should I buy an imac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noelmac75, Feb 18, 2003.

1. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    Iam considering buying one of the new 1Ghz imacs, whats the performnance like for photoshop/games etc.. How quiet are they?
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Re: should I buy an imac?

They are very quiet.

As for photoshop, what are you doing in it with what size images? I find an 800MHz G4 is pretty good for Photoshop, except when I start playing with larger images.

If you have an Apple Store near you, put a couple of images on a CD-R/RW and take it in. They'll let you play with your images on the machine. Or you can play with the sample images their machines have.

As for games, I don't play many, but I suspect that the 1GHz iMac will meet more than the minimum requirements for pretty much any Mac game. The question is for games that do variable frame rates, how many frames per second do you really want/need?

You will want to get 512MB-1 DIMM at the least since you can't touch the internal memory slot. You can get the other 512MB now or later as your needs and funds dictate.
  3. Swinny macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've had my 1GHz iMac for just 2 days now and all I can say is that it rocks!

I was running Photoshop, Director MX, Flash MX, Word, Safari, Yahoo IM and iTunes all at the same and there was practically no noticable slow-down when switching between them...even on the stock 256mb RAM...I have 512mb in the post, and have just read on the Apple website that the SO-Dimm is user if needed I'll bump that to 512mb at some point too...though I think 768 will be enough for what I do.

Not sure how big your photoshop images are, but I was opening up 30mb TIFF photos without any worries.

I can't say what they are like for Games performance, certainly I had a little play of Otto Matic and it didn't seem to have any troubles...i have a GameCube for games playing though, so not really sure how to judge such things on a Mac.
  4. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    Re: Re: should I buy an imac?

So if i was to put 256 in now, that would be a waste

thanks for the help.