Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
Is there a way to click on an item, press a few keys and have it compose a message including that item as an attachment?

I feel like every time I make a zip file, that would come in really really handy.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
no, that's as many steps as attaching it through the compose menu.

I'd like to do with with some keystrokes.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Why don't you just drag it onto the Mail dock icon?

You can make an Automator action and save it to the contextual menu as well, then it's just control-click and select the action from the Automator menu item.

But dragging is the easiest way.

Tel

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
England
Automator would be your best bet. Create a workflow that will get the specified Finder item(s) and attach them to a new email, then save it as a Finder plugin. Every time you want to send it, just right click the file(s), go to the Automator context menu and choose your action. You can have it send the email for you without having to even look at Mail.

If its the first time you've used Automator then it might take some trail and error to get it right but now would be a great time to start using it. I avoided it for quite some time thinking I had no use for it but now it does practically everything for me and I've only been using it for a week.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
fowler. said:
no, that's as many steps as attaching it through the compose menu.

I'd like to do with with some keystrokes.
You can add a keyboard shortcut for it in the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane, and then it's a single keystroke combination once you're restarted the Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.