Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noelmac75

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
UK
Iam considering buying one of the new 1Ghz imacs, whats the performnance like for photoshop/games etc.. How quiet are they?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: should I buy an imac?

Originally posted by noelmac75
Iam considering buying one of the new 1Ghz imacs, whats the performnance like for photoshop/games etc.. How quiet are they?
They are very quiet.

As for photoshop, what are you doing in it with what size images? I find an 800MHz G4 is pretty good for Photoshop, except when I start playing with larger images.

If you have an Apple Store near you, put a couple of images on a CD-R/RW and take it in. They'll let you play with your images on the machine. Or you can play with the sample images their machines have.

As for games, I don't play many, but I suspect that the 1GHz iMac will meet more than the minimum requirements for pretty much any Mac game. The question is for games that do variable frame rates, how many frames per second do you really want/need?

You will want to get 512MB-1 DIMM at the least since you can't touch the internal memory slot. You can get the other 512MB now or later as your needs and funds dictate.

Swinny

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2002
Oxford, UK
I've had my 1GHz iMac for just 2 days now and all I can say is that it rocks!

I was running Photoshop, Director MX, Flash MX, Word, Safari, Yahoo IM and iTunes all at the same and there was practically no noticable slow-down when switching between them...even on the stock 256mb RAM...I have 512mb in the post, and have just read on the Apple website that the SO-Dimm is user accesible...so if needed I'll bump that to 512mb at some point too...though I think 768 will be enough for what I do.

Not sure how big your photoshop images are, but I was opening up 30mb TIFF photos without any worries.

I can't say what they are like for Games performance, certainly I had a little play of Otto Matic and it didn't seem to have any troubles...i have a GameCube for games playing though, so not really sure how to judge such things on a Mac.

noelmac75

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
UK
Re: Re: should I buy an imac?

Originally posted by Bear
They are very quiet.

As for photoshop, what are you doing in it with what size images? I find an 800MHz G4 is pretty good for Photoshop, except when I start playing with larger images.

The size of my images for photo manipulation would range between 15-30mb, sometimes i design posters that can go up to 80-100mb though. But i wouldnt apply many filters and stuff like that.

If you have an Apple Store near you, put a couple of images on a CD-R/RW and take it in. They'll let you play with your images on the machine. Or you can play with the sample images their machines have.

No apple store near me, iam from ireland, the only local one is at a pc store. But there might not be one on display, i played around with one in london a couple of times though. and i liked it.

As for games, I don't play many, but I suspect that the 1GHz iMac will meet more than the minimum requirements for pretty much any Mac game. The question is for games that do variable frame rates, how many frames per second do you really want/need?

Most of the games i would play just require 16 or 32mb of video ram, dont need the frame rates to be that high, do they higher the frame rates mean the smoother the games will be.

You will want to get 512MB-1 DIMM at the least since you can't touch the internal memory slot. You can get the other 512MB now or later as your needs and funds dictate.

So if i was to put 256 in now, that would be a waste

thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.