Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone should I buy?

• iPhone 12

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • They’re both too old, buy an iPhone 13 or newer

Votes: 22 52.4%

• Total voters

pappkristof

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2015
Hi!
Currently I have an iPhone X that perfectly fits my needs, but the latest iOS won’t support it so I’m considering upgrading to a newer device. I could afford a brand new one but I just don’t feel that I could use of the power/features. I’m deciding between a 12 or a 11 Pro. Which one do you recommend?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Unless you bought your X after 2019 and you’re only keeping your phones for 4 years, “Newer” would make the most sense. Otherwise you’ll be right back in the same boat (won’t update to the latest iOS) even sooner.

RachT123

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2023
The 11 Pro is definitely too old at this point - I’m guessing it’ll only get 2 (maybe 3) more years of iOS support.

Since you don’t seem to upgrade your phone often, I’d go with a 13 or newer.

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
So if you don't the pro features why don't get a normal iPhone 14 or 14 Plus then? They are much better than your X and will have everything you need.

And if you can wait until September by a brand new iPhone 15 (Plus) so you probably won't even have the notch anymore and dynamic island.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey Op, newer would be the logic answer if we don't take into account your budget. So first of all, if you can wait two more months and get an iPhone 14 for a cheaper price, I think that would be a master move. Some people will tell you that everything on the iPhone 14 is the same as the 13, from the screen to the CPU, but they aren't taking into account the extra 2GB of RAM the iPhone 14 has, and if you want to future-proof your purchase, my guess is that a phone with 6GB of RAM will hold much better than one with 4GB. Maybe not now, but it will start to become noticeable in the future, and the 14 will probably get longer iOS support than the 13 despite sharing the same A15 SoC.

At the same time, on September, the iPhone 13 price will drop, probably to the current price of the iPhone 12, so if your budget is tight, that could be a good option as well. The iPhone 12 will probably get discontinued in two months. Also the A15 devices have better battery life, especially if you turn on the low battery mode often, and the A15 chip will probably be one of the best supported by Apple and developers, because there are a ton of devices using it: the latest Apple TV, the new iPad mini, the iPhone 13, 13 Pro and the iPhone 14…

Those would be my two first options, if I were you. Wait until September and get either the 14 or the 13 depending on how much you're willing to spend.

However, let's say that you cannot wait until September, or you have seen the iPhone 11Pro and the 12 at a very discounted price and your budget is really tight. The iPhone 12 could be a good purchase if the price is very good (that’s why I selected it), however, keep in mind that the iPhone 13 lineup starts at 128GB of storage, and the iPhone 12 starts at 64GB, a storage that nowadays or in the near future can become too small.

Definitely don’t buy the iPhone 11 Pro new, especially if you want your new device to have many years of iOS support and you want to enjoy the latest features based on the Neural Engine. The A13 is a great SoC mind you, but it is the least power efficient of the 3 we’re talking here, and it has half the cores on the Neural Engine than the A14 (iPhone 12) or the A15 (iPhone 13 and 14).

I hope this explanation is useful for you and everyone else wondering what iPhone to buy! If you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Hi!
Currently I have an iPhone X that perfectly fits my needs, but the latest iOS won’t support it so I’m considering upgrading to a newer device. I could afford a brand new one but I just don’t feel that I could use of the power/features. I’m deciding between a 12 or a 11 Pro. Which one do you recommend?
I would say go for a 13, its an upgrade over the 12 when it comes to battery performance and some additional features.
That way you buy yourself a few more years in terms of updates from Apple.

But, if you are happy with your X and the battery is fine you could consider hanging on to it, the devices currently not supporting iOS 16 does still get updates. I can imagine Apple will do the same thing to devices that can't be upgraded beyond iOS 16 for at least a year.
Plus, you have rapid resonse updates with iOS 16 which is something I can imagine Apple will continue to support.

Reactions: pappkristof

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Both the iPhone 11 and 12 work perfectly on iOS 16 with no noticeable differences between them and newer phones.

I vote for an iPhone 13 or newer though as you’ll want a full 4-5 years of support going forward if you prefer to keep your phone rather than updating every 1-2 years.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Even if the phone is supported by new iOS versions you get less and less features. iPhone 11 doesn't even get improved autocorrect.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
If the 12 is within your budget, I would go with that, as it’ll have more years to get software updates, and if your wireless provider have 5G, you’ll be able to take advantage of that. Also Apple used the Intel modem with the 11 which a lot of people had issues with when it came to their service. The 12 series added the Qualcomm modem back.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I say get your self a iPhone 13 since the iPhone 13 and 14 have the same chip in fact I this got a iPhone 13 my self coming from a iPhone SE Nic screen size upgrade same A15 chip and more modern UI then that the iPhone SE has

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I'd say the older models are still useful if the price is right. I mean REALLY right. And you have to be a basic user as the newer models are much faster and overall more capable, so be prepared for compromises with an 11.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I'd say the older models are still useful if the price is right. I mean REALLY right. And you have to be a basic user as the newer models are much faster and overall more capable, so be prepared for compromises with an 11.
And iPhone 11 may be next after iPhone 10 XS and X-RAY models to not get the latest updates so consider that has well

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Even before iOS 17 dropped the A11 phones, my recommendations were as follows depending on budget.
  • Absolute minimum: iPhone XS - Many iOS features require A12 or later, but watch out for battery health/factor in the cost of battery replacement. Will likely loose support in 1-2 years
  • Recommended minimum: iPhone 12 range - whole range went OLED for better screen:size ratio, 5G connectivity, Magsafe accessory compatible, last generation with large CPU speed increase. Again, battery health may be low
  • Reccommended if you need it now: iPhone 13/14 range - personal trade off on cost/support - both phones perform similarly now, but 14 will likely get an extra year of support

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Get an iPhone 12 256GB minimum, you should be well covered.
The A14 chip is 5nm is based on the same process as A15 and A16 are built on.
You should be able to enjoy updates for some years to come and also the power and efficiency of the 14 chip.

If you can, try get iPhone 13, mostly for the much improved battery life.

The 11 Pro is a great device but it has no 5G, has the old Intel modems and is aging with the older 7nm A13 chip.

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Wouldn’t buy 11 or 12 now new, but maybe consider if a good 2nd hand price. If buying 13 I’d go for an apple refurbished version to save a bit.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
The 12 has the A14 Chip which is used in the iPad 10 that was released a few months ago. You should expect at least 3 more years of updates. The one downside is that the 12 doesn’t have the best battery life, even when it was new. Subsequent models were thicker to include a bigger battery. If you could find a deal on a 13 I would go for it for the battery life alone.

RRC

macrumors 65832
Nov 3, 2020
As suggested, if you’re planning to keep it long term which you likely are if your current device is an iPhone X then try to get an iPhone 13.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I have seriously contemplated a similar alternative; therefore, interested in these comments/responses. For peace/ease of mind, Apple refurbished has been my primary consideration. Currently, that choice would be an iPhone 12 Pro (Max) — that is, if I don’t take the plunge on an iPhone 15 Pro (Max) or try to wait for a refurbished iPhone 15 Pro (Max).

The price/cost difference/savings, at the moment, is ~$350 - 400 vs. an equivalent tier iPhone 14 model. That’s not bad. The question: is it enough?

Another, somewhat less attractive, option for me is an outlet such as Back Market, where (currently) I could get an iPhone 13 Pro for about the same price as Apple offers a 12 Pro Max:

I’ve had one of one satisfactory experiences. So, I would be willing to try again.

Some people will tell you that everything on the iPhone 14 is the same as the 13, from the screen to the CPU, but they aren't taking into account the extra 2GB of RAM the iPhone 14 has, and if you want to future-proof your purchase, my guess is that a phone with 6GB of RAM will hold much better than one with 4GB. Maybe not now, but it will start to become noticeable in the future, and the 14 will probably get longer iOS support than the 13 despite sharing the same A15 SoC.
This is why I would prefer to wait until the M1 reaches the iPhone Pro (Max). It's also one reason why I recently decided to splurge on a (semi-)modern iPad Pro rather than seemingly settle on a ‘regular/standard/budget’ iPad — which seems truly gimped this time, especially with the massive price hike.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
This is why I would prefer to wait until the M1 reaches the iPhone Pro (Max). It's also one reason why I recently decided to splurge on a (semi-)modern iPad Pro rather than seemingly settle on a ‘regular/standard/budget’ iPad — which seems truly gimped this time, especially with the massive price hike.
What? I guess you’re referring to the A14, which is the phone equivalent SoC of the computer/tablet M1. There’s no way Apple will put a computer processor inside a small enclosure such a smartphone, the power consumption and heat generation make it non possible. Sorry to break it down.

There’s a reason Apple is working hard on designing powerful and higher efficient A17 & A18 instead of slamming an M2 inside a phone.

Reactions: 17fox

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
What? I guess you’re referring to the A14, which is the phone equivalent SoC of the computer/tablet M1. There’s no way Apple will put a computer processor inside a small enclosure such a smartphone, the power consumption and heat generation make it non possible. Sorry to break it down.
Maybe not the M1 specifically but, I think, Apple could/will eventually trickle down that class/tier of SOC to the iPhone.
There’s a reason Apple is working hard on designing powerful and higher efficient A17 & A18 instead of slamming an M2 inside a phone.
Vision Pro. It has active cooling but also a seemingly more challenging cooling situation. Furthermore, my M1 iPad Pro has yet to feel any warmer/hotter while under load than while idle/sleep, demonstrating there is headroom for a lesser/smaller cooling solution/system.

I am not saying it’s absolute, just very possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.