Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pradeepgj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Ordered my MBA 13" on 6/28. Opted for ship to store. Initially the pickup date was July 10. Order shipped on July 1st. Not the pickup date is July 9. Any one have experience with ship to store? Will I get my mac by this week end?

Cant wait for this baby. My first mac ever.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I am waiting on my MBA but had the shipping changed from the store to my business. This was two days faster. The FedEx shipping says it will be here on Monday but I am betting it will be here Friday from what the tracking shows.

Lucy

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If they have your particular model in store, I believe you can pick it up same day. However if it's a BTO then it seems like it takes about the same amount of time. One thing I did notice (here in Colorado, anyway) is that if you choose ship to store, they charge the tax for where the store is located. By shipping to my house, I save about $80 in tax vs shipping to my closest Apple store.

Also, welcome to the club. I'm sure you and your Mac will be very happy.

Calady

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
San Francisco, CA
In my area they use FedEx for ship to addresses but UPS for ship to store. My ship to store order actually arrived 3 days earlier than the estimate. It ended up about the same but since no one is home to sign the order I'd rather pick it up at the store.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I always order from Apple online since the computers I need are Built To Order (BTO) models that require upgrades the store doesn't carry. Since I'm such a Mac Addict and buy several, I've tried all three options. Delivery to my office at work, or to home, or to my local Mac Store. Living within 10 min of the Apple store works the best for me since I don't have to be there to sign for it like I would at home or the office. Also it's a nice excuse to leave and pick it up at the store.

In addition the priceless advantage in the store is I ask a sales associate to witness me unpacking it. That's paid off handsomely. Two weeks ago I picked up a new MBA. Upon opening the box you could see more than six four inch long, very deep scratches on it's lid. The sales persons eyes went wide in surprise. He called the manager over who asked how I'd dropped it. That's how quick they are to place blame on the customer. When the sales associate said it came out of the box that way, immediately the managers attitude changed.

Four weeks later I took delivery of the replacement which was better. Thus in my case the in store delivery is best.

Time? In my experience there's no difference.

pradeepgj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks for all your input. I guess i will be getting it by Monday or Tuesday. I will definitely open the box right there to check it out.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Ordered my MBA 13" on 6/28. Opted for ship to store. Initially the pickup date was July 10. Order shipped on July 1st. Not the pickup date is July 9. Any one have experience with ship to store? Will I get my mac by this week end? .

No offense, but how could changing the delivery address be quicker?

pradeepgj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
No offense, but how could changing the delivery address be quicker?

None taken.

It can make a difference, and it could be early or late. it all depends on logistics and where it ships from. I dont know if these ship to store orders are shipped separately or along with other consignments shipping to the same store. If its the latter, then it might be slower when compared to ship to home.

at the same time, I had read in this forum, that people have received ship to store items earlier than the given date.

I have always received apple ship to home products in 3-5 days. When compared to that, the ship to store option seems to be delayed, at least to the location I picked.

----------

How long do they hold it for you in store?

I doubt if they ever send it back. Since its already paid for, they will probably hold it for a month or even more. Just speculating.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Ordered my MBA 13" on 6/28. Opted for ship to store. Initially the pickup date was July 10. Order shipped on July 1st. Not the pickup date is July 9. Any one have experience with ship to store? Will I get my mac by this week end?

Does it matter now? Procedure is already in-motion. Even if you know the pilot who's flying in your shipment, he's not going to open the pallet and find your 1 laptop to switch it to more faster route.

The die is cast, the Big Bang is been unleashed. There is nothing to do but to hope nobody drop the dang thing ^)

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
It can make a difference, and it could be early or late. it all depends on logistics and where it ships from. I dont know if these ship to store orders are shipped separately or along with other consignments shipping to the same store. If its the latter, then it might be slower when compared to ship to home.
1. The ONLY thing that changes when you ship to a store is the address on the external label of the box your MBA is in.

2. People receive orders shipped to their homes earlier than Apple estimated.

3. People receive orders shipped to their homes earlier than the carrier estimated.

The only benefits of shipping to a store are you don't have to be home when the carrier delivers it. The downside is you have to go to the store.

So, the answer to your question in the thread subject is; "No, it's not quicker."

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Ship to store is within a day the same speed as ship to home. The advantage of ship to store is you don't have to worry about missing the delivery and having to wait another day for it.

And ship to store is definitely better than having to go to the Fedex or UPS depot to pick up it up. In my case the Apple Store is closer and easier to get to then either depot.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Delivery can vary. For me ship to store arrives 5-7 days early. The real advantage is that I don't have to book off an entire day to be available to sign for the delivery. Early arrival is a nice bonus.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I did a ship to store from a store, and it was never delivered. I called to cancel it about 2 weeks later, and they said it had been sitting at the store for a week, and therefore couldn't be canceled but had to be returned.

Combined with the fact that I was on the other side of the state, it was a terrible experience. I would not do it again.

pradeepgj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Expected according to which delivery estimate, Apple or the carrier?

Apple.

There is no way to know the Carrier estimate or shipping details for ship to store orders. At least, I could not find any.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Apple.

There is no way to know the Carrier estimate or shipping details for ship to store orders. At least, I could not find any.

Apple's estimates almost always err on the side of a longer delivery date, probably to prevent 1,000s of people from calling when their device doesn't appear 'on time', i.e., they forget it's an estimate not a promise.

pradeepgj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Apple's estimates almost always err on the side of a longer delivery date, probably to prevent 1,000s of people from calling when their device doesn't appear 'on time', i.e., they forget it's an estimate not a promise.

Yep. Totally agree. I am sure they add a buffer to each order estimate based on supply and demand.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yea ordered mines on July 2, was suppose to come on July 12, now its July 11.

I wonder if it'll be even earlier.

Edit: Well guess I spoke to soon, got a text from Apple saying it was ready for pick up. Went during lunch to pick it up, using for 3 hours, battery still strong.

Last edited:

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
early

my 2013 11" i5/8/256 bto ship to store came 4 days early. love it!

an upgrade from my 2010 11" 4/128 which had <10gigs left. silent, fast, samsung screen (old lg wasn't bad after calibration but less lcd bleed on the new screen).

bought it with new airport extreme too

pradeepgj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
my 2013 11" i5/8/256 bto ship to store came 4 days early. love it!

an upgrade from my 2010 11" 4/128 which had <10gigs left. silent, fast, samsung screen (old lg wasn't bad after calibration but less lcd bleed on the new screen).

bought it with new airport extreme too

Picked up mine yesterday. Loving the design and sleekness so far. Have n't spent too much time in the OS yet, other than setting it up. I have a steep learning curve, coming from a PC environment for eternity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.