Should I get an iMac... now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hookflash, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Hookflash macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    #1
    I'm thinking of a getting a 20 inch iMac (switching from PC), but I noticed the MacRumors buyer's guide says iMacs are due for a refresh pretty soon.

    My first question is: What sorts of improvements is the refresh likely to bring, and are they worth waiting for? I'm mostly interested in doing some sound & video editing, watching DVDs, word-processing, surfing the internet, etc. Gaming isn't really my thing, so if all we're likely to see is a new GPU (7600gs, maybe?) or something along those lines, I'll probably just bite the bullet and order an iMac now.

    And my second question: Does the CPU in the 20 inch iMac run hot? I just spent a few hours "researching" (i.e., staggering ineptly through hundreds of Google results;) ) Core 2 Duo temps in general, and it seems that anything much higher than 60C is going to shorten the lifespan of your CPU. Do iMacs run cooler than 60C? I plan on doing video conversion and the like, so I expect my iMac to be under load quite often.

    Third question: How do you guys deal with dust build-up in your iMacs? The good thing about having a regular PC is that you can just open the case and blow the problem-areas with compressed air. Seems like this wouldn't be an option with an iMac, so my concern is that it'll run hotter and hotter over time as dust builds up and blocks the vents.

    Fourth (and final) question: Will it be possible for me to upgrade the optical drive down the road (e.g., when slot-loading Blu-ray/HD-DVD drives become cheaply available)?

    TIA for answering my questions. :)
     
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #3
    Patience is a virtue when dealing with tech, also someone posted here they saw colored iMacs at a factory or something so who knows whats coming. iWoots advice is best.
     
  3. generationxwing macrumors 6502

    generationxwing

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2005
    Location:
    Calgary
    #4
    I'm waiting until Leopard is released. That way I'll have the newest OS X and, I'm guessing, there will probably be a bit of a hardware boost.
     
  4. BobP63 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    #5
    There’s always something just around the corner; if you need it buy it.
     
  5. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

    macjonny1

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    #6
    Please get it now. Because, if you do, then leopard and an update will happen tomorrow, and I can order mine then.
     
  6. MacNtoss macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2007
    #7
    iMacs are awesome but if I were you I'd wait, Leopard is just around the corner. :)
     
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #8
    Santa Rosa/Crestline is just around the corner also -- the OS is something that you can upgrade anytime, the hardware is a little more trouble.
     
  8. Hookflash thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    #9
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. Now to make a decision...
     
  9. brandon6684 Guest

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2002
    #10
    Normally I'd usally say go ahead a buy now since you'll evenually end up at least a generation behind anyway, but I'd have to go what others have said and wait for Leopard since it is much more of an update than waiting for a speed bump.
     
  10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #11
    i'd wait more for leopard than any hardware updates. i'm pretty pleased with the hardware specs of the imac and laptop lines. if you don't mind shelling out additional money for leopard later on, then why not buy now?
     
  11. eddiel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2007
    #12
    Actually I would rather wait for hardware updates rather than software but that's because i have that I need the bigger and the best I can get bug :)

    As for the next update I don;t mind if the design doesn't change much since I quite like it. I;m more interested in the hardware specs being raised.

    Anyway, I am holding off on getting an iMac for now. I was going to buy one in jan but realistically with work and holiday time coming up I would have had it sitting there at least until the end of Feb before I even got it out of the box. Realising that I figured I might as well wait.

    On the other hand if I had the time I would have gotten one in jan. Although waiting is good nothing seems to be on the horizon for a while and they are great machines.

    I was going to get the 24" version.

    Eddie
     
  12. shikimo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lyon, France
    #13
    The thing is, Apple's refresh/update cycle is in a weird place right now. I can't remember another time when so many hardware items were just about ready for new life but not quite outdated all at the same time. This makes it really hard to make decisions like the OP's...if it weren't for the imminent release of Leopard I'd say buy when you have the money and when you want the machine, mainly because no one has much of a clue as to the order or timing of the myriad updates we will undoubtedly see in the coming months. But there is this Leopard crouched in the bushes, and I'm waiting til it shows itself. :cool:
     
  13. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    #14
    need or want?

    If you need one today, buy one today. They're great and you'll love it.

    If you want one today, hold off. It's not just the new OS you'll want to upgrade but iLife as well. Those two pieces of software could cost in the neighborhood of 10% of the purchase, an amount that people jump through all sorts of hoops to save. (scamming ed discounts etc.) Not that there's anything wrong with that.

    Personally I also want a 60 day test of what I assume will be a new iWork.

    It's great being in a position where the worst that can happen is you'll make a good choice.
     
  14. shikimo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lyon, France
    #15
    Exactamundo: this is the shortest and most accurate answer possible to the OP, IMHO.
     
  15. kimnkk macrumors member

    kimnkk

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2007
    Location:
    Me!bourne, Australia
    #16
    Hi guys (Mac newbie here),

    Say if i get an iMac now, and iLife 07 is released within a week or two, will i be eligible for iLife 07 for a small shipping fee or so?

    That's what i've heard from reading the forums, but my searches bring up nothing (mainly due to the fact that i don't know what words to search exactly).

    If there is such a policy of allowing 'upgrades' to newly released software for newly purchased systems, can anyone shed more light on the matter?

    Thanks!
     
  16. 2Shae macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #17
    These iMac's are freakin' cool!!!
    i just got my first every Mac and all I can say is that they ARE better than pc's (by far in my eyes)

    Well back to the question...
    If I were you I would wait. I also waited since September already, but I had to buy a new pc since my old one suddenly died on me for no reason :confused:

    Not that the current ones suck but you are gonna hate you're self if you buy it now and the new upgrade was just a month away.
     
  17. shikimo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lyon, France
    #18
    There is no such policy, per se, and if you buy something now and an unannounced update happens shortly thereafter you're likely SOL. What you've probably picked up from the forums is that often Apple will officially announce software or OS upgrades with an advance delivery date, and then also tell us that if we buy qualifying hardware in the meantime it will come with a little coupon or voucher for a discount or completely free version of the upcoming release when it happens. There is no law that says they will do this, but it is a good way of keeping hardware sales from lagging during times like this when everyone knows new goodies are on the horizon. I really hope and expect this happens for Leopard and iLife/iWorks, as the latter will almost certainly be married to Leopard in a big way, but one never knows...

    ...anyway, I'm waiting, and if you don't NEED your machine now, why not put it off a bit? The deal's only going to get sweeter.
     
  18. bananaquit macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location:
    Montana
    #19
    Hi Everyone. I'm new to Mac and have been waiting about 3 months to buy an iMac. I appreciate all the great advice I've read on this forum and will continue to wait since I don't need the machine right now (there is something to be said for blissful ignorance, however :)) At the risk of feeding my impatient rationalizations, I have one question: besides the extra cost, are there downsides to installing an upgraded OS yourself compared to a factory install?
    Thanks!
     

Share This Page