Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Thank you for the helpful remark.

Sorry I was in an impish mode.

But it was the first thing that occurred to me. I could see that more than the computer's defects.

There was something to read between the lines regarding the over OCD of the situation. It was subtle, but it was there: If you think my reply was a bit ridiculous, you might see how some might see your thoughts on your machine's minor issues.

Thank you for not going off on me though!

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
1st Step:
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

in Terminal...it should give you a number...eg. LP133WP1-TJA3 (All LP's are LG screens and all LS are Samsung screens) - keep a copy of that number for future reference purposes.

Step 2. You must visit Apple Store for change, and as you have a samsung display you should ask them to take note that your original laptop came with a Samsung Display and that they should try to ensure its the same when you get your replacement. As LG has an inferior display to the Samsung, most likely it is the simple biggest reason why people have returned it for Apple to convert to "refurbished". Even when the genius is returning you the new laptop, you can just check the display/lcd model number using terminal infront of him and incase its LG - tell him to change the screen so that its a Samsung one, show him your previous model number if he starts talking bs.

I personally would not accept these issues - you have paid a hefty price $$ for your machine - it better be perfect or as close to it as possible.

Last edited:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
There is also a small nick in the metal on the bottom of the machine. The most annoying thing, I think, is that rubber piece around the screen that seems to have been cut. There is a little shaving that can be moved with a finger.

Also, when you lightly press on the hinge, it moves in and out and doesn't look quite level.

Clearly, these things bother me, but I was lucky to get a Samsung display on this model, and also don't feel like going through the hassle of getting another one (I've been waiting for quite a while), but I guess I might.

Thoughts?
Parsing through your post, there are 3 'defects'.
  1. Nick in the rubber 'string' around the lid.
  2. Nick in the metal on the bottom.
  3. Hinge doesn't 'look quite level'.

Everything else is fine and you even got a Samsung display.

While it is stating the obvious;

1. You will never get a perfect MBA
  2. You may trade 3 minor 'defects' for worse ones.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
absolutely yes, return it and get another one. Too many people let Apple slide these damaged and inferior products out the door. Don't be one of them. You drank the Kool-Aid and paid top dollar for it, at a minimum it should taste good.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Alright, I should start by saying thank you for all of the replies. I forgot to mention that I suffer from pretty serious OCD, but not usually with imperfections in technology like this.

I realize how silly it seems, and it is, and I've decided to keep it and forget about it. :eek:

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Alright, I should start by saying thank you for all of the replies. I forgot to mention that I suffer from pretty serious OCD, but not usually with imperfections in technology like this.

I realize how silly it seems, and it is, and I've decided to keep it and forget
about it. :eek:

I have huge OCD issues too and that is exactly why I am asking you to go to the apple store and show them these defects. I would have definitely returned it.

funkiejack

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Exactly - would you just drive away in a brand new car with deep scratches on the hood and the roof, and a door that doesn't shut tightly compared to the other 3 doors? Don't let Apple get away with this. If I paid for a refurb machine, then I'd be more inclined to accept these defects.

I'm swapping mine tomorrow - mine also has the random sleep/black screen issue along with all 3 of ur defects.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Exactly - would you just drive away in a brand new car with deep scratches on the hood and the roof, and a door that doesn't shut tightly compared to the other 3 doors? Don't let Apple get away with this. If I paid for a refurb machine, then I'd be more inclined to accept these defects.

I'm swapping mine tomorrow - mine also has the random sleep/black screen issue along with all 3 of ur defects.

That's a pretty bad analogy. The smaller something gets, the harder it is to make sure it comes out of machinery in perfect cosmetic condition. The harder it gets, the more expensive it gets. Unless you want to pay much, much more for a laptop that is essentially handmade at each step, you shouldn't expect absolute perfection.

Some posters' OCD regarding minor cosmetic issues drives up prices for everyone else. Each time they make a return, they make it more expensive to buy Apple products. Such price increases are minuscule, but in terms of principle (like voting) it is pretty lame, yo.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
That's a pretty bad analogy. The smaller something gets, the harder it is to make sure it comes out of machinery in perfect cosmetic condition. The harder it gets, the more expensive it gets. Unless you want to pay much, much more for a laptop that is essentially handmade at each step, you shouldn't expect absolute perfection.

Some posters' OCD regarding minor cosmetic issues drives up prices for everyone else. Each time they make a return, they make it more expensive to buy Apple products. Such price increases are minuscule, but in terms of principle (like voting) it is pretty lame, yo.

1,500 bucks is no small money for a laptop in 2013. Apple are known as premium products, and it should come out of the box in premium condition.

But hey, I wish more of my customers thought like you. That way, when we export our finished goods, we'd put as much B-Grades as we can.

No, seriously, when you plan a production-line and sync it with marketing costs, generate an overall cost - faulty produced goods (grades B and C) are already factored into the pricing scheme.

There is no factory that will produce 100% Grade A goods. But everything WILL be sold, or re-used in a way or another.

We're just an insect compared to Apple. I'm certain they know damn well what they are doing. Don't worry about them :p

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
There's a difference between demanding quality goods and demanding perfect goods. 1mm-large scratches on non-obvious areas are to be expected from even the finest mass-production facilities. I wasn't making an argument in terms of size of payment, I was making an argument from the simple fact of engineering.

And yes, the less perfect goods are already worked into the price scheme. But that's only because Apple expects some people to be dissatisfied and return theirs. If those returns and refurbishments never happened, overhead would be lower, and typically the reduction in overhead would be passed onto the consumer in the form of lower prices. And to create laptops of the quality these OCD people want, Apple would have to drastically increase the price of production or cut its profit margins to the level of Dell's (which would in turn tank it's stock and tarnish it's brand name, which would reduce it's R&D budget to nil, etc.)

I'm not worried about Apple, I'd just rather have lower prices for the products I buy. And these return-happy people aren't helping. I'd understand returning for a Samsung screen or due to any hardware issues. But the kind of cosmetic issues that are coming up on this forum (apart from serious dents) are ridiculous.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I can't wait for these 'defective' MBAs to appear in Apple's Refurb store. :D

CycloneRcr

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
The Waterfront
1,500 bucks is no small money for a laptop in 2013. Apple are known as premium products, and it should come out of the box in premium condition.

But hey, I wish more of my customers thought like you. That way, when we export our finished goods, we'd put as much B-Grades as we can.

No, seriously, when you plan a production-line and sync it with marketing costs, generate an overall cost - faulty produced goods (grades B and C) are already factored into the pricing scheme.

There is no factory that will produce 100% Grade A goods. But everything WILL be sold, or re-used in a way or another.

We're just an insect compared to Apple. I'm certain they know damn well what they are doing. Don't worry about them :p

Obviously some people here are ready to buy and accept whatever junk Apple throws at them, as long as prices keep decreasing even at marginal rates!

CycloneRcr

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
The Waterfront
I'm not worried about Apple, I'd just rather have lower prices for the products I buy. And these return-happy people aren't helping. I'd understand returning for a Samsung screen or due to any hardware issues. But the kind of cosmetic issues that are coming up on this forum (apart from serious dents) are ridiculous.

What a self-contradicting argument! It's okay to return a properly working LG screen but visible scratches and nicks on a laptop (that comes in a sealed and padded box) are ridiculous reasons for a complaint :)

An LG screen is also a choice by Apple similar to having a lower level of QC in the assembly line. Eventually by returning non-Samsung screens and forcing Apple to depend more on a single supplier, you are not doing anything different than returning a product for cosmetic issues. If one scenario is driving prices up then the other does as well!

Last edited:

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
What a self-contradicting argument! It's okay to return a properly working LG screen but visible scratches and nicks on a laptop (that comes in a sealed and padded box) are ridiculous reasons for a complaint :)

An LG screen is also a choice by Apple similar to having a lower level of QC in the assembly line. Eventually by returning non-Samsung screens and forcing Apple to depend more on a single supplier, you are not doing anything different than returning a product for cosmetic issues. If one scenario is driving prices up then the other does as well!

Again, from an engineering standpoint, tiny scratches are generally unavoidable when mass producing items at this price (fast-moving machinery will sometimes result in scratches, as will using overworked employees), while using substandard screens in some laptops is avoidable. So no, it isn't self-contradicting.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Obviously some people here are ready to buy and accept whatever junk Apple throws at them, as long as prices keep decreasing even at marginal rates!

Obviously, some people have their own, unrealistic and incorrect definition of 'junk'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.