I mean, convicted of lying about a crime that she wasn't convicted of committing in the first place? Sounds like something that the D.A. on "Law and Order" would come up with. :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I think that we are wasting too much time on Martha Stewart. She shouldn't be able to profit on her criminal status. All this is just going to feed on her already very large ego.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Here's what I find disguting. Martha Stewart goes to jail for insider trading while Michael Jackson is on his second go around fo child molestation in which he'll probably get off again. Even though she broke the law she didn't hurt anyone and repectfully served her time. I personally think she's arrogant (on TV)
but that has nothing to do with it. She's just now getting out and already people are all over her.

Let her be.

What'd she ever do to you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.