Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccurdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I ordered a MacBook 2.0GHz on monday afternoon after hearing nothing ground shaking from the keynote. Living in Canada, I was told that the taxes would be applied on my end ( I assumed that meant when I received the order). So I left work on tuesday morning to go to the bank to send off the wire transfer.
Wednesday afternoon I get an e-mail saying that I am 300.00 short on the wire transfer and they are waiting for it. I call, they tell me the taxes are to be paid ahead of time. They also tell me I can't pay the difference by credit card. I am unhappy about this, because it delays the order and makes me leave work again, so they give me a 100.00 rebate and tell me so long as they get the payment by friday morning then it will be shipped friday afternoon. So I leave work on wednesday afternoon and send off a second wire transfer.
This afternoon I check the order status and their estimated ship dates are monday for the ipod and tuesday for the macbook. wtf?? :eek: :confused: :mad:
I paid for the fastest available shipping option. Stupid apple. I'm too excited about getting my first mac to be consoled. Two months ago I bought my first laptop, a dell, and the experience was so horrible that I felt the need to switch platforms altogether. All told I have liked my apple experience, but I'm pissed about the delays.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
How long have you been living in Canada? I have never once heard of paying taxes after you receive the item (from anything retail related.) No one does that... it would be awful business sense.

edit: you're lucky that you got a rebate for $100 when it was your mistake

maccurdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
well, I have been living in Canada for all of my 24 and 3/4 lifetime. Taxes are often handled as duty, which are taken care of by the delivery company. Secondly, I was e-mailed the total by the person who sold me the mac over the phone which I was to take to the bank and use for the wire transfer. Which is what I did..

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
azzurri000 said:
How long have you been living in Canada? I have never once heard of paying taxes after you receive the item (from anything retail related.) No one does that... it would be awful business sense.

edit: you're lucky that you got a rebate for $100 when it was your mistake

Agreed!

OP: Pay the tax AFTER getting the item? That sounds simply crazy and I also have NEVER heard of this. I'm amazed that because YOU kinda made a boo boo, Apple offered a $100 rebate to calm you down. That was nice of them and you should consider yourself lucky! Stop whining!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.