Should i avoid seagate in the new 21.5 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sortvind, Dec 28, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    After browsing threads i came over a thread, actually several, of clicking sounds and issues with the seagate HD in the new imac, and that the Hitachi was quieter and a better option.

Can anyone confirm this, and is there actually a option to choose brand or simply stick with what you get?

not ordered yet, so curious :)
    i want my first Mac experience to be smooth.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 25, 2010
    New Jersey
    I have the Hitachi model in my iMac (or whatever it is now that Western Digital purchased their hard disk division). I haven't heard it at all yet. I can barely determine whether the sound I hear from my iMac is the fan or the hdd. Eitherway, whatever the sound is, it is very faint. I have yet to hear any intensive disk noises.

I do have Fusion, but I have nearly 130gb currently on my machine, so a good 10gb at least has spilled over to the HDD. I am working on getting more and more on to the machine to really see how well Fusion works.
  3. macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2012
    How would u be able to avoid it? would u just have to keep returning it until u get a different model?
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    if you read the topic again i point out if there actually is a option to choose :)
  5. macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2012
    Haha okay did not think it was possible to chose :D
  6. macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2009
    It isn't.
  7. macrumors 603

Feb 20, 2009
    You can't "choose".

You get what you get.

The noises are inconsequential, so long as the drive runs properly.

Have you ever sat next to a PowerMac g4 tower for any length of time?