Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I have a PM G5 and iMac G4, both in my signature. I recently purchased a new mini since I'm giving up my MBP and I'm wondering if I have too many Macs.

Financially, I can afford it, I guess. It's not like I'm starving but I can sell one and get a desk or display. Since I've bought them though, they've basically just sat around in the spare bedroom, and I feel bad for them.

But when I turn them on, it's like magic, and I don't want to give them away. Is this how beginning collectors feel or am I just being wishy washy?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's what owning a PowerPC Mac does to you. It has nothing to do with collecting and everything to do with the great design and appeal these Macs exhibit.

I wouldn't feel too bad about keeping them and not using them every day. They still will be used. This is one of the reasons that I parceled out different duties for each of the Macs I own, instead of using one Mac for all of them.

In any case, wondering if you have too many is really not applicable here. Most of us have more than two and some of use have far more than 50.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
When I was looking at desks (haven't had a desktop in 9 years!) I thought I could maybe get one that's ~2ft wide for the iMac and use that to play music in the living room. The kitchen would be awesome but it's way too big. Even if I picked up one with a smaller screen the base is too clunky.

I actually ordered a wifi and bluetooth cable a few days ago and I hope to put them in. I need to make sure I don't smash these. They weren't too expensive but it's a stupid mistake to make.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've got a G4 taking up about 80% of one wall in our living room. My wife just decided to surrender it to me and work everything else around it.

Of course, if I didn't have six displays attached to the Mac it would probably take up far less room. :D

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Why not keep both? Use the iMac G4 and place 10.4/9.2.2 on it, so you can get the best of both worlds for things like retro games and such (even though it's through Classic). Use the G5 as a 10.5 machine for classic games that need more horsepower.

If I had to choose one to keep, though, it'd be hard. Both systems have oddities. The iMac's screen could blow or the G5's liquid cooling system can leak and destroy everything in its path. I will say that I do regret giving away my iMac G4.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
But when I turn them on, it's like magic, and I don't want to give them away.

Unless they're getting in the way, keep them for that reason alone.
I've got lots of vintage gizmos and feel the same about them but I don't consider myself a collector of any sorts.
I wouldn't definitely say keep the iMac - even if it's just for show - if it goes, you'll regret it!

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I think y'all are right. And I just got a refund in my account for the bluetooth and wifi cable I ordered. I know there are dongles and such to fix it but I was hoping for an original fix.

mzs.112000

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
I've got a G4 taking up about 80% of one wall in our living room. My wife just decided to surrender it to me and work everything else around it.

Of course, if I didn't have six displays attached to the Mac it would probably take up far less room. :D

You have a G4 with 6 displays?!?! What graphics card do you have? I don't know about any PowerPC compatible card that works with more than 2 displays, unless you have multiple GPU's and a nuclear power plant in your back yard.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You have a G4 with 6 displays?!?! What graphics card do you have? I don't know about any PowerPC compatible card that works with more than 2 displays, unless you have multiple GPU's and a nuclear power plant in your back yard.

1 AGP ATI Radeon 9800 Pro --> 20" Apple Cinema Display and 20" HDTV
1 PCI ATI Radeon 9200 --> 17" Apple Cinema Display and 18" Gateway LCD
1 PCI ATI Radeon 7000 --> 17" Apple Cinema Display and 18" Gateway LCD.

Click on the "6 Displays" underlined link in my signature and you will see them.

mzs.112000

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
1 AGP ATI Radeon 9800 Pro --> 20" Apple Cinema Display and 20" HDTV
1 PCI ATI Radeon 9200 --> 17" Apple Cinema Display and 18" Gateway LCD
1 PCI ATI Radeon 7000 --> 17" Apple Cinema Display and 18" Gateway LCD.

Click on the "6 Displays" underlined link in my signature and you will see them.

That is a lot of displays(I only have 1, a 17" HP), but where is the large power plant needed to run all those displays, and the GPU's?!?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That is a lot of displays(I only have 1, a 17" HP), but where is the large power plant needed to run all those displays, and the GPU's?!?
LOL. It's inside the Mac. Standard issue PSU. :D

The way it is now…

2015-07-08 19.15.52.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Nah, not too bad. :D Although my wife refers to it as Mission Control too! ;)

Every job I've had since 1999 has required some form of IT experience because they were/are one to two man shops. So, I've gained quite a bit of experience in troubleshooting my own problems and connecting stuff. That and I'm partial towards computers and technology anyway.

My MacPro at work has three monitors. One video card though.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Beautiful setup. I was looking for a QS when I stumbled across my PMG5. I went on CL last night looking for G4s.... hardly any out there, just a few laptops. Maybe I'll pick one up.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Beautiful setup. I was looking for a QS when I stumbled across my PMG5. I went on CL last night looking for G4s.... hardly any out there, just a few laptops. Maybe I'll pick one up.
Just keep in mind that in general the MDDs will be a better performer. Both the DAs (Digital Audio) and Quicksilvers share a 1.5GB ram limitation and the early Quicksilvers are limited to seeing only 128GB drives.

There are ways around that though. For instance, I have a $10 flashed SATA card with two 1TB SATA hard drives connected to it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
At any given time, do you actually have something on all six displays?
Yes. :D

I use specific monitors for specific things. The two Gateway LCDs by the way are circa 2001-2002 and have issues, particularly the one on the far left. They go spastic. So, I use them mainly for open windows that I don't close very often.

The rest I have specific apps dedicated to and when I need those apps open all at once is when the screens are all occupied. That's usually when I'm designing something.

EDIT: And for those wondering about power, the bill is actually not that bad. I have far more fear of the bill I get when using the A/C all day during August in Phoenix under SRP's most expensive billing period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.