Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EliteF50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
I was thinking that Apple should create a "Budget iMac" for the average consumer who doesn't need all the power the 21.5" base iMac offers, but wants an All-In-One for tidiness. I think if Apple were to release a machine like in the picture below for $799 USD, $849 CAD, they'd sell a lot more Macs.

BudgetMac-1.jpg

What do you think?

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
you spelled "duo" wrong but other than that its a good idea. I know that apple still makes the white 17" iMac but that's only for education.

TheHumphries

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
I don't foresee that happening. At that point, it would be better for the consumer to just purchase a macmini. Spend less and use the existing monitor they have.

That price point wouldn't be profitable for Apple at all. They would have to redesign everything. Have to get another model manufactured (cost them more money), marketed, and stocked and distributed.

I understand what you are say and that WOULD be nice, but giving too many options can hurt a company more than help. Plus the existing iMac for $1200 USD is a great system at a very nice price point.

EliteF50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
I know what you mean, but Apple needs to offer cheaper displays or something. At least add a mouse and keyboard to the Mac Mini. For $650, people can get a much better PC.

I'm not sure why the Mac Mini costs so much.

you spelled "duo" wrong but other than that its a good idea. I know that apple still makes the white 17" iMac but that's only for education.

Fixed.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Apple has to be careful not to hurt the more expensive lines too. Personally, I don't mind that Macs start at around $1,000, besides the Mini. The Mini is there for the low end.

Otherwise, let the Mac keep its status.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I know what you mean, but Apple needs to offer cheaper displays or something. At least add a mouse and keyboard to the Mac Mini. For $650, people can get a much better PC.

I'm not sure why the Mac Mini costs so much.

It's pretty, made out of aluminum, and its tiny. It's also got an Apple logo on it.

That's like asking why the BMW 3 series is so expensive. Pretty unremarkable cars, but PRICEY.

EliteF50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
It's pretty, made out of aluminum, and its tiny. It's also got an Apple logo on it.

That's like asking why the BMW 3 series is so expensive. Pretty unremarkable cars, but PRICEY.

Consumers aren't idiots, they know when something is worth the money. The least Apple could do is include a wireless keyboard/mouse in the Mac Mini.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Consumers aren't idiots, they know when something is worth the money. The least Apple could do is include a wireless keyboard/mouse in the Mac Mini.

Some of the most successful businessmen in the history of the world would disagree with you entirely.

...and Apple's sales figures would as well.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
No. Apple is as much about good hardware and software as it is about having good products.

Let Acer and Dell deal with the little people.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
For $650, people can get a much better PC.

No, they can't...although they might think they can. Regardless, Apple obviously doesn't care about courting folks who think they can get a much better PC for the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.