Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
The worst part about the thin design is that they can't really go back to a thicker design for better hardware without saying "we messed up".

Phaminh

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
hmm

not bc of long distance shipping, it's all about new lamination process. I think they are not ready for that yet. May be they will have new imac soon this year to substitute the issue

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The worst part about the thin design is that they can't really go back to a thicker design for better hardware without saying "we messed up".

Do you think they'll end up doing this?

That would be quite embarrassing

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I'm already waiting for the next generation to come out. Because the iMacs are still too fat and I believe my life will be vastly improved when the iMac is paper thin. The iMac should float too, I'm sick of the stand.

The stand should be more flexible, like the sunflower model.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

And yet, performance, heating, and engineeering actually all improved in the new design.

Where did they mess up again? :rolleyes:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

They just have to wait for the good hardware to get smaller and cheaper so they don't necessarily have to fatten it back up.

----------

And yet, performance, heating, and engineeering actually all improved in the new design.

Maybe better HDD? I mean, it's okay but it could be better.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

It's pretty hard to defend the placement of the headphone port.

Or the engineering that required the fitting of 5400 rpm drives in the 21 inch. The new design worked well for the 27inch (bar the ports) but caused lots of issues with the 21 inch.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
I wouldn't mind getting one of these

but geez, they are expensive. $1800 for a basic Core i5 with a 27" monitor?

Here at work we supply all our employees with Dell Vostro computers with the same Core i5 CPU that run Win 7 Pro 64 Bit, 16GB RAM, 1 TB harddrive, AMD 7750 Vid card, integrated Wifi, a 28" 1920x1200 HDMI monitor, and a 20" 1600x1200 secondary monitor (employees mostly use it to have Outlook open on it all the time). And they only run about $1050-1100 for the entire package.

I can't figure out why Apple thinks they have to charge so much. Their hardware is average at best. $500 Dell's have the same hardware specs. OS X is no where near that much better than Win 7 64 Bit. It was a good bit ahead of XP and Vista, but Win 7 x64 is a rock solid OS that looks nice and runs excellent. We have 50+ employees and I never get any tech support calls anymore. The OS is just that good.

I just dont see real value in the Apple computer products. They're grossly overpriced for what you get.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Yes they can very easily. They would call it an iMac Pro. They are a lot smarter than your giving the credit for.

lionsandwings

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
How do you go from 3 weeks to 3 days overnight?

I justwas able to pick up a 21.5" iMac at Best Buy, I would have prefered to pruchase from Apple, but since they were quoting 3 weeks I purchased at Best Buy.
You would think they could have a better handle on this type of thing, what, did they get an early shipment of a couple million iMacs that they were expecting in 3 weeks? Did the boat put the bedal to the metal on the way over?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
but geez, they are expensive. $1800 for a basic Core i5 with a 27" monitor?

Here at work we supply all our employees with Dell Vostro computers with the same Core i5 CPU that run Win 7 Pro 64 Bit, 16GB RAM, 1 TB harddrive, AMD 7750 Vid card, integrated Wifi, a 28" 1920x1200 HDMI monitor, and a 20" 1600x1200 secondary monitor (employees mostly use it to have Outlook open on it all the time). And they only run about $1050-1100 for the entire package.

I can't figure out why Apple thinks they have to charge so much. Their hardware is average at best. $500 Dell's have the same hardware specs. OS X is no where near that much better than Win 7 64 Bit. It was a good bit ahead of XP and Vista, but Win 7 x64 is a rock solid OS that looks nice and runs excellent. We have 50+ employees and I never get any tech support calls anymore. The OS is just that good.

I just dont see real value in the Apple computer products. They're grossly overpriced for what you get.

Apple is more expensive then similarly spec competition ....

Please fill us in on more new and never discussed points

elec999

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Yeah, Apple is so stupid to waste their time and energy making iMacs thinner and lighter, it's not useful for a desktop computer! :rolleyes:

This is what makes apple an apple. And I'm sure when the time is right they will make it touch screen

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Again the only thing I did with that was double the RAM and replace a failing HDD.

A computer should work for you, not the other way around.

I find this rather ironic, since the only things you changed are the very 2 things that are now unchangeable (especially in the 21 inch iMac). And that's exactly why many people do not like the new iMac. I don't mind if a computer looks nice or thinner (in fact that's great), but when that comes at the price of losing BASIC upgrading functionality, that's not ok.

Like you said, "A computer should work for you, not the other way around", but if that computer locks me out of basic upgrades (especially the ram, I can mostly get over locking out the HD), then it is I who am working for the computer, because I need to pay Apple silly over-inflated prices for cheap ram.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
The vast majority of customers don't care about upgrading their PC's and haven't done for some time..

Well, this is partly true, but a lot of people who don't initially upgrade their machines will often do so later on, to breathe new life into them. Ram upgrades are by far the best example. And importantly, things like ram upgrades are constantly offered as suggestions to customers coming into the Genius Bar with older computers that are not running so well. Many times the CPU, etc. are still good enough, and a simple and cheap ram upgrade practically gives them a new computer. And believe me, this suggestion from Apple's geniuses themselves happens very very frequently.

But now, this type of simple upgrade is no longer possible. Emphasis on simple. Your analogy of a car is a good one. People don't upgrade most things in their cars. Transmissions, etc. are rarely upgraded. But simple components are. Every car has tires that can be changed. If car manufacturers decided to make tires non-upgradable (for contrived aesthetic reasons (and btw you can still make a thin computer with upgradable ram)) this would only hurt the consumer.

This also needs to be considered in the context that Apple does not have any viable alternative to the imac that IS upgradeable for simple components like ram. Yes there is the mac pro, but that is far too expensive for most people (and is overkill for most people, but some of those people may still want more than 8 gigs of ram...). And yes there is the 27 inch imac, but of course that costs quite a bit more too, and importantly, not everyone needs or has space for the larger display.

All I'm saying is, ram has always been easily upgradable for a reason, and it's an upgrade that many people do indeed perform, wether it's at or near the time of purchase, or later on in the computer's life. And now that option has been removed, and not for any particularly good reason. Apple could have easily made a new 21 inch imac that was still quite thin while retaining ram upgradability.

But they didn't.

Last edited:

b0le

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
Ordered BTo 30 November 2012 and still waiting:mad::mad::mad:
I live in the Netherlands

Holy!!!! 30 November!!! I have ordered a custom configured 27" (i7-3 instead of i5-3, Fusion Drive, 16 GB RAM instead of the default 8 GB) and I've been waiting since 21st December. 3 days ago my Apple reseller finally informs me that the package has finally arrived... To a distribution center in the neighboring country of Hungary, city of Budapest, arghhh (I'm from Slovenia). Additional 3+ days of waiting... :mad: I'm guessing the 1-3 days/3-4 weeks for custom configurations applies only to US customers, maybe UK, while for the rest of the world (at least countries with no official Apple stores) the waiting times are easily 2-3x longer.

b0le

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
$500 Dell's have the same hardware specs.

Well, $500 for an all-in-one PC gets you something along the lines of:

vesa.jpg

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

Thank you. Great post. :)

My thoughts mirror yours. I spend lots of money on furniture etc so my home looks good. Why shouldn't the computer look equally pretty. The new iMac is gorgeous, especially in person. I still have a 24" older shape from 2008 3.06Ghz, 2GB RAM and it's still chugging along on Mountain Lion fine (it's never been upgraded - and likely never will).

I'm not saying a computer should not be upgradeable - but Apple's clearly made a decision. If it doesn't fit your use case, then there are so many alternatives. For me personally, it's great.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
All I'm saying is, ram has always been easily upgradable for a reason, and it's an upgrade that many people do indeed perform, wether it's at or near the time of purchase, or later on in the computer's life. And now that option has been removed, and not for any particularly good reason. Apple could have easily made a new 21 inch imac that was still quite thin while retaining ram upgradability.

But they didn't.

What reason? I program, do light photo work, manage multiple mobile devices, stream HD video, maintain a music library, browse the web etc all from my 2008 2.06GHz, 2GB RAM iMac. It's never been upgraded, bar the OS. And will never be. When it dies I'll buy a new computer (likely the new iMac).

Unless you have facts, I think you're trying to paint your preferences on 'many people' incorrectly. I'm sure you need to upgrade your parts. But unless you can prove otherwise, it appears to be an incorrect statement when referring to the wider market. You only have to look at PC growth vs Mac growth over the last 6 or so years to see that Macs are selling fine - and are not upgradeable.

My computing history - and remember I am not exactly a normal customer, I like tech, I visit tech forums etc...

1996 my first windows PC - 16 or 32MB RAM - didn't upgrade
2000 first windows laptop - think 128MB RAM - didn't upgrade
2005 built my own PC - 1GB RAM - didn't upgrade
2008 iMac - 2GB - haven't upgraded

I know of some friends who have upgraded RAM, but it's a tiny percentage compared to those that have never upgraded...

I agree that there is a segment of the market who do need the ability to upgrade - but Apple isn't targeting them with the iMac.

Bottom line if you need a computer that is upgradeable - then the iMac is not for you. On the plus side there are many non-Apple alternatives.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles

I can only speak for myself, but if they hadn't gotten rid of the superdrive and had to put the card reader in the only place its damn near impossible to get at without rear access to your computer, I'd own a new one today. I'd argue on an all-in-one, those are both compromises in design to get it in a thin box. I was expecting the new Imac to be able to do more, not less. I thought they would have had either a solid state drive in base model 27s, a faster burner or maybe even (shock!) a blu-ray burner. So for me, thats a design compromise, and only acceptable with a reduction in price. I get less for my money with the new model, so I chose to keep my i7 2.93 a year or two longer. Not a big sacrifice there, to be sure. Mine does everything I could possibly want, short of USB3. If they had made a real strong increase in performance or at least had thrown in an external superdrive for free for any customer that asked, (like what the did with wired keyboards at Apple stores when I bought my Imac) I'd probably have pulled the trigger.

Instead of wasting valuable R&D time and money on form over function, I wish they would have left the box alone (like Mac Pros) and made it maybe 40% more powerful. Wouldn't most of us rather have had that instead? Can you honestly say you prefer the skinny box instead of a bigger performance bump?

No doubt I'm in the minority, however. I don't buy desktops because of what they look like.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I find this rather ironic, since the only things you changed are the very 2 things that are now unchangeable (especially in the 21 inch iMac). And that's exactly why many people do not like the new iMac. I don't mind if a computer looks nice or thinner (in fact that's great), but when that comes at the price of losing BASIC upgrading functionality, that's not ok.

Like you said, "A computer should work for you, not the other way around", but if that computer locks me out of basic upgrades (especially the ram, I can mostly get over locking out the HD), then it is I who am working for the computer, because I need to pay Apple silly over-inflated prices for cheap ram.

I have a 27" and have already maxed the RAM, so unless that fails I'm safe. As for the HDD well I have Apple care and a good backup plan, so worse case someone comes to my place and replaces the HDD, if it fails. Yes a little known claws in the AppleCare allows you to request someone comes to you place to fix it!

The only other thing I replaced on the G5 tower was the DVD, which is no longer an issue, if I get one and it fails no problems in replacing it.

My point is even with the towers most users would never even consider opening them, you'd rely on warranties and other to do the work, no matter how easy it is.

tormar.ca01

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
Shipping companies in canada

Hello,

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your opinion.Thanks for making such a nice topic here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.