Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Is there a way to create a Shortcut to turn off device (iPad Pro) after x amount of idle time? I do mean turn off completely and not just turn off the screen. I haven't found a way and guess this isn't possible.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I don't think that's possible.
Seems to be available on the iPhone 15 Pro but not on the iPad mini 6. Not sure why. On the iPhone it still puts up an are you sure dialog.

Edit: Search for Shut Down (mind the space).

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Seems to be available on the iPhone 15 Pro but not on the iPad mini 6. Not sure why. On the iPhone it still puts up an are you sure dialog.

Edit: Search for Shut Down (mind the space).
I see Shut Down, but I don’t see how to get the device to detect idle time.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I see Shut Down, but I don’t see how to get the device to detect idle time.
I think you need a third party app for that. I can do it on a Mac because I can run a shell script but that isn't going to work on an iPad.

Sorry, no idea how to search for an app that gives you a shortcut for idle time.

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
I think you need a third party app for that. I can do it on a Mac because I can run a shell script but that isn't going to work on an iPad.

Sorry, no idea how to search for an app that gives you a shortcut for idle time.
Thanks for looking!

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Yeah, my basic idea behind all of this is that my iPad sometimes doesn't get used for days and in that case even putting it in lower power mode will deplete the battery. I'd love a function where after, say, 24 hours of idle time the iPad will automatically shut down to preserve battery life.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Yeah, my basic idea behind all of this is that my iPad sometimes doesn't get used for days and in that case even putting it in lower power mode will deplete the battery. I'd love a function where after, say, 24 hours of idle time the iPad will automatically shut down to preserve battery life.
Sounds very useful. Maybe suggest it to Apple. I have no idea how successful such suggestions are though.

Product Feedback

Reactions: msackey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.