Should I partition my HD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by yoak, Apr 3, 2006.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I just ordered a new 20" iMac, and intend to use it for some editing. I´m a cameraman and don´t do any heavy editing, just smaller projects like my showreel.
    Is it wise to partition the hard drive and keep one part just for editing?

2. cairo macrumors regular

I use one large partition myself... but I have a separate drives for scratch disks, etc.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Since you don't do anything heavy, I'd say don't bother. OS X handles large files quite well, thanks to HFS+.

If you get more into it, then maybe... or just get an external drive. Partitioning I don't think is that needed.

4. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't bother. It is very easy to partition one of them too small (not leaving room for more apps, or not enough space for video), and it's a pain in the @$$ to get it back.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I would suggest buying a FW HDD and storing your media files on that.

Lethal

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I usually do. But, i like doing it because it keeps my important off of the OS X partition. It is also helpful in that when a new update to the OS comes out, i can safely delete the old OS, and install a clean version of OS X. Also, beneficial when the there are major problems with OS software.

just my two cents. Ryan

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

This is probably the best solution for doing what you want to do yoak. Leave your HDD go with only one partition, and when you need to, buy an external Firewire 800/400 hard drive.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is what I do.

Plus I follow Lethal Wolf's idea of an external FW HD.

Both ideas are very helpful. Plus you can use the external for backing up your internal HD because you never know when the HD will go Tango Uniform.

9. cairo macrumors regular

yah I agree external FW drive would seem to make the most sense

10. sturigdson macrumors regular

Count me in on this category- unless you're doing REALLY light editing, I'd avoid the partition and go straight to a firewire drive. Why reformat/reinstall when you don't have to, and when you'll have to expand your storage in the future anyway? Also, I dedicate my external drives to video.

11. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

The external seems the best solution, I won´t really do much until FCE goes UB (and that could be a while yet) as I don´t really need FCS for what I do.
    By then I will have some money again:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input