Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I just ordered a new 20" iMac, and intend to use it for some editing. I´m a cameraman and don´t do any heavy editing, just smaller projects like my showreel.
Is it wise to partition the hard drive and keep one part just for editing?

cairo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
I use one large partition myself... but I have a separate drives for scratch disks, etc.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Since you don't do anything heavy, I'd say don't bother. OS X handles large files quite well, thanks to HFS+.

If you get more into it, then maybe... or just get an external drive. Partitioning I don't think is that needed.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I wouldn't bother. It is very easy to partition one of them too small (not leaving room for more apps, or not enough space for video), and it's a pain in the @$$ to get it back.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I usually do. But, i like doing it because it keeps my important off of the OS X partition. It is also helpful in that when a new update to the OS comes out, i can safely delete the old OS, and install a clean version of OS X. Also, beneficial when the there are major problems with OS software.

just my two cents. Ryan

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
LethalWolfe said:
I would suggest buying a FW HDD and storing your media files on that.

Lethal

This is probably the best solution for doing what you want to do yoak. Leave your HDD go with only one partition, and when you need to, buy an external Firewire 800/400 hard drive.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Sweetfeld28 said:
I usually do. But, i like doing it because it keeps my important off of the OS X partition. It is also helpful in that when a new update to the OS comes out, i can safely delete the old OS, and install a clean version of OS X. Also, beneficial when the there are major problems with OS software.

just my two cents. Ryan
This is what I do.

Plus I follow Lethal Wolf's idea of an external FW HD.

Both ideas are very helpful. Plus you can use the external for backing up your internal HD because you never know when the HD will go Tango Uniform.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
cairo said:
yah I agree external FW drive would seem to make the most sense

Count me in on this category- unless you're doing REALLY light editing, I'd avoid the partition and go straight to a firewire drive. Why reformat/reinstall when you don't have to, and when you'll have to expand your storage in the future anyway? Also, I dedicate my external drives to video.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
The external seems the best solution, I won´t really do much until FCE goes UB (and that could be a while yet) as I don´t really need FCS for what I do.
By then I will have some money again:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.